• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF MBB Game 2: UGA - Friday 8:30 pm - ACCN

Pilchard

Reaction score
This Friday, the Deacs host Georgia in an SEC/ACC tilt. UGA is the first SEC team to play at WF since Tennessee led by Grant Williams crushed (83-64) a poorly prepared WF team on December 22, 2018. Here is a report on the Dawgs.

The coach: Mike White leads UGA after coaching the previous 7 seasons at Florida (where he coached current WF PG Tyree Appleby). On the surface, White did well at UF with four (4) NCAA bids in seven years, but the scuttlebutt is that White left the UF job for UGA because a pink slip was imminent (fwiw, Todd Golden succeeded White at Florida, and he will be a star). After his Louisiana Tech teams pushed the pace, White's Gator teams played at a crawl (344, 326, 167 and 267 in pace over his last 4 years in Gainesville).

Fun fact about White, college athletics is a family business as Mike's dad was the AD at Tulane, Arizona State, Notre Dame and Duke (Kevin White retired in 2021), Mike's brother, Danny, is the AD at Tennessee, brother Brian is the AD at FAU and sister Mariah is the assistant AD at SMU. As an even more irrelevant aside, Kevin White was responsible for the following football hires while the AD at ND:
  • Charlie Weis (not only did White hire Weis, he gave him a 10 year extension after year 2)
  • George O'Leary (lasted a week)
  • Ty Willingham
So, perhaps no one has done more to damage to ND football than Kevin White.

The 22-23 Dawgs: To build this year's roster, White hit the transfer portal bringing in 6 transfers; he also convinced the two leading scorers from last year's team G Kario Oquendo and C Braelen Bridges to stay. White's focus has been to improve the worst defensive team in a power conference as last year's UGA team finished 318 in KP's defensive efficiency ratings and an embarrassing 355th (out of 358) in 2 point defense. In UGA's first contest, the Dawgs did hold WCU to 55 points .77 points per possession and 36% from 2. We shall see if the improved defense was attributable to White's coaching acumen or WCU's own offensive struggles - guessing the later. Against WCU, UGA's offense shot only 10 threes (made 3) and they destroyed the Catamounts on the glass (+16 rebounding), but the red flag was a 29.7% UGA TO rate (21 turnovers in 71 possessions).

Here was the UGA starting lineup on Monday:

• G 6-4 Kario Oquendo: led UGA with 18 points, leading scorer last year (15 ppg; 27% from 3); super athlete; attacks the rim
  • G 6-3 Terry Robers: scored 8 against WCU; Bradley transfer; averaged 14 ppg and 5 rpg
  • G 6-2 Mardez McBride: didn't score in 9 minutes on Monday; North Texas transfer 3 ppg
  • F 6-8 Matt Alexander-Moncrieffe: 6 points against WCU: OK State transfer; 4 ppg; never made a 3 in 59 career college basketball games
  • C Frank Anselm: 11 points, 4 boards, 5 TOs in the opener; Cuse transfer; 2 ppg 3 rpg at Cuse; never attempted a 3 in 37 college games
Off the bench:
  • G 6-0 Justin Hill: 8 points in 22 minutes in opener; Longwood transfer; known for defense
  • F 6-8 Jabri Abdur-Rahim: 8 points and 5 boards on Saturday; UVA transfer after 2021 season; 33% from 3 in 2022 for UGA
  • C 6-11 Braelen Bridges: 4 points, 6 boards, 4 assists, 5 TOs against WCU; was UGA's 2nd leading scorer last season (13 ppg last year; never attempted a 3) ; transferred from Illinois-Chicago in 2021
  • F 6-7 KyeRon Lindsay: scoreless with 6 boards on Monday: freshman; lefthanded
One other player of note:
  • F 6-7 Jailyn Ingram: is a 7th year senior (not kidding); started 9 games for UGA last year and is returning from a torn ACL.
Score projection: KP projects a 75-70 WF win in 71 possessions; Bart Torvik projects a 78-72 WF victory. Similar to Fairfield, expect UGA to slow the tempo and force WF into half-court slog as UGA lacks much offensive talent outside of Oquendo and possibly Roberts. The key on defense will keeping Oquendo out of the lane and to defend the paint as UGA lacks 3 point threats. This is a matchup which could lead to minutes for Bradford and Marsh. Would expect better scoring games from Appleby and Davien, and a better overall offensive performance. With UGA's TO issues, expect an aggressive WF defense to use TOs to force tempo. Agree with ATS, think WF rolls on Friday, will be on WF as long as the line is under 8 (it should be, but suggest those playing the Deacs jump early, this line is only going one way).

Last edited:
Thanks for the shoutout.

Yeah, give me the Deacs by double-digits.

Appleby staying on the court (and out of foul trouble) will help the offense look better. Also think we'll be able to force some turnovers to score some transition buckets. And we can't possibly shoot as poorly from 3.

As an aside, feels like we would have destroyed UGA last year given we were #4 in 2pt% offense and they were #355 at 2pt% defense. We may have shot 100% from the floor in that hypothetical matchup.

Same conflict for fb means I have 2 lower bowl bench corner seats available with pkg pass for $40

Tye-dye Nation making a return for this game. So I'm expecting a halfway decent crowd.

I fully expect Alexander-Moncrieffe, Anselm, and Bridges to combine for at least 10 made 3s

So many questions for Biff...

When will you decide which team you'd like to win this matchup? Sometime in the last 5 minutes or so? Or is the schtick that you don't care about basketball at all?

Also, to the extent that you even like Georgia Basketball, does it bother you that former (failed) Gator Mike White is now running the program?

Thank you for your questions. Georgia sucks at basketball. Wake is marginally better. On the whole, I don't care too much about college basketball. Definitely and always rooting for the Deacs. Stegeman should be imploded and rebuilt with something worthwhile, but at least it's an ON CAMPUS ARENA. My kids were blown away by that concept that it was right next to classrooms and dorms. I won't watch any Georgia basketball, or SEC basketball, before March. I'll watch the Deacs if I remember they're on TV after watching Jeopardy.

Thank you for your questions. Georgia sucks at basketball. Wake is marginally better. On the whole, I don't care too much about college basketball. Definitely and always rooting for the Deacs. Stegeman should be imploded and rebuilt with something worthwhile, but at least it's an ON CAMPUS ARENA. My kids were blown away by that concept that it was right next to classrooms and dorms. I won't watch any Georgia basketball, or SEC basketball, before March. I'll watch the Deacs if I remember they're on TV after watching Jeopardy.
Wait, biff has kids!? Dear god.

Would much prefer that Forbes and his staff put their own spin on how we market the program.

The tie-dye stuff was fun when Skip's regime initially came up with it. Fine to bring it back for a game once a year (or less, imo), but better to move on to something new.

Tie dyes made the Joel lively, real lively. Good job, Skip, we miss you a lot.

Copied Marquette University's marketing.

Back