• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Baseball Series 1: #12 Duke | Fri: L (5-8) / Sat: W (6-3) / Sun: L (8-10) (ACCNX)

IAppreciateIt

no bunting allowed
Reaction score
Opponent: Duke (#12)
Venue: The Couch
Record: 11-1 (0-0)
RPI: 10th

Schedule
Friday: 6p / ACCNX
Saturday: 3p / ACCNX
Sunday: 1p / ACCNX

Rain looks probably on Saturday, and overall temps are pretty chilly.

Last Year's Results
3/10: W, 8-6
3/11: L, 1-8
3/11: W, 5-3

The Deacs won the series last year, but it was close. Santucci dominated us early (eventually had 11 strikeouts) while Duke touched up Lowder early and were up 4-0 before we came back and won off a 3-run home run by Brock Wilken. We got destroyed in game 2, didn't have a baserunner until the 7th inning and played bad defense. Hartle pitched well in the second game of a double header in the rubber match, but it got scary at the end.

Opponent Overview and Analytics
Duke is 11-1 and have pounded lesser opponents and have some decent wins (Indiana, @Coastal). They did lose a 3-4 game to Akron at home. Their most recent game was a 28-2 thrashing vs App State.

Schedule and results: https://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2024/schedule/Duke

Offense: Duke looks really different from last year, when they lost to UVA in game 3 of the super regionals. Only two of their starting position players is back (C Alex Stone and OF Tyler Albright), with a ton of transfers and freshmen in the lineup now. It hasn't really hurt them as they have scored 10.75 runs per game and have as 1.142 team OPS -- with a lot of incoming transfers outperforming their previous stats. The two returning starters are the only ones with an OPS under 1.050. That said, based on their historical #s, there is a good chance that better quality pitching might neutralize them.

Projected lineup:
1/ 2b Zac Morris (transfer from VMI)
2/ 3B Ben Miller (transfer from Penn)
3/ C Alex Stone
4/ 1B Logan Bravo (transfer from Harvard)
5/ RF AJ Gracia (freshman)
6/ CF Devin Obee (has broken out so far -- had a good series against us last year as a backup)
7/ DH Macon Winslow (freshman)
8/ LF Tyler Albright
9/ SS Wallace Clark (transfer from OU)

Pitching: Last season, Duke effectively had one starting pitcher (who has since graduated) after Santucci got hurt, and they relied on a super good bullpen. Santucci is back and hasn't given up a run, and their other starters look pretty good as well. The bullpen has been good again, although their two best returning arms (James Tallon and Fran Oschell) have struggled after being unhittable last year -- but other guys have picked up the slack. It looks like they will throw three lefty starters at us, although their sunday starter role has been in some flux.

Projected rotation:
Fr: LHP Jonathan Santucci: 0.00 ERA, 31/7 K/BB in 17 ip
Sa: LHP Andrew Healey: 3.00 ERA, 16/5 K/BB in 12 ip)
Sun: LHP Kyle Johnson: 0.00 ERA, 11/2 K/BB in 12 ip)

Key bullpen arms:
RHP Charlie Beilenson (0.00 ERA, 0/17 K/BB in 10 ip)
RHP Gabriel Nard (1.17 ERA, 7/1 K/BB in 7.2 ip)

Duke Team Stats: https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/team.cgi?id=cae224bd

Last edited:
I'm planning to be there for Friday night. What is the parking situation like at the Couch this season?

Wait, is Duke's leadoff man really named Zack Morris?

Hartle/Santucci match-up has got to be perhaps the best starting pitcher pairing of the NCAA baseball season thus far.

Hartle/Santucci match-up has got to be perhaps the best starting pitcher pairing of the NCAA baseball season thus far.
Two projected first rounders. Pretty cool. I wish I could make it tomorrow. Going to try for Sunday.

If you’re casting a Disney channel series.

i was sure that seth rogen's character in knocked up was named ben miller. but it actually turned out to be ben stone which was even more incidental. (he was KEN MILLER in freaks and geeks).

and along w/ johnny bravo at 1st, i thought wallace clark was the name of the short weird guy from princess bride (also the voice of the trex in toy story), but thats actually wallace shawn.

It's pretty reasonable that it ends up being the best starting pitcher matchup of the regular season.

Only one I can think of that might compare is Friday night in the LSU/Arkansas series with Hurd vs Smith

Duke's Sunday starter frosh LHP Kyle Johnson is an Ohtani knock-off.

His pitching numebers are essentially perfect so far (11 IP 0 runs 11 Ks), and he is batting .333, slugging .542 as a hitter. Out of HS he was rated higher as an OF than as a pitcher, but he exels at both. Johnson is also a plus runner.

kj.png

I'm planning to be there for Friday night. What is the parking situation like at the Couch this season?

Couch lot is paid (but I've slid in for free to one of the games this season arriving late), Deacon Tower lot is free but you have to get there early as it fills up fast. Annex lot is then the third option. Can always go sneaky and do the tennis lot if needed.

Edit: As a reference point I was setting up my tailgate at 11:30 in the deacon tower lot Sunday for the 2pm start. I had my pick of the spots but it filled in pretty quickly starting at about 12:30ish.

Just remember new baseball posters, this is the game thread. When you’re ready to give up on life because Kurtz pops up a change up or Hartle misses the strike zone, post those thoughts here. NOT the season thread. There may be posts in that thread but mostly about facilities or Ron Wellman you can just ignore those posts.

Comments about bloops or Seaver King’s ability to hit belong here.

We should storm the field when we win. If there is a brawl, maybe Zack Morris will use the hold he used at the Max.

Just remember new baseball posters, this is the game thread. When you’re ready to give up on life because Kurtz pops up a change up or Hartle misses the strike zone, post those thoughts here. NOT the season thread. There may be posts in that thread but mostly about facilities or Ron Wellman you can just ignore those posts.

I really hope y'all haven't fucked the season with this game thread nonsense.

I need your traffic cop energy during the game when I’m 6 beers deep hollering at whatever schmuck is coming on in a pinch about to give up a 3spot bomb to Nukes, cause imma be honest, I’m posting in the first thing that says “baseball”.

Not sure if it's just the first time I've seen it, but the MAR10 is a great idea.

Back