• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Basketball Transfers (In & Out): Jalen Johnson (UT) IN !!!!!!!!!

Massoud>Arians. If you think otherwise, never become a basketball scout.

On one hand, you're kind of underrating Arians.

On the other, if Massoud becomes a star then I'll happily eat my hat (and your hat).

This is where I'm coming from: Massoud was a borderline Top-150 recruit and his freshman numbers just don't really stand out to me.

Per game: 4.8 points, 2.0 rebounds, 0.3 assists, 0.4 blocks, 0.3 steals, 0.7 turnover
Per 40: 15.7 points, 6.6 rebounds, 0.9 assists, 1.3 blocks, 1.1 steals, 2.4 turnovers

Percentages: 35.9% 2FG (5.8 2FGA40), 39.8% 3FG (12.4 3FGA40), and 75.9% FT (4.3 FT40A)

Dude is a lights out shooter and not much else right now, though it will be interesting to see if his per game defensive stats resemble his per 40 numbers once he gets more minutes. Massoud has a lot more to work with physically than Arians, but that didn't really translate into production as a freshman. Looking at the clips, I don't see handles or court vision and a pretty low rebounding %, which is definitely an issue when you're a 6'8, 200-pound combo-forward.

Arians was good, man. Dude only played 20 mpg and made almost two threes per game while starting for the only decent team during the Manning era.

Prove me wrong, Massoud. Get buckets.

ETA: It feels dope to care again, y'all.

Man, I'm not nearly as high on Massoud as others here but his freshman version was almost the same as Arians as a senior. Half the 3's in half the minutes, within 2 made shots of a higher percentage than Arians. Still managed to match him in total rebounds despite 50% of his floor time. Taller, more athletic (not that it was a high bar), 4 times more blocks (ie. he actually defended someone occasionally unlike Arians).

There's no contest for ceiling, what a joke.

On one hand, you're kind of underrating Arians.

On the other, if Massoud becomes a star then I'll happily eat my hat (and your hat).

This is where I'm coming from: Massoud was a borderline Top-150 recruit and his freshman numbers just don't really stand out to me.

Per game: 4.8 points, 2.0 rebounds, 0.3 assists, 0.4 blocks, 0.3 steals, 0.7 turnover
Per 40: 15.7 points, 6.6 rebounds, 0.9 assists, 1.3 blocks, 1.1 steals, 2.4 turnovers

Percentages: 35.9% 2FG (5.8 2FGA40), 39.8% 3FG (12.4 3FGA40), and 75.9% FT (4.3 FT40A)

Dude is a lights out shooter and not much else right now, though it will be interesting to see if his per game defensive stats resemble his per 40 numbers once he gets more minutes. Massoud has a lot more to work with physically than Arians, but that didn't really translate into production as a freshman. Looking at the clips, I don't see handles or court vision and a pretty low rebounding %, which is definitely an issue when you're a 6'8, 200-pound combo-forward.

Arians was good, man. Dude only played 20 mpg and made almost two threes per game while starting for the only decent team during the Manning era.

Prove me wrong, Massoud. Get buckets.

ETA: It feels dope to care again, y'all.

Now compare the per 40 with Arians Fr. year in the Horizon league. Add to that Massoud's Def. Efficiency rating vs Arians Def. Efficiency rating under Manning. Then watch the games they've played. Massoud is a better defender in every aspect, similar high-level shooter, taller with a longer wingspan, more athletic both in lateral quickness/agility and overall speed, jumps higher, has better handles. Massoud comes from a better pedigree both in his high school and AAU competition. Performed at a higher level in both. Arians had the benefit of defenses collapsing on Collins and Crawford, who were legitimate threats, allowing him to thrive in his top ability of shooting. Massoud had nowhere near that level of player next to him last season. I mean really, this is all obvious stuff.

I’ll always remember Arians in the game @VT, but for most of the season he was a solid, not great player. Certainly filled the needed spot at SF though.

