• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '23-'24 Roster Construction Thread: +Miller, Sallis, Reid, & Canka

On short transfer portal timelines: With someone like Miller, how does the coaching staff prioritize whether he’s the top choice? I’m guessing they do their diligence and then offer anyone that makes the cut for skill set above a certain floor, rather than waiting for #1 and then going down the list?

But how often do they transfer up a level and then develop?
It's not always about level of play. Sometimes it is simply physical maturity. Enough muscle for the bone length. Sometimes it's learning what to do and when to do it. Repetitions of moves so they become ingrained can happen anywhere.

Pavrette was a lot better his last six games than his first six. So was Bobi Klintman. Not saying this guy is the answer. Just not going to dismiss a 6-11 guy without some due diligence.

Cam changed my mind about him 180 degrees in ACCT. His defense against Syracuse was amazing and he hit clutch shots in both games. Just needed a Monsanto type of shooter to pair with him until he improves his three point shooting. Hopefully that will be between now and October. Btw, he and some other Deacons sat in the row behind me during the 7pm game after the Syracuse win. Honestly, I was a bit anxious. Lol

That Bradford tweet was almost assuredly a scheduled one, and is not the official RTQ one. I wouldn't read too much into it.
I'm not sure I understand this. Bradford would have drafted and scheduled a tweet about the end of the season, even though he stopped playing several games before the season ended?

I'm not sure I understand this. Bradford would have drafted and scheduled a tweet about the end of the season, even though he stopped playing several games before the season ended?
It could've been scheduled months ago if he was working with that NIL, and then everybody just forgot about it.

Somebody else would have on his Twitter.

Cam changed my mind about him 180 degrees in ACCT. His defense against Syracuse was amazing and he hit clutch shots in both games. Just needed a Monsanto type of shooter to pair with him until he improves his three point shooting. Hopefully that will be between now and October. Btw, he and some other Deacons sat in the row behind me during the 7pm game after the Syracuse win. Honestly, I was a bit anxious. Lol

Cam seems to shoot threes best at the two ends of the time to release spectrum. That is, when he has no time to think about the shot and just lets it fly, he makes a decent amount.

At the other end, when he has plenty of time, it seems like he is solving a set of differential equations in his head, accounting for position on the floor, dustance to basket etc to calculate angle of release, height of release, force applied etc. and then optimizing all parameters before shooting.

When he has time to finish those calculations, it's a good shot. When he only gets partway through, it's a bad shot.

I've been looking for that Manning Dove tweet for 15 minutes now and I can't find it. Bummer.

I did, however, go down the rabbit hole of the recruiting thread from 2 years ago and holy shit did we offer some players that have absolutely sucked elsewhere.

5 star - #31 in class of '21 - Has sucked for Arizona State

Shooting a basketball is a lot like the golf swing. Once you get the fundamentals down, you execute at the best level when you focus on the target and play by instinct. I think that’s what happened when he hit the late shots in the two ACCT games. There was no thinking. He just let them fly.

I've been looking for that Manning Dove tweet for 15 minutes now and I can't find it. Bummer.

I did, however, go down the rabbit hole of the recruiting thread from 2 years ago and holy shit did we offer some players that have absolutely sucked elsewhere.

5 star - #31 in class of '21 - Has sucked for Arizona State

He looks like a he can play, but his numbers are frightening. 13 points and 12 fouls on this season. He would fit in well with our current 5s as his career FT% is 31% (10 for 32).

Remember when Coach Manning sent out a scheduled tweet regarding Dove Men's Care hours after we ended yet another season with a soul-crushing loss to a horrible team on Tuesday at the ACC Tournament? Good times!
Do you smell that? It's unwiped ass. Wash it away, kind of, with Dove Men's Care products!

Only problem may be that he doesn't fit Forbes stated criteria that he wants to get taller at the guard positions.

Sure but he’s not going to turn down another Tyree like player. I think he’s fine with one smaller guard. He just wants to avoid playing two smaller guys together. So he probably wouldn’t play Miller and Ituka together much.

Last edited:
Yeah, I have to imagine it goes like this:
1- Can he play? (Can this player compete in the ACC?)
2- Does he fit? (Would this player excel in our system? Does it make sense with our current roster?)
3- Measurables

Not great, but probably better than our side of the Jersey Mike's bracket from this year:

LaSalle - #223
LMU - #107
Georgetown - #243

And we'll have other games that will help the OOC - Rutgers, Xavier, Georgia.

We just need to win games... Convincingly.
Isn’t there an ACC/SEC challenge starting?

Wasn’t there a 6’8” or so stretch 4-ish type of player who graduated early from Dartmouth within the last two years, and who of course was contacted by Forbes? Briefly looked and could not find anyone fitting the bill. Maybe it was another Ivy.

I did find some Dartmouth players who transferred to Minnesota and Loyola who didn’t do much.
There is grad transfer Harvard who’s 18.8 and 5 a night but he is 6’6 SG

Back