• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '21-'22 Roster Construction Thread: +LaRavia/Taylor/Walton/Monsanto/Williams/Sy/Marsh

Why would you sat that? People here remember a TO or missed shot by players they don't like, but Dubose shit the bed in four of our last five games as well as choking at the end of the F$U game are all forgotten. It would be OK to get him back, but, unless we can't find any decent players, he's not going to impact the outcome of next year's team.

We need to find at least one big (preferably two) and two shooters.
I’m gonna have to agree with RJ here, i’m more worried about finding a couple bigs and shooters in the portal then worrying if Dubose comes back.

If we want to win more games next year, then we want Dubose back.

TITCR

RJ, he would say that because Dubose is a talented player and Forbes isn't just dropping coach speak when he says he wants to win NOW, not down the road. Dubose is a nice piece to have if you want to win NOW. And he wouldn't alter anything regarding scholarships.

Its mind boggling that Anyone wouldn't want Dubose back this season. There's literally nothing it could hurt.

Why would you sat that? People here remember a TO or missed shot by players they don't like, but Dubose shit the bed in four of our last five games as well as choking at the end of the F$U game are all forgotten. It would be OK to get him back, but, unless we can't find any decent players, he's not going to impact the outcome of next year's team.

We need to find at least one big (preferably two) and two shooters.

Are you talking about the FSU game where DuBose had 18 points (6-9), 5 assists, 4 boards, and 3 steals?

The dude missed some very important free throws, but you are incredibly inconsistent in what you think is worthy of criticism.

DuBose is a good player and we'd be a better team with him on the roster (and on the court).

No one is saying we don't need to be focusing on getting bigs and shooters in the portal. The point is if Dubose wants to come back then there is zero negative aspect to that.

Two separate thoughts: If Dubose comes back he will help wake Forest in 2021-2022

Forbes really needs to bring in a couple more shooters and Bigs.

I’m gonna have to agree with RJ here, i’m more worried about finding a couple bigs and shooters in the portal then worrying if Dubose comes back.

Sure, but those things are not (necessarily) mutually exclusive.

No one is saying we don't need to be focusing on getting bigs and shooters in the portal. The point is if Dubose wants to come back then there is zero negative aspect to that.

Two separate thoughts: If Dubose comes back he will help wake Forest in 2021-2022

Forbes really needs to bring in a couple more shooters and Bigs.

Sure, but those things are not (necessarily) mutually exclusive.

Ding ding ding.

Current grad transfers aren't keeping scholarships from incoming transfers and recruits. We need the "why not both" gif for this thread.

Are you talking about the FSU game where DuBose had 18 points (6-9), 5 assists, 4 boards, and 3 steals?

The dude missed some very important free throws, but you are incredibly inconsistent in what you think is worthy of criticism.

DuBose is a good player and we'd be a better team with him on the roster (and on the court).

Thanks for proving my point. You brought up a good F$U game, until he choked, but you've completely neglected how piss poorly he played in four of our last five games.

Everything we hear is Ian is a great guy and a good teammate. I wish him all the best in everything.

Whether people like it or not we lost out best two three point shooters off a bad three point shooting team. That has to be replaced. Dubose is not a spot up shooter.

Yeah, nobody is saying bring Dubose back and call it a day. The way I see it: We KNOW Dubose can play at this level. We KNOW he has one more year at most. There is too much uncertainty both within the program and with college basketball rosters in general. It's just too hard to predict what the roster will look like in 3 or even 2 years. I believe Dubose will help us win games earlier because I can all but guarantee you he will be better than the guys we have coming in for at least the first few months of the season. If the young guys take hold and are better than Dubose come ACC play, then great! I'm sure Forbes won't hesitate to use them accordingly. If they need a little more time to get adjusted, then they can learn from Dubose. I just see 0 downside to bringing him back. If one of our recruits is going to transfer because they lost some PT their freshman year behind a 5 year player, then they weren't our guy to begin with.

Last edited:
I'll take guys who can create their own offense and play decent defense over spot up shooters that are road cones all day, every day.

Dubose was 10-16 from the field over the last 2 games of the season, against the ACC champions and ND.

The idea that Dubose coming back wouldn't be a great thing is laughable. He also shot the 3 ball at a higher clip than your boy Massoud

Dubose was 10-16 from the field over the last 2 games of the season, against the ACC champions and ND.

The idea that Dubose coming back wouldn't be a great thing is laughable. He also shot the 3 ball at a higher clip than your boy Massoud

Agreed. WF has 5 open spots on the roster, and if DuBose comes back he doesn't even take one of those. So, it can only be positive in the near and long term if DuBose comes back. Also, Forbes wants him back which means everything. That said, can understand if Ian decides that 4 years of college is enough.

Agreed. WF has 5 open spots on the roster, and if DuBose comes back he doesn't even take one of those. So, it can only be positive in the near and long term if DuBose comes back. Also, Forbes wants him back which means everything. That said, can understand if Ian decides that 4 years of college is enough.

Yep absolutely. If Dubose decides it's his time to move on, it's understandable and I'm appreciative of his time with the Deacs.

I appreciate anyone who wanted to participate in the dumpster fire that was last year. If he's happy not being a starter or not playing big minutes and he wants to return, fine. But he shouldn't take minutes from people who will lead us back to respectability.

Dubose had a better FG% from three and from the field than Massoud this year.

Antonio, Williamson, Dubose, and Mucius all shot better from the three point line than Massoud. And he only beat out Whitt and Johnson by 0.3%

Thanks for proving my point. You brought up a good F$U game, until he choked, but you've completely neglected how piss poorly he played in four of our last five games.

Everything we hear is Ian is a great guy and a good teammate. I wish him all the best in everything.

Whether people like it or not we lost out best two three point shooters off a bad three point shooting team. That has to be replaced. Dubose is not a spot up shooter.

I don't think he played poorly in 4 of the last 5. I'd say 2 good, 2 bad, and 1 ok. I'd also submit that the entire team played "piss poorly"... Not sure why you'd just focus on DuBose (though I think you also like to rip on Williamson and Whitt).

We do need shooting. We also had real issues with driving to the basket, which Ian helped with (when healthy). Frankly, we need a lot of things.

I'm not trying to tell Forbes how to allocate minutes... I just think we need all of the talent we can get, and DuBose won't take up a scholarship. I'd be shocked if the 5 new players we bring in are all better than he is.

I appreciate anyone who wanted to participate in the dumpster fire that was last year. If he's happy not being a starter or not playing big minutes and he wants to return, fine. But he shouldn't take minutes from people who will lead us back to respectability.

I don't think you have to worry about that. Whitt played a ton of minutes that he clearly wasn't ready for. Forbes is no idiot.

FWIW, pretty much everyone on the roster, and even our beloved coach, sucked after the FSU game, until the start of the ND game. Then, suckitude made a roaring return in the last 5 minutes of the finale.

Dubose is a proven ACC starter level player. The current Wake roster has few of those. Newcomers can come on and compete. "Better than Dubose" would be the standard for getting minutes if you're a 2 or 3.

Most players need some time to acclimate to ACC level competition. Dubose has already done that. Even CP3 was a backup for the first few games of his career. Let the newbies earn their minutes. Don't have to play them because no one else is there. Play and practice effort and success will sort out the minutes.

Back