• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF at VIRGINIA 7 pm FRIDAY, ESPN2

I watched the replay.

How many holds did they miss against vas o-line?

In what universe were our 2 touchdowns reviewed and the Virginia touchdown where the ball clearly hit the ground wasn't?

The same universe in which UVA good. Wake is Wake. VA win. They haven't realized what Clawson has built at Wake with 9 super seniors.

ETA: All scoring plays are supposed to be reviewed.

Last edited:
You are not sold on our defense after we held UVA to three points in a half while missing two of our best defenders?

I think it’s fair to be concerned about the D game in and game out. They let UVA get to the 5 yard line on the two opening drives. Only giving up 3 points is not going to happen if you keep doing that.

I’m pleased with how the D played last night and there were two key guys out, but I also don’t think it’s like we’re going out there and creating a ton of three-and-outs either. UVA only had to punt twice.

The same universe in which UVA good. Wake is Wake. VA win. They haven't realized what Clawson has built at Wake with 9 super seniors.

ETA: All scoring plays are supposed to be reviewed.

The announcers claimed that it was reviewed. But it must have been a cursory review. I don't think that they would have changed the call but it was way less clear than the TD pass that Perry caught which they did review.

I think it’s fair to be concerned about the D game in and game out. They let UVA get to the 5 yard line on the two opening drives. Only giving up 3 points is not going to happen if you keep doing that.

I’m pleased with how the D played last night and there were two key guys out, but I also don’t think it’s like we’re going out there and creating a ton of three-and-outs either. UVA only had to punt twice.
Virginia has a pretty elite passing attack, were home, and playing a must win game. They had scored 43, 42 and 39 in their 3 games. The only reason they got down to the 5 on their 1st possession was due to a questionable penalty on a 3rd down call.

Turnovers cut down on the need for UVA to punt. One series for them was a one and out as Wake picked off the first pass in the series.

UVA got a lot of empty yards at the end of the game when Wake went prevent.

that was Wake’s A game

complete domination in all facets

Also a good defense stiffens up in the red zone and keep teams out of the end zone and force them to kick field goals… which is what we did. We stopped them both of the two drives.

Last edited:
It kind of reminded of the Phillip Rivers Heisman tour game at Groves in 2003 I think. We won 42-24, but State ran up abunch of numbers on offense, but we controlled the game. However, I think this Wake team is much better than that one. Seems like we had a punt return TD, got some meaningful turnovers, etc. Last night we controlled that game physically.

I mean a lot of their passes were well covered. A lot of our passing yards were guys wide open in the middle of the field. Much more sustainable.

Agreed. We seem to have a solid defense with a stout run defense, good pass rush, and solid coverage. We do not have an elite, swarming defense, which, to my untrained eye, is largely due to lack of speed at linebacker. There were a couple of times when Armstrong escaped contain and turned the corner. As the camera would pan downfield, you'd expect (hope) to see two or three defenders flying towards him, but instead there was nothing but green grass. I'm afraid that will hurt us against teams with a lot of speed that run screens and short-to-intermediate routes over the middle to get their receivers in space. Still, it's the best defense we've had in years, and there's still room to improve.

I thought Bronco got a little cute early trying to run twice in the red zone, as Armstrong was having his way; we later got cute at the end of the first half trying to throw in the red zone when running could have guaranteed at least one of the end of the half or a TD.

But questionable UVA play calls aside, our D certainly stiffened up when needed. This looks like potentially the best defense of the Clawson era (hard to quantify the D his first few years as the O was so dreadful).

They were also 0-3 on 4th down conversions.

Our next 4 games will define our season. I’m not really sure how good we are yet, as I don’t feel we have played anyone. Going 4-0 over next four is the dream, but I would be happy to enter UNC 7-1

Defense begins with the defensive line. Wake has a very good, if not elite defensive line. They have manhandled two P5 offensive lines. Vilain was all over the YVA backfield. If UVA isn't holding continuously, he gets more sacks.

Miles Fox was unavailable because he was accepting a certificate as honorary fifth member of the FSU backfield after he spent last game there.

I watched the replay.

How many holds did they miss against vas o-line?

In what universe were our 2 touchdowns reviewed and the Virginia touchdown where the ball clearly hit the ground wasn't?

Anybody still questioning how Nick Anderson makes us a better football team after he was right there breaking up the pass on that 4th down and then stuffing Armstrong on that 3rd down run? Potential 11 pts off the board during key moments when we established control the game.

Anderson is in the right place at eight time. Good game.

Like our tight end Blake Whiteheart a lot.

Man if Holmes hadn’t dropped that easy sure fire pick at the beginning of the second half we could have blown the doors off them. That would have been an absolute nail in the coffin.

Back