• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU’s Associate Chaplain for Muslim Life

So many thoughts -

1. Did WF really need to send this to all alumni. I hadn't heard anything about any of this. Way to give the guy a broader audience. Part of me wondered if someone in PR was like, Duke had their muslim crisis, we need to have ours. Get on this!

2. Iman Grigg's email was something. Does he feel that little support from the university that he needs to send an email like that to explain himself?

3. Administration Bloat. So now we have an Associate Chaplain for Muslim Students. What, for all ten of them?

He emailed the vast majority of alums.

How many should be there for the University to justify having an Associate Chaplain available to them?

This is the answer I most agree with.

However, the WFU fact book data from 2013 (the most recent available information) shows that 0.8% of students identified as Muslim. Given a Fall 2013 total undergraduate enrollment of 4823 that yields about 38 Muslim students.

Keep in mind that Imam Grigg's position could also serve faculty and staff. Faculty/Staff religious identification is not available.

This is the answer I most agree with.

However, the WFU fact book data from 2013 (the most recent available information) shows that 0.8% of students identified as Muslim. Given a Fall 2013 total undergraduate enrollment of 4823 that yields about 38 Muslim students.

Keep in mind that Imam Grigg's position could also serve faculty and staff. Faculty/Staff religious identification is not available.

Don't forget graduate students.

Wake wants to recruit the top students regardless of religion. Grigg probably helps with that.

My freshman year we definitely commented that they threw the Jew and Quaker together as roommates

wfu band = 72 virgins is a HOF tag. KUDOS.

"When I accepted the position of Associate Chaplain at Wake Forest in 2010, I could not have imagined that Islam, and the ethos of the overwhelming majority of the 1.6 billion Muslims worldwide, would be so maligned and attacked as it has been."

Really dude? Post 9/11 at a super expensive private school made up of 92% white apex douche predators? This never occurred to you?

Fucking moron.

You don't think that statement was incredibly naive? Pretty sure they get CNN, even in Winston-Harlem. That is some head in the sand stuff.

A measured take is that most WFU alums will be skeptical from the outset, and that anyone who got the email is not going to go on a YouTube deepdive to find out more.

Last edited:
Better than just calling him a "fucking moron."

Back