• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU and Economic Diversity

A few thousand more than UNC in-state tuition.

When Burr went to college in the late 70's it cost $3K to go there ($11,043 in today's money).
It was still less than $5k in the early '80s... I think tuition was like $3600 my freshman year - plus room and board.

Wasn't this the desired outcome when they dropped the SAT requirement?
It was the "stated" desired outcome, and it can certainly help with that. Many (correctly) assumed it had as much to do with removing a barrier for high income kids to get in despite less than stellar resumes academically.

From what I can gather, our shitty endowment (thanks a lot Krispy Kreme) makes it financially tough for us to invest to heavily in stuff like this, even though we want to.

For example, this initiative seems aimed solving this problem: https://news.wfu.edu/2023/08/03/wfu...neration-students-with-admissions-initiative/

However, what is actually being changed seems like it won't move the needle at all, which isn't surprising since they picked something that wouldn't cost the school anything.

Yeah. Seems like a minor tweak that may have a minor effect.

Back