• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF MBB Game 33 - Pitt ACC Quarters - Thursday 2:30 - ESPN2

Ask Forbes.

Someone did and he basically said the bench is not his focus at all.

Like free throws.
If you think a team that just finished 5th of 362 teams in the country doesn’t practice free throws, I don’t know what to tell you.

A lot of it was bad luck. But quality depth has to be a focal point this recruiting season.
Yep. And not to be harsh, but we have too many people on scholarship who add very, very little to the team. It’s not just 1-2 guys…we legitimately have 4-5 that could likely be replaced with better options in the portal.

I don't think we purposely set out to have little to no bench talent.

today, any combination of making a few of the FTs we missed that we normally make, Parker making 1 or 2 of the 3 or 4 open 3s he had and usually makes, and Sallis playing more than like 8 minutes at the level we know he can - and we likely win the game.....

Wake teams do the weirdest things. I mean Sallis was terrible most of the game - committing turnovers, missing shots, passing up shots he should take. Then he puts the team on his shoulders for like 5-8 minutes and leads us from down 17 to down 3. I mean, what? Where was that the rest of the game?
And most of the year Parker was absolutely automatic from the 3 pt line when he was open and had time to get set - tonight he had at least 3 of those and missed them all.
Boopie was dominant yesterday and didn't do much today.

If you think a team that just finished 5th of 362 teams in the country doesn’t practice free throws, I don’t know what to tell you.
Forbes literally said that he has never had a team practice free throws and he was dead serious.

We don't. He tells them to shoot on their own.

Or am I misunderstanding/sarcasm? It's common knowledge we spend 0 minutes per week shooting FT individually or as a team in practice.

So shooting on your own, assuming each player does that casually in a quiet gym, led to some anti-clutch FT shooting today and yesterday. Anti-clutch meaning choke.

I don't know what else to tell you.

Forbes literally said that he has never had a team practice free throws and he was dead serious.
Lack of FT practice is the last thing we should worry about. We were the best FT shooting team I have ever seen at Wake.
The fact that we seemed unclutch at FTs has nothing to do with the lack of practice and everything to do with our mental weakness - we are pretty unclutch at everything...

My wife and I will drive 2 hours each way to attend every home NIT game.
Hey I’m a New Yorker, grew up watching the NIT. Went often; in fact took WF04 to his first college BBall game when he was young at the NIT and saw Wake play. He was so enamored with the Deacs mascot he swore he was going to Wake to college and the rest is history. So enjoy the games, I’m meant no disrespect. I’m just not interested in seeing anymore Deac basketball games this year with a Team who should have been playing in the Big Dance.

Last edited:
Lack of FT practice is the last thing we should worry about. We were the best FT shooting team I have ever seen at Wake.
The fact that we seemed unclutch at FTs has nothing to do with the lack of practice and everything to do with our mental weakness - we are pretty unclutch at everything...
Can't argue with that. Unclutch sums it up.

That said, in the ACCT, we shot 69.7% which would basically be last in the ACC, ahead of only putrid UVA, and our opponents shot 84.9% from the line. Weird that Sallis was missing FT, especially.

What was our FT% after timeouts. I would be stunned if it's much better than 50%. As good as we were from the line, and we were great, we seemed awful getting fouled right before media TOs.

Can't argue with that. Unclutch sums it up.

That said, in the ACCT, we shot 69.7% which would basically be last in the ACC, ahead of only putrid UVA, and our opponents shot 84.9% from the line. Weird that Sallis was missing FT, especially.
I was curious about this for the season actually. Outside the @UVa game, what was the opponent FT% against Wake vs team FT% season average?

Hypothesis is that teams shot much better from the line vs Wake than they typically did elsewhere. 1H vs 2H would also be interesting.

I was curious about this for the season actually. Outside the @UVa game, what was the opponent FT% against Wake vs team FT% season average?

Hypothesis is that teams shot much better from the line vs Wake than they typically did elsewhere. 1H vs 2H would also be interesting.
Not sure about versus what they do otherwise, but our opponents shot 74.8% from the line, which is the 33rd highest percentage against in the country. National average was 71.9%.

Not sure about versus what they do otherwise, but our opponents shot 74.8% from the line, which is the 33rd highest percentage against in the country. National average was 71.9%.
The only way the opponent can affect that number is by being more selective in "must foul" situations.

Back