• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Baseball

Our lack of offense is killing us too. We have scored 6 or less runs in 10 consecutive games.

Wake Forest wins the Sunday game 5-2.

Nice win after the tough loss last night. Go Deacs!

Big win today....really wish we could have pulled that one out last night.

We would be seriously closing in on a bid with 2 this weekend. Damn we let one get away. Still think we are on track. Top 50 RPI and above .500 conference record should be enough.

We now have as many Sunday wins as Friday and Saturday. Kaden and crew have allowed us to salvage a win the last two weeks which has been huge.

State lost 2 of 3 at home to BC? Wow. This was a serious CWS contender at the beginning of the year and they have almost no chance of making the NCAAs. Maybe they will have thrown in the towel by two weeks from now.

Last edited:
If we take four of six against State and Duke (in whatever order), I think we're in barring a collapse in midweek games.

We're projected to finish 33-23 (16-14) which would be an RPI of 47. I think this still counts N.C. State being pretty solid, which the RPI and projected RPI both say they are - so we will see on that front.

I'm still pretty pissed about the managing yesterday. Horrific job by Walter on multiple occasions. Wedded to the sac bunt in situations where he needed to just let guys hit - particularly Shambley. Runner on third and one out and you choose a sac bunt? Inexcusable. Wake should have won this series and instead sitting here with today's win. It's a good win but it should have been two of three.

By RPI, Wake's toughest game in the next seven is Western in a week and a half. Two against Charlotte this week (200+ RPI), three against Duke (94), App State (almost 200), and then Western (62) before we go up against State in two weekends. Wake's gotta go at least 5-2 in these seven games. That puts us at 30-19 and either 14-10 or 15-9 (with a sweep of Duke depending on how those five wins fall), which will put us all over the bubble if not in.

State is dunzo. Like most projected "elite" state teams we fall on our faces early and often. This baseball team is not good. Two great talents in Rodon and Turner, a few solid freshmen, and a bunch of blah.

What website are y'all using for college baseball rpi, predicted record, etc.?

Do we put any stock in the possibility that the committee gives us a "make up" after being snubbed last go-round? I doubt they even think they made the wrong decision last time but it would be nice to catch a break

I doubt they do that. I don't know the last time a team with a winning ACC record was left out. May be more recent than I think but I'll check some stats today to see. If we sweep Duke were very well positioned but we absolutely have to sweep Charlotte this week

We had a good RPI that year, but our conference record was so so. It was still good enough to get a bid with a sweep of Clemson and a tourney win.

The committee has historically put more stock in weekend performance.

I just did a little research and it appears that no team with an above-.500 record in the ACC has been left out of the tournament since at least 2008. Wake and Duke are the only two teams over that span to be left out with a .500 record and four or five teams made it in with a below-.500 record - although it's interesting to note that these are the "name" schools baseball-wise from the ACC (UNC, Miami, Virginia).

Win our next five games - tall order - and we're almost certainly in. Two against a bad Charlotte team and a weekend series with Duke who we're tied with in the ACC standings.

I give us 20% chance to sweep Charlotte. we just don't have much luck with midweek games.

Back