• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Basketball Transfers (In & Out): Jalen Johnson (UT) IN !!!!!!!!!

I am still very bullish on Massoud. He was misused last year as a sort of weird swing 4. He was in the corner on offense and played the 4 on defense (or one of the baseline spots in a 3-2 defense).

I still think Massoud will be a 2 or 3 year double-digit scorer. He's a very very good passer - he just barely got the chance to show that last year. A few times games going against a 3-2 defense, he replaced Mucius and flashed to the free throw line and he was a better passer down to Sarr than Mucius was. He just didn't get to show that very often. Massoud also looked like a young college player to me. A lot of "kids" come in as grown men, Massoud was not one of those kids. I expect him to fill out and get a bit stronger.

The offense, if I understand it correctly per a Forbes interview in which he explained it as sort of a college version of what Nick Nurse runs in Toronto, would benefit guys who are good at moving the ball and seeing the floor, like Massoud. The fact that he also excelled in the classroom while coming from the Bronx (culture change) while playing basketball - he is the type of kid you hope you don't lose because his best basketball is well ahead of him (IMO).

It's looking increasingly less likely that the one-time free transfer rule will go into effect for the next academic year after the NCAA Board recommended against it: https://watchstadium.com/despite-ncaa-board-not-recommending-one-time-transfer-waiver-optimism-remains-04-30-2020/.

I don't believe that any of the seven WF players in the transfer portal are expected to graduate; so, if accurate, none of the seven will be eligible for the grad transfer rule.

Assuming this is correct, to be immediately eligible, a transfer needs to fall into one of these exceptions:

- Family Hardship: it appears that Sharone Wright Jr., may be the only one that can use that exception.
- Discontinued Academic Program: don't think it applies, but I guess possible if WF limits its curriculum due the COVID 19, which apparently many schools are considering to address financial concerns
- Discontinued Sport Exemption: does not apply
- Non-recruited Student Exemption: does not apply to any of the WF 7
- There are a few other exceptions (e.g., military service, having withdrawn from school for two academic years) which do not apply to the WF 7.

Have not found an NCAA rule allowing immediate eligibility in the wake of a coaching change (here is link to the current list of NCAA Transfer Exception and Waivers: https://www.athleticscholarships.net/ncaa-transfer-exceptions.htm ).

So, if on May 20, the NCAA decides to table the one-time free transfer rule (which sounds like that is where the NCAA members are leaning) and none of the seven in the portal graduate, Sharone Wright looks to be the only one with a chance to play right away next year at another school.

For the other 6, it's either sit out a year, or stay at WF (or go pro in Europe). I guess Chaundee is willing to sit out a year, and wait to play until 2021-2, but Chaundee turns 22 in December, and he does have a chance to make money playing internationally at least; not sure why he would want to wait two more years before graduating and getting paid to play.

Sarr always has the option to play pro in Europe , but it sounds like he wants his degree. So, unless he can graduate over the Summer, not sure how a transfer to KY or any other school is likely, unless Sarr is also willing to wait until 2022-23 to get paid to play. Seems like that is unlikely.

While not in the same spot as Sarr and Chaundee, doubt that Neath, Massound or Ody would want to sit out a year and wait another 18 months to play a meaningful basketball game (maybe they could justify the wait because next season may not happen or may be truncated), but I would think that all of them have visions of getting paid to play basketball at some point and sitting out for a season just does not help that notion.

Perhaps, the same logic applies to Wynn, but not even sure if Forbes would be interested in MW's return.

So, unless the one-time transfer rule applies, I would think that WF would have a decent chance to retain Sarr, Neath, Massoud and Ody. I guess Brown has decided against returning, but hard to see how that's in his best interest (unless his graduating).

Last edited:
Sitting out a year to play your senior season elsewhere without even seriously considering playing for the new head coach just seems like a ridiculous decision.

It's looking increasingly less likely that the one-time free transfer rule will go into effect for the next academic year after the NCAA Board recommended against it: https://watchstadium.com/despite-ncaa-board-not-recommending-one-time-transfer-waiver-optimism-remains-04-30-2020/.

I don't believe that any of the seven WF players in the transfer portal are expected to graduate; so, if accurate, none of the seven will be eligible for the grad transfer rule.

Assuming this is correct, to be immediately eligible, a transfer needs to fall into one of these exceptions:

- Family Hardship: it appears that Sharone Wright Jr., may be the only one that can use that exception.
- Discontinued Academic Program: don't think it applies, but I guess possible if WF limits its curriculum due the COVID 19, which apparently many schools are considering to address financial concerns
- There are a few other exceptions (e.g., military service, having withdrawn from school for two academic years) which do not apply to the WF 7.

Have not found an NCAA rule allowing immediate eligibility in the wake of a coaching change (here is link to the current list of NCAA Transfer Exception and Waivers: https://www.athleticscholarships.net/ncaa-transfer-exceptions.htm ).

So, if on May 20, the NCAA decides to table the one-time free transfer rule (which sounds like that is where the NCAA members are leaning) and none of the seven in the portal graduate, Sharone Wright looks to be the only one with a chance to play right away next year at another school.

For the other 6, it's either sit out a year, or stay at WF (or go pro in Europe). I guess Chaundee is willing to sit out a year, and wait to play until 2021-2, but Chaundee turns 22 in December, and he does have a chance to make money playing internationally at least; not sure why he would want to wait two more years before graduating and getting paid to play.

