• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU and Economic Diversity

Didn't Wake get rid of "need-blind" admissions years ago? So whether or not someone can pay factors into whether or not they get accepted.

Rafi, I think you're asking the wrong question. Athletic programs are trying to win championships. They're not trying to provide "socioeconomic diversity" for the entire university. That's patronizing as well.

The question is if schools like Wake and Duke are rejecting low-income applicants who would be accepted otherwise.

The question assumes kids on Pell Grants aren't "perfectly qualified."

(It also assumes there's such a thing as "perfectly qualified" as well.)
I am absolutely not defending Wake's place on this list. But I do want to note that there is some separation between students being admitted and students choosing to attend. While finances may be a huge reason for a kid who chooses not to attend, there may certainly be other reasons as well.

Didn’t Wake basically choose between admitting 50 Asian students a year at full tuition versus everybody else ?

I just wrote that Wake should go to need blind admissions.
1. you didn't really saying anything that forthright

2. you're acting like Wake is emphasizing its athletic recruiting for the sake of achieving its diversity and setting its athletic scholarships accordingly, which couldn't be further from reality

1. you didn't really saying anything that forthright

2. you're acting like Wake is emphasizing its athletic recruiting for the sake of achieving its diversity and setting its athletic scholarships accordingly, which couldn't be further from reality
I think Wake should change to need blind admissions.

I'm not trying to act like that. I do not at all think Wake is emphasizing recruiting for the sake of achieving diversity. Rather, I'm agreeing with the previous poster who pointed out, correctly in my opinion, that Pell Grants probably do not capture the diversity question well at Wake, which is the smallest power 5 school and gives a lot of athletic scholarships. For example, the NYT article discussed Wash U, who went from 6% to 16% of students on Pell Grants. Wash U does not give any athletic scholarships, whereas Wake probably gives 200, and Pell Grants max out at $7000 whereas a full ride at Wake is probably $90,000. Not capturing that aid, or the diversity of the students receiving that aid, seems like a major flaw.

So if a student can affor $25K a year, plus ,gets a $7K a year Pell grant, and Wake costs $90K, the article is suggesting that Wake’s endowment can afford to cover the annual $58K deficit for a few hundred students to bring Wake in line with some metric ?

Rafi, have you read the article? They're clearly not talking about student-athletes.

Rafi, have you read the article? They're clearly not talking about student-athletes.
The NYT article that focuses on Duke? Yes, I read it last week.

That's exactly the point. The percentage of students on Pell Grants doesn't count scholarship student athletes, which is another way low income students may receive financial aid (including extremely large aid packages) and is a higher proportion of students at Wake than 99% of schools (maybe all schools?).

Right, but the article is about challenges that student-athletes probably don't face, at least not to the extent of low-income students who don't play sports.

It's also disingenuous to categorize being a student-athlete and the responsibilities, prestige, and support that comes with it as "another way low income students may receive financial aid."

Right. It sends a message that it's not enough to be as good at academics as rich kids. You need to be good at sports to keep the rich kids entertained and make the rich university more money.

So if a student can affor $25K a year, plus ,gets a $7K a year Pell grant, and Wake costs $90K, the article is suggesting that Wake’s endowment can afford to cover the annual $58K deficit for a few hundred students to bring Wake in line with some metric ?

I guess it depends on how much Wake desires to facilitate non-athletic and other forms of elite scholarship economic diversity?

The athletics part of this discussion is a red herring.

Back