• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Baseball

I've seen UVa play a few times this year and I think we can win one. I see them as like FSU which we took one from. They are better than Clemson (which we rarely take a series from regardless of where we play) and worse than Miami, IMO. Of course, I said we could sweep Duke and lose 2 to NC State......the State prediction was correct (although I didn't think the 2 State wins would be blowouts) and Duke totally dominated us, doing everything right....may be the best team we've played in ACC....

Not sure what your definition of "totally dominated" is but losing 5-2, 6-5 and 8-6 sure doesn't sound like my definition. We led in 2 of the games and should have won at least 1, probably 2. Bad losses? Definitely. Dominated?...no way.

Up through Maryland Wake was 8-4 in games McLeod and Fischer started. Since then 0-6. That's the season. We are actually 3-3 in games Kaden or a fill-in has started since Maryland.

Don't understand Walter's management of the pitching staff either. Why not plug Connor Johnstone in to start a game against Duke on Sunday after moving Kaden up? Instead we plugged Garrett Kelly into his first career start in one of the most important games of the season.

Dunshee should have started tonight. Starting Fossas is comical. Just ridiculous.

I'm a pretty big proponent of firing Walter after this year. We've done better than expected, but primarily because the ACC had a down year. Picked to finish sixth in the division, clearly have more talent than we were projected to, and we still shit the bed.

Yeah- I haven't watched a lot of games over the past few years, but in the games I did watch there were several head scratching decisions made.

I mean, he all but tried to give NCSU the game the other night...on ESPN.

Bantering with Austin Johnson on Twitter and he seems to believe (albeit neither of us can find solid tiebreaker information on the internet) that Wake still needs to win one game unless Pitt loses another. He can't figure out State's condition either. The ACC information for baseball is awful.

Yeah Wake isn't in yet. It goes to common opponents over divisional record for non-divisional opponents (based on 2006 information - the latest we can find).

Got word from ACC Baseball - it's common opponents record which I believe still leaves Wake on the outside looking in. Of course just avoiding a sweep gets us in.

So we're still not in with Pitt losing? We def need another loss for them or 1 win over Virginia?

I'm driving up from Texas hoping to see them play in the ACC Tournament on Tues.....actually heading to Charlotte area to visit with niece and family and thought a side trip to Greensboro next week would be nice.

It would take a huge surprise for us not to get in IMO. But it does appear we still need a little more to get in.

I'll actually be in town this week and will be interested in going to see the Deacs play as well. If they make it I'll be there for at least the first game.

Here's what Dan Collins had to say:

The Deacons, with one victory in the three-game series, will clinch a berth in next week’s ACC Tournament in Greensboro. The 10 teams with the best conference records — regardless of division — qualify for the tournament, and Wake Forest (13-14) can eliminate Georgia Tech (14-16) and clinch a spot with a win.

Wake Forest holds the tiebreaker from winning two of three against the Yellow Jackets in Atlanta in March.

If the Deacons lose all three to the Cavaliers, they would need either N.C. State (11-16) to lose twice at Virginia Tech or Pittsburgh (11-16) to lose twice at Notre Dame to make the tournament.

Full article: http://www.journalnow.com/sports/co...cle_be7036a6-dca0-11e3-bf1f-0017a43b2370.html

Pitt lost to ND yesterday (ND hoopster Pat Connaughton shut them out, PC will be a reasonably high pick in the MLB draft on June 5). So, it appears that the WF magic number to clinch a tourney berth is 1.

Holy Cow! Brazeale double, Moundou pinch HR, both on 99 MPH pitches from UVA closer. Deacs tie it with 2 outs in 9th!

Back