Sarr always has the option to play pro in Europe , but it sounds like he wants his degree. So, unless he can graduate over the Summer, not sure how a transfer to KY or any other school is likely, unless Sarr is also willing to wait until 2022-23 to get paid to play. Seems like that is unlikely.

While not in the same spot as Sarr and Chaundee, doubt that Neath, Massound or Ody would want to sit out a year and wait another 18 months to play a meaningful basketball game (maybe they could justify the wait because next season may not happen or may be truncated), but I would think that all of them have visions of getting paid to play basketball at some point and sitting out for a season just does not help that notion.

Perhaps, the same logic applies to Wynn, but not even sure if Forbes would be interested in MW's return.

So, unless the one-time transfer rule applies, I would think that WF would have a decent chance to retain Sarr, Neath, Massoud and Ody. I guess Brown has decided against returning, but hard to see how that's in his best interest (unless his graduating).

Good info. Thanks!

With that said, guys that are in the portal now, IF Forbes was able to get grad transfers to fill some roster spots, are the players in the portal SOL?

Sitting out a year to play your senior season elsewhere without even seriously considering playing for the new head coach just seems like a ridiculous decision.

Remember but how dumb we all were in our early 20's? But we THOUGHT we were smart...

Anyone notice that Rick Pitino is now recruiting Djimon Bailey? Discuss.

I understand that Brown wants to play in the NCAA tournament, but he should realize that even if the team he transfers to happens to make the tournament, he's monumentally more likely to be bent over holding the cuffs of his shorts watching the last few seconds of his college career tick away in some midwestern civic center than he is to cut down the nets in the Mercedez-Benz Superdome.

Good info. Thanks!

With that said, guys that are in the portal now, IF Forbes was able to get grad transfers to fill some roster spots, are the players in the portal SOL?

Counting Isiah Wilkins, if all 7 in the transfer portal returned, WF would have 13 on scholarship, which is the limit. Sounds like Wynn and Wright are gone for certain. So, Forbes could bring in two grad transfers, before he would no longer have room for at least one of Sarr, Brown, Massoud, Ody or Neath. The thing is that almost all of the best grad transfers have already chosen their destinations; so, there aren't many attractive grad transfers left. That said, if Forbes brings in transfers that sit out a year (not grad transfers), they also would count toward the scholarship limit; so, there is a chance that WF could run out of open spots depending on how things break.

I understand that Brown wants to play in the NCAA tournament, but he should realize that even if the team he transfers to happens to make the tournament, he's monumentally more likely to be bent over holding the cuffs of his shorts watching the last few seconds of his college career tick away in some midwestern civic center than he is to cut down the nets in the Mercedez-Benz Superdome.
You gotta be in it to win it.

Would somebody please be Biff's friend? Or give him a ride to rehab? Or a mental facility?

Man, I'm not nearly as high on Massoud as others here but his freshman version was almost the same as Arians as a senior. Half the 3's in half the minutes, within 2 made shots of a higher percentage than Arians. Still managed to match him in total rebounds despite 50% of his floor time. Taller, more athletic (not that it was a high bar), 4 times more blocks (ie. he actually defended someone occasionally unlike Arians).

There's no contest for ceiling, what a joke.

Massaud was a turnover machine and major bricks with no D. Hopefully he can be coached up.

Massaud was a turnover machine and major bricks with no D. Hopefully he can be coached up.

39.8% on threes is HARDLY major bricks.

We showed your TO line is total BS several times.

When are you going to stopping posting shit that has no basis in reality?

39.8% on threes is HARDLY major bricks.

We showed your TO line is total BS several times.

When are you going to stopping posting shit that has no basis in reality?

#RJKomedian?

It's looking increasingly less likely that the one-time free transfer rule will go into effect for the next academic year after the NCAA Board recommended against it: https://watchstadium.com/despite-nc...-transfer-waiver-optimism-remains-04-30-2020/.

I was reading John Feinstein's article in the Washington Post about this. Feinstein Column

One compromise proposal would be to let student athletes transfer one time without a redshirt year their first two years of eligibility. Once you use your third eligibility year at a school, then the redshirt year rule kicks in until you graduate. If you graduate and have eligibility remaining, then you can do the current grad transfer.

Doing this would tend to enhance the likelihood the student athlete would graduate and not get caught without enough upper level credits at a school to graduate. Seventeen/eighteen year old kids can make choices for college that don't work well for them. The early years one time transfer would allow student athletes to correct youthful mistakes without a great penalty in academics. Most colleges accept up to 60 credit hours of transfer credit. A freshman or sophomore would lose little or no academic credit. A student-athlete transferring after his junior academic year could easily lose a year of academic credit and find himself starting his senior year needing two years worth of academic credit and only have one year of scholarship funding.

Once he or she completes degree requirements at a school, again the student-athlete should be free to take his talents to whatever graduate degree program suits him. One goal needs to be working toward making sure student-athletes leave undergraduate school with degree in hand. Presumably that makes them more employable than they would be without the degree.

I would also be in favor of adding the coaching change as one of the criteria in the waiver process. If the coach who recruited you leaves, you should be able to look around and change schools without penalty. Part of the reason a student-athlete goes to a school is the school. But another big part of the decision is the coach. So if the coach leaves, the student-athlete should be able to leave without penalty as well.

He averaged less than 1 turnover a game, and had one of the highest Defensive Efficiency ratings on the whole team. What the fuck are you talking about?

I’m not your bitch girlfriend, or ugly wife. Watch how you talk to people. When he was in the game he hardly touched the ball and frequently through bad passes, tipped balls, out of bounds when he did touch it. Have a nice day loser.

Back