• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '22-'23 Roster Construction Thread: +Ituka/Carr/Appleby/Bradford

While I agree somewhat with this, especially regarding Forbes, Wake led St Joe's by 1 at the half and lost by 4 in the 2004 Sweet Sixteen.

To a team with 3 NBA players.

I really don’t understand the reverence Wake alums have for Forbes and Prosser. Sure they were better than Manning and Buzz.

Forbes has 0 NCAA appearances
Prosser made the Sweet 16 a single time and was destroyed.

Both great guys. Shouldn’t our expectations be higher?

Forbes made the NCAA tournament twice with ETSU (2020 was cancelled). He wins wherever he has been. It may take a year or two, but he wins. Just like Clawson.

I really don’t understand the reverence Wake alums have for Forbes and Prosser. Sure they were better than Manning and Buzz.

Forbes has 0 NCAA appearances
Prosser made the Sweet 16 a single time and was destroyed.

Both great guys. Shouldn’t our expectations be higher?

Why aren't we counting Forbes' 2020 30-4 ETSU team that won the SoCon regular season and tournament? As a result, they earned an NCAAT bid. Are we blaming Forbes for the cancellation of the 2020 NCAAT?

Interesting gross generalization of the WF alums/fan base?

So you are suggesting that WF fans should disrespect Forbes and Skip?

Also do people have "reverence" for Forbes or are they just excited about him as a coach and program builder?

Also do people have "reverence" for Forbes or are they just excited about him as a coach and program builder?

I’m with you on that. Forbes has several indicators that he can succeed at Wake, at least for the next 4-6 years.

But through 2 years he has not.

We got in this same mindset with Skip. If you talk to most Wake alums, they somehow confused excitement with actual success. I hope we don’t head that way with Forbes.

We need to actually make the round of 64 in the next 2 years or he should be squarely on the hot seat.

Bryce Hopkins to Providence. Probably had no shot, but we were listed as having been in touch.

The previous two coaches flew the plane straight into the ground. Forbes arrives during a pandemic, after one of the worst ten-year stretches in ACC history, is allowed no contact with recruits, and in season two (effectively season one) destroys UNC, comes within a whisker of beating Duke in Cameron, and has the team on the cusp of the NCAAs. We're tossing around "hot seat" already? For real?

I wouldn't say Forbes should be on the hot seat by any means, but he has yet to show any real sustained success. Does Wake even have a roster for next year? Is Forbes recruiting high school talent or just juco's and transfers?

I think one of the reasons many of us loved Skip was because he would go toe to toe on the recruiting trail with other big schools, and Wake would be listed or favorites for a lot of top recruits. So far, we haven't seen anything like that with Forbes. I know Skip only made 1 sweet 16 during his time, but Wake was always in the top half of the ACC and made the NCAAs most years aside from the two post CP3 seasons. This season was a success in relation to the last decade, but next season Wake could easily be back at the bottom of the league.

Sounds like much of this fanbase needs a reality check.
DR et al - wtf is your “higher standard”? We are a little brother to those around us and always have been. All we can hope and pray for is to be in the mix and competitive and maybe get hot in March. Grew up obsessed with RR, Childress and Duncan teams. Prayed that Howard and CP teams would deliver. They didn’t. Prosser had two post-CP skipping town teams that struggled before he passed away. Those teams contended. Gaudio too. Unless my Wake history is WAY off - I’m not sure what higher standard we can reasonably expect.
We are probably going to suck again. But we have a good coach who fucking cares. That’s as much as we can rationally ask for. Anything else is just a fantasy.

The transfer portal and NIL are game changers since Skip's time.... and not for the benefit of LOWF. :(

Yea…Bones McKinney ain’t walkin through that door fellas…🙄

As fun as part of last year was, in ended with a thud (again). We have not gotten a single transfer, right? This could be a rough 22-23 season.

As fun as part of last year was, in ended with a thud (again). We have not gotten a single transfer, right? This could be a rough 22-23 season.

We also don't know that LaRavia, Mucius and Williamson aren't walking into Forbes office saying, "Coach, we're ready to go for another season."

So the sky isn't falling (yet).

It's okay with me if WF takes a big step back next year and I fully expect we will. Forbes has been a victim of his own success at Wake. This season plainly got many of you thinking this would be a quick rebuild. It will not be, even with the opportunities presented by the portal. Put the blame for this where it belongs--Wellman, Bz, and Manning, not Forbes. This was always going to be a multi-year restoration project. If things are still shaky a couple of seasons from now some concern will be warranted. But give the guy some time.

It's okay with me if WF takes a big step back next year and I fully expect we will. Forbes has been a victim of his own success at Wake. This season plainly got many of you thinking this would be a quick rebuild. It will not be, even with the opportunities presented by the portal. Put the blame for this where it belongs--Wellman, Bz, and Manning, not Forbes. This was always going to be a multi-year restoration project. If things are still shaky a couple of seasons from now some concern will be warranted. But give the guy some time.

Multi year rebuild is insane in today's world. Teams can (and Forbes did) remake an entire roster in one offseason. There is no excuse not to get players into the program and go win with them.

So that my post isn't misconstrued, per usual, I said he should be on the hot seat after year 4. Not now. It's a massive improvement he has made--and that's certainly earned him an additional year beyond the typical 3.

But he must at least make the tourney in the next 2 seasons. Currie, as he has proven, will be unafraid to make a move if he comes up empty after 2 more years.

Back