• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Tennis (WS Open Starts Saturday)

I see that Bogaerts and Ho are listed as Juniors. Are they likely to stay for their senior year? If so, and if Rubin stays then we could have the whole team returning? Do we have any super recruits lined up for next year? Inquiring minds want to know...

No reason that either of them would leave early

I don't think it's realistic for pretty much anyone in college tennis to turn pro and quickly move into the top 150. Whether he turns pro now or later, he's still going to have to play his way up through the Futures, etc. As good as he is, I'm not sure anybody thinks he's going to win many (or any) ATP main draw matches right now, even if he get wild cards. Based on his results in the limited pro tournaments he has played, I'm not sure he is going to be regularly competitive in Challengers right now.

The real question is if he's going to be able to get better by staying another year in college or if he needs to start competing on the circuit to get more competitive matches against other pros.

All true. There are other considerations as well. College tennis can be a great option financially, especially for those with full rides. Things he or his family would be paying for if her were not in college, such as court time, coaching, travel, housing, meals, etc. are all covered by his scholarship. He also gets to play team tennis, which is a lot more fun than going at it solo in the future/challenger circuit.

I don't have any inside scoop, but I'd say it's 100% that Boegarts and Ho come back. Unfortunately, neither have a long future playing pro tennis. Romo would be able to hang out in the futures draws for a while, but his game just isn't big enough for the pros in my opinion. I'd say, short of Rubin winning the NCAA singles title, which is possible, the odds of him coming back are 75%. If he wins it all, I would lower those odds. Even if he comes back, he's still going to be able to play futures and challengers all summer and most of the fall, and at this point, he isn't playing for money - he's playing for points. He's a tremendous player, but it is tough to be top 100, which you have to be to make good money, and be under 5'11.

I see that Bogaerts and Ho are listed as Juniors. Are they likely to stay for their senior year? If so, and if Rubin stays then we could have the whole team returning? Do we have any super recruits lined up for next year? Inquiring minds want to know...

Wake currently has one blue chip recruit, Eric Rutledge from Texas, signed for next year. Of course at this time last year Wake didn't have Rubin, so things can change over the next few months.

Think that Rubin's decision to stay or go largely depends on whether he could declare and be a top 150 (or even top 100) player almost immediately. If not, being a pro tennis player is awful. Those below the top 150 (and sometime even below the top 100) are forced to play a bunch of satellite tournaments for money that often does not even cover expenses against Eastern European, South American and Asian grinders that no one has heard of. If that is the alternative to WF, staying in college is the obvious option. Not only does the money suck for those outside the top 100, but literally no one goes to those satellite events -- friends and family -- if that. College tennis matches look like Wimbledon by comparison. Also, the life sucks as those events are always in remote locations, and unlike team sports the players often travel alone, stay in modest accommodations (or with host families).

I'm sure that given Rubin's growing reputation he would get some wild card entries into ATP events, but Rubin only gets to stay at the level and get paid if beats some really talented men. He is not playing the #1 player at Elon in pro tournaments. So, even if he decides to make the jump because he has invites lined up, there is no guaranteed payment. To get paid, Rubin has to beat the best... If he is not ready to do that, another year of college makes a lot of sense.

Nobody is getting rich exclusively playing satellite events, but they're not necessarily that dire, either. There are a couple of Challengers in North Texas that pay out over $100,000 and draw respectable crowds. I usually go to the one at T Bar M, and it's packed for the semis and finals. I think the question will be whether Rubin feels he can continue to progress playing NCAA-level talent.

No reason that either of them would leave early

Boeg and Ho will be back for sure. Rubin has a good reason to leave, but also a lot of reasons to stay. I think how much he enjoys being at Wake will be the difference.

Rutledge could push to start next year --> http://www.tennisrecruiting.net/team.asp?id=4

If Rubin returns I think we will be a Top 4 seed with a legit title shot (I believe we have a chance this year as well to be honest)

Apparently my new tennis teacher used to train Rubin when he was young. Said he's always been just ridiculously talented.

Boeg and Ho will be back for sure. Rubin has a good reason to leave, but also a lot of reasons to stay. I think how much he enjoys being at Wake will be the difference.

Rutledge could push to start next year --> http://www.tennisrecruiting.net/team.asp?id=4

If Rubin returns I think we will be a Top 4 seed with a legit title shot (I believe we have a chance this year as well to be honest)

College tennis is just very unpredictable in terms of roster changes from year to year. I think this is because players can transfer without sitting out, most players are not on full scholarships and are looking for more coverage, there are a lot of international players, and there is some money to be made in pro tennis.

hopeless. back on track. beat the horned frogs then take out unc to reach the semis. go deacs.

Dude you'd love watching Rubin play. Swag for days.

I'm chickening out of the drive today -- can't justify a three hour round trip with a deadline looming. Will be watching online, if possible.

Back