• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Basketball Transfers (In & Out): Jalen Johnson (UT) IN !!!!!!!!!

Sounds like the coach didn’t feel there was a good option off the bench.

One of the guys is the coach's son. He has played that kind of minutes most of his career at OSU. He's a really good player. The other one was a Top 30 or so recruit.

Williamson went to Winston-Salem Prep, and I just read an article about how their long-time coach is leaving. Forbesy gonna find him a spot for a gig to lure Williamson?? YESSSS. Do it. We need some shady stuff!

Anybody else think it would be a bad look for Forbes and McKie to bring ETSU transfers to Wake ? Not really for Wake, but I doubt he wants to burn bridges with ETSU. Plus, one of his assistants, Shay, is the new head coach.

Anybody else think it would be a bad look for Forbes and McKie to bring ETSU transfers to Wake ? Not really for Wake, but I doubt he wants to burn bridges with ETSU. Plus, one of his assistants, Shay, is the new head coach.

Depends on the situation. One of the potential transfers, Daivien Williamson is from W-S. So, transferring to his hometown school should not be characterized as "raiding" ETSU.

Now, if Forbes brings in Bo Hodges (their best returning player) and Jalen Johnson (the transfer from TN) too, I can see Jason Shay and ETSU fanbase being pissed. That said, this is big boy basketball; compared to the shady dealings of Arizona, KS, L'ville, NC State, UNC and apparently Duke, recruiting a few kids from ETSU is tame.

We don't care about looking bad any more. That's some Wellman SARRender talk. We care about the almighty W now. Shay better put on his big boy britches and get ready to get rocked by Forbes playing the 4D chess by hiring Williamson's high school coach and bringing him home.

Did it look bad when manning brought Wilbekin from Tulsa? Did anybody care?

The only difference here is the relationship Forbes has with Shay and whether he feels like a dick “poaching” players. Nobody else will care.

If they want to come to Wake and/or Forbes wants them, so what.
So what if Shay is Forbes' friend; Forbes likely helped Shay plenty already by helping him get the head coaching job anyway. Forbes said he plans on winning now, not starting to win in 2022. If that means taking on ETSU's top scorers because they want to follow him to Wake, I have little doubt that he'll do it.
Besides, no one's going to give a shit about ETSU fans crying about it into their Midnight Moon.

If they want to come to Wake and/or Forbes wants them, so what.
So what if Shay is Forbes' friend; Forbes likely helped Shay plenty already by helping him get the head coaching job anyway. Forbes said he plans on winning now, not starting to win in 2022. If that means taking on ETSU's top scorers because they want to follow him to Wake, I have little doubt that he'll do it.
Besides, no one's going to give a shit about ETSU fans crying about it into their Midnight Moon.

100% agree. He will be sacrificing rebuild time if he passes on these kids because he doesn't want to hurt ETSU and Shay's feelings. This is the big leagues now and as mentioned, the sooner he wins the sooner he brings in top recruits.

The addition of 3 or 4 guys from ETSU would immediately make us competitive. Not NCAAT competitive but middle of the pack ACC competitive if the chips fall our way.

Winning 8 games this season versus 14 is a huge difference in the eyes of recruits. Many 16/17 year old kids aren't looking at the big picture of program rebuild. They're looking at which school gives me inmediate exposure and which school gives me the best chance of winning year 1 on campus. That's just the nature of the beast.

Williamson went to Winston-Salem Prep, and I just read an article about how their long-time coach is leaving. Forbesy gonna find him a spot for a gig to lure Williamson?? YESSSS. Do it. We need some shady stuff!

Think it's more likely Gould winds up at Moravian or Quality Education Academy.

All due respect, you hire Michael Beasley's AAU coach or Danny Manning's father to get them. Not sure you hire a high school coach to secure ETSU's third-leading scorer if you're taking an ACC job.

Andre Gould. He's a good coach. I'm not sure why he is stepping down, but I do wonder about health issues. Here is a video of him from a few years back https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfYr8FwoGEQ

All due respect, you hire Michael Beasley's AAU coach or Danny Manning's father to get them. Not sure you hire a high school coach to secure ETSU's third-leading scorer if you're taking an ACC job.

Totally agree. You can't play the "hire an assistant coach to bring in a recruit" card for a role player. That's a go all-in move to change the level of the program. Williamson is a nice player, but he is not a program changer.

Last edited:
Yeah, dudes, I was joking. Sorry. Poorly delivered I guess. Since Forbes has a prior relationship I don't think it would even be necessary.

That being said, we're Wake and have been on bad run. We can't be too blatant with the shady stuff. Gotta ease our way in. I do like Williamson though.

The only difference here is the relationship Forbes has with Shay and whether he feels like a dick “poaching” players. Nobody else will care.

Hah, I failed so miserably at trying to ask this same question earlier --- sorry ---- thank you Covid-19 for severely reducing sleep, making me exhausted and apparently, a complete idiot.

That said, I think Steve must be considering how this impacts Shay - how could he not?

Hah, I failed so miserably at trying to ask this same question earlier --- sorry ---- thank you Covid-19 for severely reducing sleep, making me exhausted and apparently, a complete idiot.

That said, I think Steve must be considering how this impacts Shay - how could he not?

T's & P's
Hope you and yours are well.

Thanks for posting this.

Makes zero sense to hire the coach of a kid you probably could have easily brought in out of high school. He's played well for ETSU, but he was in no way a heralded recruit. I can't even find a profile for him on 24/7 or Rivals. Saw something that said he was the #33 recruit in NC that year... From what I've seen, there are only 5-10 kids a year from NC that end up at the ACC level.

Back