• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '23-'24 Roster Construction Thread: +Miller, Sallis, Reid, & Canka

The other way to look at it is that Forbes got Walton and Sy to play instead of freshman Marsh. He DID NOT get Walton 2.0 and Sy 2.0 to play instead of sophomore Marsh. What Wake does need is another quality big body to rotatate with Marsh. Marsh isn't playing 40 minutes. Basketball is still a game in which being tall is an advantage.
Forbes tried to add a Dallas 2.0 but couldn't. The best we could do was Bradford, who was only even a take becasue Forbes knew he couldn't just go into next year with Marsh, he had to at least take a shot on a guy like Bradford.

i like getting unopposed alley oops
Who doesn’t? But Ty created those opportunities and teams figured out how to limit them as the season went on. It’s not really representative of significant development from Marsh IMO.

The other way to look at it is that Forbes got Walton and Sy to play instead of freshman Marsh. He DID NOT get Walton 2.0 and Sy 2.0 to play instead of sophomore Marsh. What Wake does need is another quality big body to rotatate with Marsh. Marsh isn't playing 40 minutes. Basketball is still a game in which being tall is an advantage.
Couldn’t that be Keller?

I'm going to double down on my position on Matthew Marsh. I'm buying stock if folks are selling. Dude is going to surprise some people next year.
I’m 100% in this camp. Team Marsh.

Marsh has limitations but improved a ton from FR to So year.

• He was our best rebounder for the season (19.9% Drb and 13.5% of all misses rebounded while he was on the court)
  • paired with the nation’s leading offensive rating. Yes, low usage, but no one else was close to his 146 rating.

And most importantly, we were far better as a team with him on the court than off it. +44 in ACC play (-22 when he was off). That was third behind only Hildreth and Monsanto, each at +58.

Keller was the fourth worst rebounder on the team (ahead of only Abbleby, Williamson, and Taylor) and the second worst offensive rating (behind Bradford and only ahead of Taylor). I hope for large improvements, but I’d be shocked if he takes over for Marsh as the go to C next year.

I also don’t see it with Marsh unfortunately. Not yet at least. He’s a pretty weak rebounder for his size. Not a good post defender. Zero offense to speak of other than Ty throwing lobs which teams started to mitigate. I’m hopeful because he’s certainly got the size we need but there’s just no evidence at this point.
If Serge Zwikker could make himself into a double/double guy for UNC I have no doubt Marsh can do the same. Serge was one of the least mobile big men when he started but he learned how to use his body to get junk baskets and be a menace for the Heels. Think Marsh is actually slightly ahead at this time as he occasionally can take the ball on the dribble, but he should be able to do more than just the pick and roll and work more on getting position down low and learn to play with his back to the basket and when to crash boards for the easy rebounds.

I don’t think anyone is “hating on” Marsh but I’m trying to be realistic about where he is today. Using the FG% stat as proof of his development is wildly misleading. We all know those were largely unopposed alley oops and on the very rare occasions when he attempted to initiate scoring on his own he looked nowhere close to being effective.
Who cares if Marsh's points came off alley-oops and dunks?

Last I checked dunks and alley-oops still counted as two points. Not that easy to get into position to score down low. FWIW, only Appleby, Hildreth and Carr had more two point FGs than Marsh last year, and Marsh was 7th on the team in minutes. Crazy to hold it against Marsh that he was very good at finding ways to finish around the rim.

boom-goes-the-dynamite.jpg

I'm waiting for Forbes to tweet the Tony Starks bomb gif again.

Who doesn’t? But Ty created those opportunities and teams figured out how to limit them as the season went on. It’s not really representative of significant development from Marsh IMO.
Exactly. When BC beat us at home, they learned that if you don't guard Marsh at all, he can't beat you on the pick and roll. They never followed him to the top of the key, so he was never able to drag his man there and roll off of him. Was shocked that nobody else figured that trick out.

Sallis only had 3.3 FC/40 as a freshman, compared to 4.5/40 last year. He will be fine.

Back