It's funny. People remember the First Four team being horrible on defense leading to their quasi-bid and immediate exit. Yet people remember Arians as a really good player because he hit some 3's but was completely one-dimensional. I mean, it's actually pretty hard to avoid the basketball on the defensive side of the court to the point that in 3 consecutive games you play 70 minutes and don't manage to grab a single rebound, have a single steal, or get a single block. But he did it.

Arians was the kind of player who could put a good team over the top as a reliable bench shooter. If Massoud can hit around 1.7 threes a game in 15-20 minutes of the bench for a good team, I think that’s quite good.

I think Wake fans are forgetting how good players on decent to good teams actually are.

I miss it so bad. Much better job market than academia that's for sure... :(

The job market is going to be a mixed bag. Some schools aren’t doing anything. Word here is that we are going to be aggressively hiring like we did during the Great Recession. One of my wife’s students just got invited to interview for a really good tenure track job in Canada.

Arians was the starter on a tourney team, 35th ranked on KP. I think that’s what you hope for from a recruit in the 100-200 range. Very rarely you get lucky with a guy like Collins and other times you get someone like CJ Harris, but I don’t even think the expectation of the latter is very realistic.

Arians was the starter on a tourney team, 35th ranked on KP. I think that’s what you hope for from a recruit in the 100-200 range. Very rarely you get lucky with a guy like Collins and other times you get someone like CJ Harris, but I don’t even think the expectation of the latter is very realistic.

This.

I hope Massoud proves us wrong.

There you have it. Score 10 and give up 15 on defense for a team that regardless of their kenpom rank only sorta made the tourney and immediately lost due to awful defense but the fans remember you as a winner. Go figure.

There was nothing "elite" about Austin Arians. Good set shooter who thrived off Collins domination inside. Elite ACC scorers don't score more than 10 points in only 20% of their ACC season games. Adrien White scored the same points in the same number of minutes this year - guess he was just a few percentage points and kenpom steps from being elite.

What did that team have that no other team during Manning's tenure had?

Austin Fucking Arians.

I'm just kidding, but maybe not. Makes you wonder, though.

ETA: In all seriousness, though. I don't think the claim is that Arians is elite, though 42% from 3 is pretty damn good. Rather, the claim is that Massoud's ceiling looks like Arians senior year at Wake. Unfortunately, that's not really a testable claim since it hasn't happened yet.

They do when their coach plays Mitchell Wilbekin and Brandon Childress similar minutes off the bench in absurd three guard lineups.

There you have it. Score 10 and give up 15 on defense for a team that regardless of their kenpom rank only sorta made the tourney and immediately lost due to awful defense but the fans remember you as a winner. Go figure.

There was nothing "elite" about Austin Arians. Good set shooter who thrived off Collins domination inside. Elite ACC scorers don't score more than 10 points in only 20% of their ACC season games. Adrien White scored the same points in the same number of minutes this year - guess he was just a few percentage points and kenpom steps from being elite.

I certainly don't think anyone would argue Arians is some sort of stud. FWIW, he did have a quality year the previous season at Milwaukee (they were about as good that year as we were this season), so don't think you can credit all his production to Collins. And I do think White is pretty comparable in terms of quality as a player -- and I think either would be a really pleasant outcomes for a guy like Massoud.

If Massoud doesn’t come back, I’d be surprised if we can grab someone who is *definitely* better than him among the remaining uncommitted high school players or from the transfer portal. Same with Neath. I hope they both come back.

They do when their coach plays Mitchell Wilbekin and Brandon Childress similar minutes off the bench in absurd three guard lineups.

This. Its difficult to compare manning players because they were used haphazardly. Game to game. Season to season. The only consistent thing they got was inconsistency. Give Forbes that Collins team for an entire season and they are solidly in the dance. Dare I guess top 8 seed.

Now give Forbes last years team. Vastly different outcome. Certainly not world beaters but they would have been competitive every single night. They would have won more games they were the underdog and likely most of the games, if not all, that they were favored.

Everyone giving the kids under manning crap is forgetting just how bad manning was. Maybe the rest of the staff as well but after everything we saw manning do and not do I'm will to go out on a limb and say danny was in complete control... uncontroll?? of everyone of his teams.

Back