• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Basketball Transfers (In & Out): Jalen Johnson (UT) IN !!!!!!!!!

I have zero direct knowledge. I am only basing that on the impression I get from online reading (mostly message board). Sorry I didn’t clarify that.
Yeah, I was surprised by his ability as a Frosh. I would have expected a tall guard with his pedigree to potentially be over-hyped. I was pleasantly surprised by how good he was relative to his ranking/rep. He was inconsistent and could disappear but he was a freshman. He seems like one of the ones that might benefit most from Forbes’ style and player development. Hopefully Forbes can convince him.

Why does everyone feel like Sarr is gonna leave? Growing consensus seems like no one expects him to be back, but I don't see why not. If he truly wants to improve his draft stock, I don't see why he wouldn't do that continuing the trajectory's he's on playing vs ACC competition. Plus, I thought he was pretty serious about getting his degree. I could see if he had declared for the draft but didn't that window close?

I don't know, I just get the sense that Zeke was the first domino and now the rest are starting to fall. If Neath comes back, that could sway Sarr knowing there would be some experience in the back court who knows how to get him the ball. Also, who doesn't think Forbes isn't going to pull a couple rabbits out of the hat in luring a couple more GT players?

Sarr doesn't need to play for a title to get to the NBA, he just needs to continue what he's doing at Wake. They CAN be competitive if they all commit to what Forbes' plan and vision.

And the longer this goes on, the more likely he is to leave.

Gonna be pretty awkward though when we face UK in the NCAA tournament next spring.

Any possibility of any of Forbes’ players or recruits wanting to follow him to Wake?

Any possibility of any of Forbes’ players or recruits wanting to follow him to Wake?

Forbes addressed this obliquely. He talked about "family" and I don't think he would undercut his former assistant (Jason Shay)who is the interim and leader for the head coach job at ETSU. So, don't expect any current or recruited ETSU players to come to Wake.

I think Forbes understands that the 2020 - 2021 season is going to be a mess. At Wake, he knows he has a reasonably long leash to get things right. Forbes will try to give his former top assistant a decent start on a successful run at ETSU, so he too can get a P6 HC job. He will help Shay build success on success.

At Wake, Forbes knows he is following three really bad years. As a new coach, he gets a pass with the lack of a foundation, player attrition the last few years and the mess in academic calendars for the current year.

Now, if Jason Shay does not get the HC job at ETSU, then that may change. Forbes may not feel so much "family" to a coach from somewhere else. Moreso if Shay ends up on the staff at Wake.

Forbes could become an instant Wake legend by getting everyone to return. It's very unlikely, but if he does. WOW!

If Shay doesn’t get the job and they feel like the ETSU player from Winston would be allowed to play immediately, they’ll try to get him.

From what I've been seeing, the votes aren't there for the transfer rule to be in place for the next season.

Correct. It is becoming unlikely that any of these guys can transfer and play next year. They can apply for a waiver but a coaching change isn’t one of the stated exceptions. The NCAA is all over the place in what they approve with no consistency. I wouldn’t give up my Wake scholarship to transfer and hope the NCAA eventually approves my waiver.

Correct. It is becoming unlikely that any of these guys can transfer and play next year. They can apply for a waiver but a coaching change isn’t one of the stated exceptions. The NCAA is all over the place in what they approve with no consistency. I wouldn’t give up my Wake scholarship to transfer and hope the NCAA eventually approves my waiver.
The biggest consistency among approved NCAA waivers is the destination school. Certain schools get their waivers approved at a seemingly much higher rate than others.

I know, I know... it's really surprising that the same organization that let UNC skate but punishes other schools harshly for minor violations would play favorites with transfer waivers, but it's true.

The biggest consistency among approved NCAA waivers is the destination school. Certain schools get their waivers approved at a seemingly much higher rate than others.

I know, I know... it's really surprising that the same organization that let UNC skate but punishes other schools harshly for minor violations would play favorites with transfer waivers, but it's true.

In the immortal words of Gomer Pyle, "Surprise, surprise, surprise!"

I would be interested to see what Sharone Wright would become with Forbes. Guess we won’t find out.

I believe Wright’s dad is good friends with Manning. Interestingly, he should have played a lot more at Wake.

The evidence suggests these guys just aren’t very good regardless. Sure it would be nice if some of the guys choose tot return, mostly because it would be a nice look for Forbes, but I don’t really think they matter in the grand scheme.

We were ranked #103 by KP. I guess a nice thought that we actually had good players and Manning was so bad he ruined them, but when we had John Collins we were ranked 35th. Even Manning’s last Tulsa team was ranked 82. I would say priority #1 for Forbes to turn the program is getting new talent from the transfer market.

Take a guy like Massoud — his likely ceiling is something like Austin Arians, who is the classic grad transfer available every year. Sarr and Brown are nice but they are also rising seniors and not nearly as good as Collins.

Back