• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Tennis (WS Open Starts Saturday)

They added one last weekend as well. If the opponent was good it would factor into the ranking, but weak opponents don't affect the ranking either way. What it does do is improve Wake's record. You have to be .500 or above to qualify for the NCAA tourney (even if your ranking is really good), so some schools will add matches to get above .500. This also isn't necessary for Wake this season. My best guess is they added it just to get some guys lower on the team some more match experience.

Yeah I don't think Pfeiffer would count towards the .500 thing either because they're not Division I. Agree it's probably just to get people some matches

Happens with baseball a lot due to rain outs. Coaches want to try and get as close to that 56-game limit as possible.

The crazy thing with the tennis system is that the limit isn't on matches, but on the number of days you can play matches on. You can play as many matches in a day as you want, and it still only counts as one day. That's why you see all these doubleheaders

The crazy thing with the tennis system is that the limit isn't on matches, but on the number of days you can play matches on. You can play as many matches in a day as you want, and it still only counts as one day. That's why you see all these doubleheaders

That is crazy. Can you explain the match limits? Bogaerts sat out the matches yesterday because of "dates" per the video after the match with Tony Bresky. What exactly does that mean?

Construction has begun on the seating over the 6 collegiate courts. I assume it will need to be completed by the start of the W-S Salem Open in August.

That is crazy. Can you explain the match limits? Bogaerts sat out the matches yesterday because of "dates" per the video after the match with Tony Bresky. What exactly does that mean?

I'm not sure what the number is, but "dates" is what I was talking about with the limits on the number of days you can play on. The limit is individual for each player I believe, not for the team.

Each fall tournament that a player plays in counts as one date too, and the date limit number is for the entire fall and spring seasons combined, so I'm guessing Bogaerts was ahead of the others because of playing an extra tournament in the fall (though he only played three which seems normal, so who knows).

The women take the doubles point on the road at Georgia Tech. This would be a big win

The women lost 5-2 to #34 GT.

The men dominated #38 Notre Dame 7-0, only dropping one set.

The men beat Morehead State 7-0 while resting 3 of their top players. They'll play Clemson and SC State at home next Sunday.

The scrub team matches are kind of ridiculous at this point. Bresky either wants to get some of the lower guys some playing time in case they have to step in with an injury or is trying to set the school wins record so he can sell it to recruits or something.

The scrub team matches are kind of ridiculous at this point. Bresky either wants to get some of the lower guys some playing time in case they have to step in with an injury or is trying to set the school wins record so he can sell it to recruits or something.

Kind of surprised by this sentiment. Far from a tennis expert, but given the size of the roster, doesn't it make sense to play these matches to keep everyone sharp? Given that the top 6 is not always available, would think it make sense to play matches against lower-tier programs so that the entire roster gets match experience; so that they are ready when/if needed?

Kind of surprised by this sentiment. Far from a tennis expert, but given the size of the roster, doesn't it make sense to play these matches to keep everyone sharp? Given that the top 6 is not always available, would think it make sense to play matches against lower-tier programs so that the entire roster gets match experience; so that they are ready when/if needed?

I think your assumptions are correct. One of the strengths of this team is its depth, which is in direct contrast to some other top teams, such as UNC. However, in order for our depth to be more effective they need true match experience, which they are getting against some of these teams. This includes both singles and doubles matches, with a variety of combinations in doubles.

I think your assumptions are correct. One of the strengths of this team is its depth, which is in direct contrast to some other top teams, such as UNC. However, in order for our depth to be more effective they need true match experience, which they are getting against some of these teams. This includes both singles and doubles matches, with a variety of combinations in doubles.

I get the sentiment, but I question whether anyone gets anything out of beating some dude who can barely hold a racket 6-0, 6-0.

I think we dropped to 10 in the polls despite 28-0 weekend, including win over #38 GT. Texas Tech is 9 and we beat them 4-0 earlier this year. The Big 12 has a number of teams in the top 10. But we won 4 matches, 28-0 and dropped one spot in the polls.

I think we dropped to 10 in the polls despite 28-0 weekend, including win over #38 GT. Texas Tech is 9 and we beat them 4-0 earlier this year. The Big 12 has a number of teams in the top 10. But we won 4 matches, 28-0 and dropped one spot in the polls.

Correction #38 ND.My wife and I were there.

The #10 WF men play at home Sunday at 1 PM vs Clemson and 5 PM vs SC State. After that the men will play 6 of their final 7 matches on the road, with a lot of tough ACC competition, including #1 UVA and #2 UNC.

The #29 WF women play today at #38 Notre Dame. They will then play at home Sunday against #10 UVA at 10 AM and ECU at 4:30 PM.

The women beat ND 4-1. That's an important win for Wake.

It's not polls, it's a computer ranking, and the calculus changes every week as more and more matches are counted and our previous opponents moved up or down in the previous week.

Back