• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '21-'22 Roster Construction Thread: +LaRavia/Taylor/Walton/Monsanto/Williams/Sy/Marsh

Too early for minutes for me, but I'll go starting lineup/rotation...

Starters:
Whitt
Williamson
Mucius
LaRavia
Walton

Rotation:
Sy (at the 4/5)
Monsanto (at the 2/3/4)
Williams (at the 2/3)
Ingraham (at the 5)

I'm most interested to see what happens when Whitt isn't on the floor at PG... I'd assume Williamson will slide over to PG every now and then, but there has to be another option for ball-handling. Hoping either McCray or Hildreth can step into that role.

For that reason, I think Whitt will get the most minutes this year... 30+mpg.

Wouldn't surprise me if Williamson, Mucius, LaRavia, Sy, Monsanto, and Williams all get 20+mpg.

Walton probably 15-20mpg... Ingraham has a wider variety of outcomes, call it 10-20mpg.

That leaves ~15-20mpg for Hildreth/McCray/Taylor... I am hoping one of them is a positive surprise (probably Hildreth or McCray).

Definitely excited for the team to start practicing and to hear how things are going in Forbes's open practices.

Too early for minutes for me, but I'll go starting lineup/rotation...

Starters:
Whitt
Williamson
Mucius
LaRavia
Walton

Rotation:
Sy (at the 4/5)
Monsanto (at the 2/3/4)
Williams (at the 2/3)
Ingraham (at the 5)

I'm most interested to see what happens when Whitt isn't on the floor at PG... I'd assume Williamson will slide over to PG every now and then, but there has to be another option for ball-handling. Hoping either McCray or Hildreth can step into that role.

For that reason, I think Whitt will get the most minutes this year... 30+mpg.

Wouldn't surprise me if Williamson, Mucius, LaRavia, Sy, Monsanto, and Williams all get 20+mpg.

Walton probably 15-20mpg... Ingraham has a wider variety of outcomes, call it 10-20mpg.

That leaves ~15-20mpg for Hildreth/McCray/Taylor... I am hoping one of them is a positive surprise (probably Hildreth or McCray).

Definitely excited for the team to start practicing and to hear how things are going in Forbes's open practices.

looks good.

Hard to believe we have the depth to bring guys like Sy, Williams and Monsanto off the bench.

Agreed the only possible question mark is that 3rd ball handler. I imagine Whitt will be excellent this year, much stronger, quicker and will make better decisions. He has no reason not to. Williamson can handle the ball. I think Williams and Monsanto can help get the ball up the court as well. Neither ace ball handlers, but good enough to help break the press.

looks good.

Hard to believe we have the depth to bring guys like Sy, Williams and Monsanto off the bench.

Agreed the only possible question mark is that 3rd ball handler. I imagine Whitt will be excellent this year, much stronger, quicker and will make better decisions. He has no reason not to. Williamson can handle the ball. I think Williams and Monsanto can help get the ball up the court as well. Neither ace ball handlers, but good enough to help break the press.

Honestly, I have a hard time deciding which of my rotation should be the starter and which should come off the bench. Whitt is a no brainer at PG, but after that you could make an argument for so many different lineups.

Whitt Williams Monsanto Sy Walton
Whitt Monsanto Mucius LaRavia Sy
Whitt...

You get the point. Battles in practice should be tough. Nothing guaranteed.

Have to appreciate what Forbes has done here. Definitely injected some juice into this program.

100% agree. This is where his previous JuCo coaching experience is a plus (in terms of having to cobble together a roster on the run). Will be interesting to see which kids get the nod re. starting assignments. I have a hard time NOT seeing Damari Monsanto as a starter. At the end of the day, though, it probably doesn't really matter as Forbes will be playing a lot of kids. Love the depth at 4/5.

Mucius is such a wildcard. I love when he plays scrappy and earns a lot of buckets inside and on the boards, making the occasional open three. I do NOT like when he tries to go iso and chucks up contested threes or turns it over. It seemed to me like he tried to emulate Massoud's chucker game at times on a poor team. Hopefully, he'll settle into a more established, consistent role on a better quality team with an additional year of quality coaching. Certainly takes time to un-Manning someone.

