• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF MBB Game 6: South Carolina State Bulldogs - Wednesday - 8:30 pm - ACCN

Pilchard

Reaction score
Tomorrow's Thanksgiving Eve SC State v. WF matchup would likely break ACCN viewing records, if they kept such things. To prepare for this epic matchup here is the rundown on the Bulldogs:

Coach Eric Martin: SC State is on its third coach in three seasons. In 2021, SC State fired Murray Garvin after a 1-17 Covid truncated season. Last season Tony Madlock led the Bulldogs to a surprising 15-16 season, and then, Madlock took the first job offered as he moved on to Alabama State (the Coach took his son/leading scorer with him). Not counting Manhattan who fired Steve Masiello after practice started, SC State was the last D-1 team to hire a HC for this season. On July 11, 2022, SC State named Eric Martin the next HC. Martin played and coached under Huggy Bear. As a player, Martin played for Bob Huggins on Cincinnati's 1992 Final 4 team. For the last 16 years, Martin assisted Huggins at K State and West Virginia.

2022-23 Bulldogs: # 348 SC State brings 0-5 record to the Joel. After a shockingly close opening loss to S. Carolina (80-77), the Bulldogs were worked in their next 3:

• 80-61 L to #268 TN State
  • 96-71 L to #115 Duquesne
  • 100-63 L to #4 KY
Last time out, the Bulldogs hung with #221 N. Florida as they led 62-57 with less than 5 minutes left before collapsing (72-66 loss). SC State struggles on offense (#341) and defense (#337). They are terrible shooting team: 57% from the line (#348), 41% from 2 (#335), 30% from 3 (#255). Defensively, the Bulldogs suck in every metric. Most interestingly is that they allow opposing team to push pace as their average possession length on D is 14.7 seconds (the fifth shortest among the 363 college teams). The Bulldogs don't force many TOs (#329 in defensive TO rate), can't keep teams off the glass (#305 in defensive rebound %) and they foul often (#314 in opponents FTA per FGA).

At #348, SC State is the lowest (worst) rated college basketball team to visit WF since #352 Delaware State visited the Joel for Forbes' first game as WF coach. WF won that game by 60. Tariq Ingram, now at Rider, had 19 points (did not miss a FGA or FTA) in that game.

Roster:

Last time out, SC State started:

G 5-10 Rakeim Gary: top scorer; 35% from 3; 15 points last time out; 13 against KY
G 6-4 Shaman Alston: JUCO transfer; 10 points and 2 boards against KY; 0 for 2 from 3; 35% from 2
G/F 6-5 Jordan Simpson: frosh; 8 point last game; 1 for 10 from 3; 79 "O" rating (Carter Whitt territory)
F 6-6 Davion Everett: WCU transfer (didn't play much for the Cats, including DNP against WF last year); 9 ppg; leading rebounder; 43% from 3; leads team in "O" rating (129)
C 7-0 Dallas James: starter, but doesn't play much; 12 total points on the season; 3rd year at SC State and has never attempted a 3

The bench:
G 5-11 Rashaan Edwards: despite not starting, led the team in minutes last game; 7 ppg; leads team in assists; 32% from 3 for his career
G 6-3 Raquan Brown: New Orleans and UNC-Ashville transfer: 11 points in last game; 3 for 5 from 3 on the season; one of only 2 Bulldogs with a O rating over 100 (122)
G 6-2 Lesown Hallums: started the first four games; scored 20 in the opener against S. Carolina; 2nd in team in scoring, but also leads in TOs; 2 for 6 from three
F/C 6-8 Justin Wilson: JUCO transfer; breakout game last time out: 9 points and 8 boards; has not attempted a 3

Injured player:

F 6-6 Cameron Jones: Jacksonville State transfer; started the first 3 games; 6 ppg;

Score Projection: KP projects a 84-62 WF win in 72 possessions; Torvik almost identically calls for a 84-64 WF win. Under Forbes, WF has excelled as a bully. WF has played three teams rated 300 or above:

