• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Tennis (WS Open Starts Saturday)

BUT YOU GUYS ALL SAID THE NC STATE MATCH WOULDN'T MATTER!?!

If we would have beat the NC STATE, it would appear we would be at least an ACC CO-Champ this Year. Unfortunately Davis Cup took away our two top players for the NC State loss.

If we would have beat the NC STATE, it would appear we would be at least an ACC CO-Champ this Year. Unfortunately Davis Cup took away our two top players for the NC State loss.

Who ever wins UVA or Wake will be champs assuming neither loses the rest of the way.

Watching the losing player Murray's reaction equally enjoyable.

reading the past few pages of this thread was stressful, but I gave 110% and persevered

Can a tennis ratings person tell us where we will move up to now? Top 3 right? I tried reading the ratings stuff and gave up - it's so convoluted.

Damn, reading this thread had my heart rate up. Can't believe we pulled it out after all that. DEACS.

Can a tennis ratings person tell us where we will move up to now? Top 3 right? I tried reading the ratings stuff and gave up - it's so convoluted.

It's a pain in the ass to do the rankings out by hand so I don't do them any more but I'll give you my rough guess.

There was an 11-point gap between us and #5 last week, which is a pretty substantial gap (last week it was the same difference between being where we were at #6 and being #15). We get something like 116 points for this win, then subtract however many points the win it was replacing were / divided by roughly 9.5 I would guess by eyeballing (would have been ~8.7 had we not lost to NC State but IT DOESNT HURT US!!1!1!). Complicating this is that last week's matches counted your best 7 matches while this week's count your best 8, and obviously all the teams we've played have moved from last week so minor changes due to that too.

So I would say we will either make up the gap and probably be 4 or 5, or will stay at #6 but be right behind #5. There's a guy on these college tennis forums who usually does out the rankings by hand, so if he posts what they will be I'm sure someone will put them on here.

Last edited:
We could beat the cheaters in curling and I'd still be psyched

Well, that was awesome. Doubles went quickly. We won 3 easily, and then lost in decent matches on 1 and 2.

In singles, Uspensky won for Wake at 6 pretty easily, but we lost the first set on the other 5 courts. Mansouri/Schnur was a high quality match on 1, but UNC won. Schnur is highly unlikable. Ho lost in straights sets on 2, though he was up a break in the second. This is currently our weakest position. Ho is highly skilled, he just needs to put it together.

So we then needed to come back in 3 sets on the remaining courts. Petros and Schneider played a really high quality match on 2, with Petros holding on 6-4 in the third.

Seraphim was down 5-3 in the third and saved several match points. He reeled off 4 straight games to take third 7-5.

It was then up to Romo. As many saw, the third was back and fourth, though Romo held the advantage. Both players were really tired at the end.

Great Wake crowd today! Several LOUD Wake Forest chants. Just an awesome atmosphere - reminded me of when Skip used to say that a tough road venue is just a great place to win.

Extremely impressive win. First time ever over a #1 team. On the road, at UNC, and required a huge comeback.

I just did out the rankings......and we're not going to even come close to cracking the top 5 next week. Ohio State at #5 has a 65.41 average, ours is only 58.41. I haven't done out the teams below us, but we may even drop if someone passes us.

Our losses are way worse than any of the teams ahead of us (in particular NC State). Without the NC State loss we would be at 63.72, so still in sixth but at least within striking distance. Without both the NC State and the Texas losses (our "bad losses" for the year), we would be in 5th and fractions of a point behind 4th.

This is why losses to bad teams matter. Losing to UNC (or anyone in the top 5) 7 times would hurt us less than that 1 loss to NC State does.

Last edited:
That probably says more about the ranking system than anything.

Pleased with the win, and excited to take on Duke at home for senior day next weekend.

That probably says more about the ranking system than anything.

Pleased with the win, and excited to take on Duke at home for senior day next weekend.

Eh I don't think so. We've lost to two teams outside the top 20, and one outside the top 40. The other teams haven't. Seems reasonable that we're ranked below them

My biggest issue with the rankings is that they rely upon the schools entering the results accurately before the rankings deadline which doesn't end up happening way more often than you would expect, even with top schools. A lot of times those missing results (or sometimes duplicate results) end up making a difference. There should be someone at the ITA auditing the results in the database, at least for the top 25

Last edited:
Back