• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '22-'23 Roster Construction Thread: +Ituka/Carr/Appleby/Bradford

so when should we get nervous about next year's roster?

I haven't paid close enough attention, but have many other schools that didn't even make the tournament had 4 guys declare early? Is this this the new reality or are we just fucked?

I haven't paid close enough attention, but have many other schools that didn't even make the tournament had 4 guys declare early? Is this this the new reality or are we just fucked?

Only Jake is declaring "early." The other 3 are just likely not using their 5th year. It's still an issue though. Retention is as important as recruiting nowadays.

not a direct answer to your specific question, but consider Virginia Tech's 5 who each started all 36 games:

1. Keve Aluma entered NBA draft, maintained college eligibility (he graduated high school in 2017)
2. Justin Mutts entered NBA draft, maintained college eligibility (he graduated high school in 2017)
3. Storm Murphy is out of eligibility
4. Nahiem Alleyne is in the transfer portal
5. Hunter Catoor is (so far) staying put for his 4th season

backups Ojiako and Haynes (maybe 9th and 10th on the depth chart) are in the transfer portal.

VT does have 4 guys coming in, and the 6th man (Maddox) is coming back - he may have started next year without the attrition.

seems like the new normal is, if you are 22 you should at least consider your pro options, and if you didn't play 100 minutes for your current team, you are probably unhappy and looking to go elsewhere (that second part appears not to apply to WF this year)

so when should we get nervous about next year's roster?

I will start getting worried if Wake doesn't have at least one roster addition by the end of this month. Portal entry with being eligible to play next fall window closes May 1.

WFU Hoops: '22-'23 Roster Construction - Jake/Zay/Daivien???; -Whitt/Walton

I’ve chosen not to get nervous about next season bc I know we have a coaching staff that has the right mindset, the right chemistry, and they bust their asses. I’ve heard enough from Forbes to be fully in the “in Forbes I trust” camp.

I have way more anxiety about Wake as a whole, aka, if Forbes can’t do it, Im truly not sure who can.

playing with fire over here !!

I'm still not nervous, but I am curious why this cycle seems so different. I just have complete trust that Forbes knows exactly what he's doing, and he's going to execute his plan.

Now, if we fail to assemble a good roster, and have a shitty season, that's a different story. As of now, Forbes has earned my trust.

Forbes wants to be sure guys he brings to Wake are currently taking care of academic business at their current schools. Wake having four guys on the all-academic team wasn't a fluke.

I'm still not nervous, but I am curious why this cycle seems so different. I just have complete trust that Forbes knows exactly what he's doing, and he's going to execute his plan.

Now, if we fail to assemble a good roster, and have a shitty season, that's a different story. As of now, Forbes has earned my trust.

I mean, there is some element of luck involved here. We missed on McKoy, and ended up with ManMan. ManMan and Walton were better and in Walton's case, more durable than their history suggested they would be. Other than Monsanto, whose Achilles injury limited his production, we were very fortunate on all of our transfers. If we get some bad luck next year I still trust in Forbes.

I'd assume it all comes down to not knowing who is returning yet.

Assume everyone who can come back does at the moment. Our starting five would be Daivien, Monsanto, Mucius, Jake, and Marsh. Obviously Marsh is the biggest question mark there, but even still you'd have to chase the absolute cream of the crop in the portal to offer a starting position against that group.

The second any one of them drop out though, you can immediately offer a path to a starting role to an elite transfer. Hildreth and McCray, I think, are also arguably better than a whole lot of mid-tier portal options. It's just a completely different scenario than last year when we could basically tell any player with a pulse that starting minutes were on the table if they were good enough.

With Bacot's announcement today, hopefully our guys clear things up by the weekend and next week we pick up steam. But maybe there are NIL issues, who knows. Crazy times.

The folks who won't do any and everything for the men's basketball team to win are our alums.

I posted in response to this a while ago and I still don't understand what you expect here. As I stated, I give well into 5-figures a year to the athletic program. I'm fortunate, grateful and happy to do so. I'll gladly give more if I can see a plan.
I'm not sure how the alums are holding us back when no specific arena or other objective has been articulated. There has to be a clear, defined goal from the administration as to what they want the alums to help them achieve. For example, the Wake Will campaign was well-defined and highly successful. I'm about 100% sure any NIL or new arena campaign would be as well if the administration lays out precisely what it wishes to accomplish and how us alums and donors can assist.

Just randomly bitching that people aren't helping is not productive. Helping do WHAT precisely? Many people will gladly help but they're not just going to send in $100,000 checks and hope someone builds an arena for them.

A doctor can't cure the patient unless he/she tells them where it hurts.

You are the patient dude. The plan must come from us. Those on the payroll are just trying to protect their income. No call for massive stadium change makes you the at fault patient paying the bills for others.

Back