• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Tennis (WS Open Starts Saturday)

Cheers. And, oops, that's what I meant. I hope to make the drive and check out the match versus (I assume) TCU.

That will be a great match. TCU is playing really well and will also have the hometown crowd. Hopefully Ho and Bogaerts heal up and the Deacs can pull it off.

Great win for the Deacs today, even though they weren't at full strength. Bloom really stepped up and played well. He and Delcore seem like great teammates.

Do the Deacs have any chance at the national title?

In a word, no. Getting to the quarterfinals would be awesome (we have never been before). A semi is not out of the realm of possibility, but that's probably the best case scenario.

We really did get about an amazing of a bracket as we could have gotten. We have already beaten TCU (our Sweet 16 opponent) and Illinois, our potential QF opponent, is the only top 4 team we have a chance against IMO. They are much weaker than Oklahoma, Baylor and Virginia.

The chances are very slim, but we have such a good duo at the top (Rubin and Bogaerts), that we can hang in there with any team.

Not to get too carried away with the extrapolation, but Illinois plays UNC in the Sweet 16 and UNC came very close to beating them early in the year in Champaign. The winner of that match plays the winner of the Wake-TCU match - so a Wake vs. UNC quarterfinal is a possibility

Ho has been healthy enough to win his doubles matches, I would guess he is good to go for the R16

Reminder to everyone that we beat TCU without Rubin earlier in the year

I didn't know it was possible for a tennis player to have swag but Rubin defs has it. Dude knows he's the shit.

I didn't know it was possible for a tennis player to have swag but Rubin defs has it. Dude knows he's the shit.

Yeah, he's got it in spades. Somewhat related - Coach Clawson was at the match and I heard him tell someone he would sign sign Rubin up as a defensive back.

It's funny, when you watch him warm up he's 90% dicking around and 10% doing something spectacular.

Any chance he sticks around for year 2?

Can we get a thread title update? I imagine a lot of folks don't open this thread and don't realize we made the sweet 16.

Can we get a thread title update? I imagine a lot of folks don't open this thread and don't realize we made the sweet 16.

Will do when I get to a computer. I haven't figured out how to on tapatalk. Thanks for the reminder.

I have heard from multiple people that at least for now Rubin plans on staying for one more year.

I have heard from multiple people that at least for now Rubin plans on staying for one more year.

Hope so. It would be fun to watch him again next year.

The ITA Carolina Region awards were announced and Wake did really well, with Bresky winning coach of the year, Feldman winning assistant coach of the year, Rubin winning rookie of the year, and Bogaerts winning the sportsmanship and leadership award. http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-tennis/spec-rel/051215aac.html

Think that Rubin's decision to stay or go largely depends on whether he could declare and be a top 150 (or even top 100) player almost immediately. If not, being a pro tennis player is awful. Those below the top 150 (and sometime even below the top 100) are forced to play a bunch of satellite tournaments for money that often does not even cover expenses against Eastern European, South American and Asian grinders that no one has heard of. If that is the alternative to WF, staying in college is the obvious option. Not only does the money suck for those outside the top 100, but literally no one goes to those satellite events -- friends and family -- if that. College tennis matches look like Wimbledon by comparison. Also, the life sucks as those events are always in remote locations, and unlike team sports the players often travel alone, stay in modest accommodations (or with host families).

I'm sure that given Rubin's growing reputation he would get some wild card entries into ATP events, but Rubin only gets to stay at the level and get paid if beats some really talented men. He is not playing the #1 player at Elon in pro tournaments. So, even if he decides to make the jump because he has invites lined up, there is no guaranteed payment. To get paid, Rubin has to beat the best... If he is not ready to do that, another year of college makes a lot of sense.

I see that Bogaerts and Ho are listed as Juniors. Are they likely to stay for their senior year? If so, and if Rubin stays then we could have the whole team returning? Do we have any super recruits lined up for next year? Inquiring minds want to know...

I don't think it's realistic for pretty much anyone in college tennis to turn pro and quickly move into the top 150. Whether he turns pro now or later, he's still going to have to play his way up through the Futures, etc. As good as he is, I'm not sure anybody thinks he's going to win many (or any) ATP main draw matches right now, even if he get wild cards. Based on his results in the limited pro tournaments he has played, I'm not sure he is going to be regularly competitive in Challengers right now.

The real question is if he's going to be able to get better by staying another year in college or if he needs to start competing on the circuit to get more competitive matches against other pros.

Back