• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Tennis (WS Open Starts Saturday)

Glad to win. Not exactly the type of performance that screams NC contender.

BTW, WTF happened with Romain Bogearts? When he was a frosh he was ranked #5 in the nation, and was the national frosh of the year at Mississippi State; as a sophomore, he played #1 at WF, and went 16-9 in the #1 spot; he was ranked as high as #6 in the nation; last year, he beat NCAA champ Ryan Shane of UVA, and went 17-4 in the #2 spot behind Rubin. This year, he is struggling at the #4 spot, including a loss today at VT. Really an huge drop-off in level of play. Is he injured?

its the wake forest wake, getting worse as your college career goes on

BTW, WTF happened with Romain Bogearts? When he was a frosh he was ranked #5 in the nation, and was the national frosh of the year at Mississippi State; as a sophomore, he played #1 at WF, and went 16-9 in the #1 spot; he was ranked as high as #6 in the nation; last year, he beat NCAA champ Ryan Shane of UVA, and went 17-4 in the #2 spot behind Rubin. This year, he is struggling at the #4 spot, including a loss today at VT. Really an huge drop-off in level of play. Is he injured?

I mean we beat a top 50 team on the road, I'll take it. Sunday is a big day.

Bogo is also 17-4 on the year, and this is his first loss in 6 matches. He's settled in at the 4, and as a result doesn't play that many ranked opponents, so he doesn't have as good of a chance to move up.

Rafi or MysteryMen can probably shed more light on this.

Last edited:

Looking at the VT lineup, I have no idea how they are only #45 in the country. It's really solid. Their #3 guy, Contini, was like top 10 in the country a few years ago. A win on the road against them is pretty good, no matter the score margin

As far as Romo, I don't know what the deal is. But no way he should ever be losing to that dude.

Here are the singles records on the year (didn't include unfinished matches):

Mansouri 15-2
Chrysochos 16-2
Ho 14-8
Bogo 17-4
Uspensky 19-5
Seraphim 18-2

99-23 is really solid.

Looked like the guy bogo lost to at 4 was ranked. How are they #45?

Looked like the guy bogo lost to at 4 was ranked. How are they #45?

BIGOTED LOST?!?!??!

They played the following:

3. NR
5. NR
6. NR

I wondered originally if they put #72 to counter Bogo at 4 to try to steal one there, thinking #1 & #2 would be losses. They were probably thinking they could win doubles, 3, 4, and 5 to win the match. Beating our 1, 2, and 6 right now would be an extremely tall task.

BIGOTED LOST?!?!??!

They played the following:

3. NR
5. NR
6. NR

I wondered originally if they put #72 to counter Bogo at 4 to try to steal one there, thinking #1 & #2 would be losses. They were probably thinking they could win doubles, 3, 4, and 5 to win the match. Beating our 1, 2, and 6 right now would be an extremely tall task.

Yeah I mean I know the rankings, but nobody is trying to steal a point from Romo at 4. That's one of the strongest spots of our lineup. And regardless of the rankings, Romo is a much better player than Tessoro. He should beat him.

Contini, who is the unranked dude at #3 is arguably their best player unless he has gotten dramatically worse over the past year. He was one of the top players in the country

Close match for the men today, but they were able to pull out the win 4-2 (ended 4-3). VT is better than their ranking and they were desperate to get a win over a highly ranked team, as only the top 41-42 teams typically gets into the NCAA tourney (and they are currently #45). So to pull out that win, on the road, was big for the Deacs.

Skander has been great at 1 this year and had another big win today. The VT #1 made the semifinals of the ITA Fall Singles Championships, so he's a good player and having a great year. Petros continued his solid play at 2 - he's really good. Ho was disappointing at 3. As others have noted, Amerigo Contini, who played 3 for VT, is really good and is their previous #1 player (and former top 20 player). He's in a situation similar to Bogaerts for the Deacs. Despite that, Ho should have given him a better match.

Some on here were wondering about Bogaerts. He hurt his back at the very end of the season last year (he could barely move in NCAAs last year). It prevented him from playing all summer and he looked rough in the fall. He's played a lot better this spring, but he should have been able to win today.

Seraphim continued his great play today, with a big comeback after losing the first set 6-1. The Deacs had to win two 3 set matches on the road to pull out this victory, both after losing the first set.

The women had a close one at #40 Syracuse today, but lost 4-2 (it ended 4-3). Lots of 3 set matches, but the Deacs couldn't find a 3rd singles win.

The #6 men play #1 UNC Sunday in Chapel Hill at 1 PM. It should be a great match.

The #19 women play at #55 BC Sunday at 5:30.

Certainly closer than we would have liked but VT is much better than their ranking. They've had some injuries this year. Their top 3 is super strong. Not at all surprised at those score lines frankly. I am, however, surprised we lost at 4 and 5. I would switch our 5 and 6 against UNC.

UNC is playing very well right now but I think we have a shot. Dubs point will be very key. Court 3 will be tough for us, and court 1 will be tough. I like our chances on the others but they'll be tight as well I am sure. It looked like UNC had a raucous crowd yesterday. I hope some Wake fans can make it to CH tomorrow.

Back