2021: WF beat #352 Delaware State 111-51
2022: WF beat #338 William and Mary 77-59
2022: WF beat #347 Charleston Southern 95-59

Deacs covered all 3 games. FWIW, WF led W&M by 30 before the Tribe cut into the lead in garbage time, even so WF covered the 15. Given that history and SC State's tendency to allow opponents to play up tempo, would be all over WF favored by anything less than 24 tomorrow, but Davion and Tyree are nursing injuries and Ituka is still out. Guessing Lucas Taylor, who is 1 for 16 from the field in his college career will get extended minutes given the lack of current backcourt options. Expect Hildreth, Monsanto, Klintman and Keller to have big games, but not sure WF will push pace as much if Davion and Tyree are limited. Lean to WF to cover the number, but have some concerns about the cover; will have huge concerns if this game is competitive.

Last edited:
Looking forward to a game where we can get deeper into the rotation and hopefully win by 25+ points.

Looking forward to a game where we can get deeper into the rotation and hopefully win by 25+ points.
You'd be wise to avoid watching. Oh, and make sure to mention you're skipping the game.

You'd be wise to avoid watching. Oh, and make sure to mention you're skipping the game.

You're giving me marital advice here, correct?

With an 8:30pm start, I think I'll be fine watching. Will probably just start it about 30 minutes late and catch up. Better viewing experience anyway.

You're giving me marital advice here, correct?

With an 8:30pm start, I think I'll be fine watching. Will probably just start it about 30 minutes late and catch up. Better viewing experience anyway.
You can call it advice or message board banter.

SC State was one of the first games of the Prosser era when they had Moses Malone Jr. Moses Malone's presence was a fact which Skip personally alerted the Screamin' Demons to via e-mail.

The Dave Clawson Show will be broadcast from courtside starting at 7pm and will lead straight into the pregame for the basketball game at 8pm.

SC State was one of the first games of the Prosser era when they had Moses Malone Jr. Moses Malone's presence was a fact which Skip personally alerted the Screamin' Demons to via e-mail.
I just googled Moses Malone Jr and this gem came up:

Link

Houston Rockets star James Harden has reportedly been sued by Moses Malone Jr., who is the son of NBA legend Moses Malone.

On Monday, Isiah Carey of Fox 26 in Houston reported Malone Jr. filed a suit which "alleges Harden paid a group of people $20,000 in cash to attack and rob Malone at V-Live strip club last year."

The suit says Harden was upset Malone Jr. criticized the Rockets guard's decision to charge children for a basketball camp and responded by orchestrating the robbery.

I’d like to see a matchup between SC State and Louisville.

Pilchard I watched VMI play a couple games this weekend. They are one of the worst teams I’ve ever seen. And their coach Andrew Wilson appeared to care as much about them sucking as Bzdelick. I’d keep an eye on them. They literally can’t dribble.

VMI is awful, but the linemakers have caught up to how bad they are now. The value is close to gone, but if they play a team that pushes pace, they will get destroyed.

Tomorrow's Thanksgiving Eve SC State v. WF matchup would likely break ACCN viewing records, if they kept such things. To prepare for this epic matchup here is the rundown on the Bulldogs:

Coach Eric Martin: SC State is on its third coach in three seasons. In 2021, SC State fired Murray Garvin after a 1-17 Covid truncated season. Last season Tony Madlock led the Bulldogs to a surprising 15-16 season, and then, Madlock took the first job offered as he moved on to Alabama State (the Coach took his son/leading scorer with him). Not counting Manhattan who fired Steve Masiello after practice started, SC State was the last D-1 team to hire a HC for this season. On July 11, 2022, SC State named Eric Martin the next HC. Martin played and coached under Huggy Bear. As a player, Martin played for Bob Huggins on Cincinnati's 1992 Final 4 team. For the last 16 years, Martin assisted Huggins at K State and West Virginia.

