• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Tennis (WS Open Starts Saturday)

The Wake men have been absolutely dominating for the past 3 weeks.
I would expect our ranking to be top 10 by now.

You're right. The men have played like a top 5 team over the past few weeks.

We may move up a spot or two in the new rankings on Tuesday, but with matches at UVA and UNC in the next few weeks we'll have a chance to move up a lot.

The Deacs only play one more regular season home match this year - April 9th against Duke. I highly recommend going to watch this team play.

The men have been dominant of late - crushed Florida State, who beat UNC earlier in the season

The men have been dominant of late - crushed Florida State, who beat UNC earlier in the season

They should be a top 5. The only match they have lost is to NC STATE and Wake's top two players did not play.

They should be a top 5. The only match they have lost is to NC STATE and Wake's top two players did not play.

Don't worry, the boards experts have assured us that the NC State loss doesn't hurt us in the rankings :confused:

When the new rankings come out tomorrow it looks like the men will jump all the way up to #6.

New rankings came out today. The men move up to #6 and the women drop to #19. Also, Skander Mansouri was named ACC Player of the Week for the 3rd time this year. No other ACC player has received the recognition more than once this year.

Do the Deacs have a shot at a Natty?

Yes.

In the next two weeks we'll play #1 UNC and #3 UVA, both away (and will see one or both again in the ACC tourney). Those matches will obviously tell a lot about how we stack up against the very best teams. I think UVA is actually the better of those two teams. If I was ranking teams right now, I would go 1) UVA, 2) TCU, 3) Wake.

Before those matches though, Wake plays at #45 Virginia Tech on Friday, a team that is a lot better than their current ranking, and probably a top 25 team.

Do the Deacs have a shot at a Natty?

Yes. Tennis is pretty chalky, not a ton of upsets so you're probably not going to win a natty unless you really are the best team. But our matches against UNC and UVA will give us a good idea if we might be.

I would encourage all that are relatively local and able to make it to Chapel Hill on Sunday for the match against UNC. They actually play UVA on Friday which will be another great match. I think UVA takes it. We are at a very underrated VTech team. Sunday will be a great test for whether this team is a top 8 seed expected to make the quarters, or a true national title contender.

Sucks the spring game is the same time as the Duke match. May try to make it over to catch the end.

Don't worry, the boards experts have assured us that the NC State loss doesn't hurt us in the rankings :confused:

When the new rankings come out tomorrow it looks like the men will jump all the way up to #6.

New rankings came out today. The men move up to #6 and the women drop to #19. Also, Skander Mansouri was named ACC Player of the Week for the 3rd time this year. No other ACC player has received the recognition more than once this year.

Doubters proved wrong again...

Doubters proved wrong again...

I mean that doesn't prove anything. There is zero question that we were lower last week than we would have been had we not lost.

This week the loss didn't matter because there was a huge gap between #5 and #6 that we wouldn't have bridged regardless. But last week the gap between #13 and #12 was tiny, we definitely would have been #12 had we beaten NC State, and possibly would have been #11.

And it matters where you are from week-to-week because it has cascading effects on how the teams who beat you/lost to you move every week, which affects your ranking for the next week.

We can argue about how much it matters where you are ranked, but there is no question that the NC State loss has the possibility of affecting our position in the rankings and has in fact affected it already this season

Last edited:
Up 3-1. 2 in 3rd set. One we are down a set on serve.

Back