• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '23-'24 Roster Construction Thread: +Miller, Sallis, Reid, & Canka

Just when we're excited about having a decent nucleus coming back, we're going to have at least 4 and maybe more transfers. Yay! Does like 3 players count as a nucleus?
Nobody who has left so far is part of the nucleus for us to be successful next year. It's 2 guys who barely played (or didn't play at all), and a backup center who checked out 75% of the way through the year and was not very effective when he played.

Now if Bobi leaves I will be concerned.

Just when we're excited about having a decent nucleus coming back, we're going to have at least 4 and maybe more transfers. Yay! Does like 3 players count as a nucleus?
If anybody else leaves, it will be a guy who is expected to get at least rotation (10 -15) minutes, and compete for starting and significant (25+) minutes next year.

Before the portal, 4 transfers would mean our coach sucked (DM). Now, it’s the way the game is played. And you gotta play the game.

Before the portal, 4 transfers would mean our coach sucked (DM). Now, it’s the way the game is played. And you gotta play the game.
The big change was the immediate eligibility of first time transfers. No more "what can he do for me next year" on the part of coaches.

giphy.gif

Forbes when the portal opens.

Slightly worried about Bobi and a big bag, but more because of wake “we can’t have nice things” pessimism. I would hope his retention is a high priority for RTQ.
Somebody posted this before but it looks like international players are prohibited from receiving NIL due to their visa status. Does anyone have more clarity on this?

Somebody posted this before but it looks like international players are prohibited from receiving NIL due to their visa status. Does anyone have more clarity on this?
Kentucky got around it for Oscar Tshiebwe, so someone has figured it out

I looked it up and one way to get around it is to do the NIL activities outside of the US.

Kentucky got around it for Oscar Tshiebwe, so someone has figured it out
I wonder if that’s a different scenario because he came to the US before his freshman year of high school.

Also, to clarify, if you are a business, you can request to work with a specific player and then the ask will be made to the stuent-athlete.

If you are an individual, your subscription will go into the "warchest." The board of RTQ then determines where and how funds are allocated.
Who’s on the board and what’s the threshold contribution to be added to the board?

Tshiebwe has become a leading figure in name, image, and likeness (NIL) deals, despite being unable to take full advantage of his celebrity due to holding a student visa. While he is allowed to sign sponsorship deals, he cannot make paid personal appearances (including autograph signings and commercial shoots) while in the U.S. with that visa status.[30] Tshiebwe's advisers are currently trying to change his visa status to "extraordinary ability", which would enable him to fully monetize his celebrity.[31] In August 2022, he was temporarily freed from the restrictions of his visa when the Wildcats went on a week-long preseason exhibition tour to The Bahamas.[32] When the team's plane landed in The Bahamas, Tshiebwe's first phone call was reportedly to his agent, asking "Where do you need me?",[31] and he did promotional work for four companies before fully settling into his hotel room.[32] During the Wildcats' down time on that tour, Tshiebwe made numerous photo shoots and advertising reads, and signed large quantities of memorabilia. UK head coach John Calipari was apparently unfazed by Tshiebwe's off-court work in The Bahamas, reportedly telling The Athletic, "He can’t do this stuff in the States. Oscar, you weren’t there today, but we all get why you’re doing what you’re doing."[31] By the end of the tour, he had reportedly made $500,000, bringing his total NIL money to $2.75 million in about 6 months. He used his first batch of NIL money to buy his mother a five-bedroom house, and has established a charitable foundation for the benefit of children in his homeland that is funded in large part by his NIL deals.[32]

Someone get HoopHead on the phone. He will have Cam selling luxury quintas in the Algarve in no time at all.

Nothing but love for Lucas Taylor, but I think his highlight package includes every basket he ever made for Wake Forest...

I still think Lucas Taylor is a huge reason App was here this year. He was a HUGE glue guy for the team and a big Wake recruiter during the offseason (at least the most vocal on social). Overall he seems like a great dude and I hope he finds big success at his next stop.

Back