2022-23 Bulldogs: # 348 SC State brings 0-5 record to the Joel. After a shockingly close opening loss to S. Carolina (80-77), the Bulldogs were worked in their next 3:

• 80-61 L to #268 TN State
  • 96-71 L to #115 Duquesne
  • 100-63 L to #4 KY
Last time out, the Bulldogs hung with #221 N. Florida as they led 62-57 with less than 5 minutes left before collapsing (72-66 loss). SC State struggles on offense (#341) and defense (#337). They are terrible shooting team: 57% from the line (#348), 41% from 2 (#335), 30% from 3 (#255). Defensively, the Bulldogs suck in every metric. Most interestingly is that they allow opposing team to push pace as their average possession length on D is 14.7 seconds (the fifth shortest among the 363 college teams). The Bulldogs don't force many TOs (#329 in defensive TO rate), can't keep teams off the glass (#305 in defensive rebound %) and they foul often (#314 in opponents FTA per FGA).

At #348, SC State is the lowest (worst) rated college basketball team to visit WF since #352 Delaware State visited the Joel for Forbes' first game as WF coach. WF won that game by 60. Tariq Ingram, now at Rider, had 19 points (did not miss a FGA or FTA) in that game.

Roster:

Last time out, SC State started:

G 5-10 Rakeim Gary: top scorer; 35% from 3; 15 points last time out; 13 against KY
G 6-4 Shaman Alston: JUCO transfer; 10 points and 2 boards against KY; 0 for 2 from 3; 35% from 2
G/F 6-5 Jordan Simpson: frosh; 8 point last game; 1 for 10 from 3; 79 "O" rating (Carter Whitt territory)
F 6-6 Davion Everett: WCU transfer (didn't play much for the Cats, including DNP against WF last year); 9 ppg; leading rebounder; 43% from 3; leads team in "O" rating (129)
C 7-0 Dallas James: starter, but doesn't play much; 12 total points on the season; 3rd year at SC State and has never attempted a 3

The bench:
G 5-11 Rashaan Edwards: despite not starting, led the team in minutes last game; 7 ppg; leads team in assists; 32% from 3 for his career
G 6-3 Raquan Brown: New Orleans and UNC-Ashville transfer: 11 points in last game; 3 for 5 from 3 on the season; one of only 2 Bulldogs with a O rating over 100 (122)
G 6-2 Lesown Hallums: started the first four games; scored 20 in the opener against S. Carolina; 2nd in team in scoring, but also leads in TOs; 2 for 6 from three
F/C 6-8 Justin Wilson: JUCO transfer; breakout game last time out: 9 points and 8 boards; has not attempted a 3

Injured player:

F 6-6 Cameron Jones: Jacksonville State transfer; started the first 3 games; 6 ppg;

Score Projection: KP projects a 84-62 WF win in 72 possessions; Torvik almost identically calls for a 84-64 WF win. Under Forbes, WF has excelled as a bully. WF has played three teams rated 300 or above:

2021: WF beat #352 Delaware State 111-51
2022: WF beat #338 William and Mary 77-59
2022: WF beat #347 Charleston Southern 95-59

Deacs covered all 3 games. FWIW, WF led W&M by 30 before the Tribe cut into the lead in garbage time, even so WF covered the 15. Given that history and SC State's tendency to allow opponents to play up tempo, would be all over WF favored by anything less than 24 tomorrow, but Davion and Tyree are nursing injuries and Ituka is still out. Guessing Lucas Taylor, who is 1 for 16 from the field in his college career will get extended minutes given the lack of current backcourt options. Expect Hildreth, Monsanto, Klintman and Keller to have big games, but not sure WF will push pace as much if Davion and Tyree are limited. Lean to WF to cover the number, but have some concerns about the cover; will have huge concerns if this game is competitive.

Appreciate the time that you take to roll out these previews. You should be writing for the Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook.

I learn more from Pilch's write-up than from the game itself unless it's my man Stan Lewter on the call. Otherwise they just repeat the same one or two talking points about each player.

Demon Deacon basketball and I are on a break. May try counseling

I have tickets to give away if anyone can use them. I just need an email to send them to someone.

I have one seat available 4 rows from the floor in section 120 if anyone is interested. I can xfer electronically. These eight and nine o'clock games are brutal with my work schedule.

Back