Love it. Forbes has completely transformed this roster in about 13 minutes. We have a mix of solid experienced players and promising young players. I’ll put up some minutes projections later. For now, I’ll say I feel pretty confident Forbes will start Whitt, Williams, Monsanto, LaRavia, and Walton.

Love it. Forbes has completely transformed this roster in about 13 minutes. We have a mix of solid experienced players and promising young players. I’ll put up some minutes projections later. For now, I’ll say I feel pretty confident Forbes will start Whitt, Williams, Monsanto, LaRavia, and Walton.

I am absolutely certain he will not.

Well, that's what I get for trying to make a dumb joke. I thought Ph meant "Williamson," since there is not a "Williams" on the team. But then I realized there is a "Williams" on the team - it's hard to keep track of all these new players!

WFU Hoops: Roster Construction - Added LaRavia/Taylor/Walton/Monsanto/Williams/Sy

giphy.gif

I’m pumped we just got a commit from Psy!

Assuming the returning players all improve at least a small amount, then we have improved/upgraded every roster spot. And I believe an upgrade on the bench, too! November can’t get here fast enough! I expect Whitt to be much better physically to play at this level. I’m hoping Williams can handle the ball so we can bring Williamson off the bench. He’d be huge to have running shit when Whitt is out, and he scores in bunches. I do believe Mucius will start. Then Laravia & Walton.

13 minutes or 13 months?
I know he’s good, but really?

Think we now have a balanced roster. Give our staff a full year to coach and we will be fun to watch. We also have some great experience and athleticism. We will be in the middle of the pack next year and move our way up to the top half in year three. Problem last year is we played alot better help defense but nobody in the middle to intimidate. We now have some decent size. Love our staff

I don’t know about lineups at this point, but I feel pretty confident about three things...

1) We will compete in most games next year and have a decent shot of being a bubble team. If we go on a run towards the end of the schedule and into the tournament, I could see us getting selected. We will be fun to watch when clicking.

2) Monsanto will be our leading scorer.

3) Forbes is going to bring in a stellar 2022 class and we are going to make a deep run in either the ACCT or NCAAT in 2023.

Frankly, it’s just nice to give a shit again. Go Deacs!

Williamson starts, at least at the beginning of the season

he was our best player last year and Forbes trusts him most

I'll jump in this. My way too early starters to open the season are:

Whitt
Williamson
Mucius
LaRavia
Walton

I could see younger guys earning starts later in the season.

Minute projections are especially difficult to predict this upcoming season with so many new pieces and a ton of competition. Forbes and his staff have absolutely killed it this offseason with infusing this team with the most talent and balance we have seen since 2016-17.

The true freshman are really going to have to surprise to be real contributors this year, this roster just has so much proven experience. I think it is more likely that one of them breaks out and becomes a contributor instead of all three getting spot minutes. I think one of the 5s will also likely fall out of the rotation as the season progresses, but it is good to have depth now in case of foul trouble and injury. The only 5 that I think has the tools to contribute some at the 4 is Khadim Sy, unless Forbes plans on playing with two 5s in some lineups. I think Whitt, Williamson, and LaRavia end up averaging close to 30 MPG and Ingraham might surprise and end up getting closer to 20 MPG.

As the season goes on, I think the rotation goes down to 9 or 10 but this is my best guess at the season's start.

PG: Whitt 26 Williamson 10 McCray 4
SG: Williamson 16 Williams 20 Hildreth 4
SF: Mucius 18 Monsanto 18 Hildreth 2 Taylor 2
PF: LaRavia 28 Mucius 6 Sy 6
C: Walton 18 Sy 12 Ingraham 10

Totals:
LaRavia 28, Williamson 26, Whitt 26, Mucius 24, Williams 20, Walton 18, Sy 18, Monsanto 18, Ingraham 10, Hildreth 6, McCray 4, Taylor 2

DNV and Creamy, in our up tempo offense, I hope we see a bigger spread of minutes because I do agree our quality and depth will give Coach Forbes lots of versatile options.

Back