• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF starting 5 for $15

devi8

Reaction score
The guys @ BSD had an interesting article where they assigned $ amounts to former WF players & a $15 budget to get a starting 5.
http://www.bloggersodear.com/2014/6/3/5777810/pick-your-wake-forest-basketball-demon-deacons-starting-5-with-15

I liked the concept but didn't really like several $ ratings/position assignments or the format which required 1 choice from each position. Plus the past greats don't really compare easily w/ recent players. So for my twist, I'm only using Odom's recruits through Dino's recruits, using accolades for a more objective $ ranking & taking out the position restriction. The categories fit nicely into groups of 5 players with a few exceptions in ()

$5 - Retired Jerseys
Rogers
Childress
Duncan
Howard
Paul

$4 - Multiple All-ACC (not including HM)
Gray
Johnson
Songaila
EWilliams
Teague (only 1 All-ACC)

$3 - All-ACC 2nd team
RoK
Vytas
AFA
Ish
CJ (3rd + HM)

$2 All-ACC 3rd team
Trelonnie
Rutland
Visser
McKie (2 HM)
LD (2 All-ACC Defense)

$1
Any player during that era not listed above. This should make it more interesting. WF has had some great role players.

Also going with best season instead of career production

So with that as the criteria the initial decision is what format is better and then the player combos.

I like $5-$5-$3-$1-$1 & here's my choice:

Duncan
Howard
Ish
Peral
Dawson

Duncan
AFA
Strickland
Childress
Downey

Duncan
AFA
Strickland
Dawson
Paul

Duncan
Paul
Anthony Tucker
Craig Dawson
LD Williams

1995 $14
1996 $10
2003 $18 (Gray as 6th man)
2005 $17
2009 $17 (Ish as 6th man)

Duncan
AFA
Strickland
Childress
Downey

I spent a few minutes putting together my lineup to find out you already did it.

Strickland is the perfect 3 in there. Downey compliments Childress well. Duncan and Aminu would own the boards. Sub Paul for Childress and it's still an excellent lineup.

I'll throw this lineup out there:

Downey
Teague
Strickland
Songaila
Duncan

Last edited:
Paul
Duncan
AFA
Scott (purely to catch lobs from chris)
Dawson

That's an elite defensive team (with Duncan, AFA and Chris) as well as an offensive juggernaut.

Duncan -$5
Ish -$3
CJ- $3
AFA-$3
Levy -$1

I also like

Duncan -$5
JHo -$5
Ish -$3
Levy -$1
Downey- $1

Both teams coached by Skip.

Last edited:
Is Chris King a $1 player? King must have recommitted (and would then technically be a Dave Odom recruit) as he played at Wake Forest in Odom's first year.

A lot of these teams need CD to stretch the defense. I like RC107's team.

We haven't had very many elite shooters through the years it seems.

Any combination of Downey, Childress, Teague, Gray stretch the defense plenty.

RC107's team only has one player who can effectively get to the rim. And he has 3 players who operate around the basket.

Last edited:
People forget Taron had two seasons of 40% on threes.

He shot 38.4% for his career on threes vs. JJ Douchebag shooting 40.6%. This shows that if JJ and Taron each took 50 threes, JJ numbers show he'd exactly one more.

Hmmmmm

Hmm, I like the notion of 3 $5 players and fill in any 2 freebies, if that were an option. However that's not the rule, so I'll go with

Duncan 5
Paul 5
AFA 3
Dawson 1
Strickland 1

It pains me to leave off either of Rogers or Childress and I'm sure I'm biased by Duncan/Paul's more recent NBA success, but there it is.

What are the years we're talking about? No Sam Ivy, no Rod Griffin?

Back