• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '23-'24 Roster Construction Thread: +Miller, Sallis, Reid, & Canka

I mean the decision makes complete sense from Bobi’s perspective. He’s a fringe NBA draft pick based on potential. No reason he shouldn’t use all the tools available to learn where he stands in the eyes of NBA scouts.

That said, barring incredible performances and a meteoric rise in the pre-draft process, I’d expect it’s way more likely that he comes back than it is that he leaves.
where I am at.

This is beyond frustrating.

All the people here picking apart his game are just deluding themselves. Dude was always going to end up a 3/2. Not a 4. Those skills he was showing late season (from whatever "position" he was playing) are the same ones the NBA values. He was playing himself into an NBA shot before our eyes.

I hoped this would not happen. I was pretty confident in a normal situation it would not happen. No NIL for an international player is a big factor.

I'm going to believe he's gone. Just better for my sanity.

If there is one good thing to come out of this Forbes gets to say to top 50 prospects "we make NBA players. You commit to us and we'll teach you what you need for the next level. We keep getting talent like you and the March wins will come. you'll also have a shot at rooting for Wake while you're playing in the league.

Silver linings and all that...

my hope would be that Bobi stays because he could be a lottery pick next year... But it would not surprise me if the NBA teams view him higher than a late second round pick already. He's 6 10' with athleticism. And he can shoot a good 3 ball already. NBA scouts will eat that shit up all day.

I mean he's too timid to consistently make a layup against App State and Virginia Tech. He would be a deer in the headlights in the NBA
Both those games were in 2022. Nobody on our team made a bigger leap from January to march like Bobi did. If he keeps that up in a professional setting he could def get drafted

I totally see what deacon14 and ChrisL are saying but that’s assuming everyone involved is a rational actor. Kids leave early all the time and end up 2nd round picks.

I totally see what deacon14 and ChrisL are saying but that’s assuming everyone involved is a rational actor. Kids leave early all the time and end up 2nd round picks.

i would also debate the presumption that the fans are the rational actors and the players/families are the irrational ones.

there are some obvious advantages of being a college athlete, but if you don't enjoy the college experience and want to get paid quickly, getting drafted and spending time in the g-league is probably the best way to develop into a successful nba players. the facilities are really good these days and you get to spend 100% of your time working on your game, surrounded by other pro athletes. developmentally, you could argue the coaches aren't as good (e.g. jerry stackhouse went from big time g-league coach to vandy) but there is a lot of time you get with direct exposure to nba staffs as well. (i do think there is a big downside risk of not getting signed by any team at all)

re: klintman, if he's truly considered a top 10 pick in next year's draft based on what we know now (i've only seen that from one source, so not sure i totally buy it), then of course he's gonna be highly coveted this year as well -- since you'd basically be getting a lottery pick in next year's draft way later. (i.e. i think any team drafting in the 20s or later would theoretically trade their pick for a top 10 pick the following year).

Last edited:
i would also debate the presumption that the fans are the rational actors and the players/families are the irrational ones.
I agree we obviously have strong bias as well. But I do think in this particular case it’s likely a huge differential in long term earnings. Clearly a lot of unknowns, specifically his performance as a hypothetical sophomore. It’s not like you’re getting paid much as a G League player though. If he’s truly a potential lottery pick the ROI would be gigantic over 1 year in the G League.

Also Les said in their thread on the other board that he is getting NIL so that’s at least something.

Is Bobi giving the NIL money back if he goes into the draft?

re: klintman, if he's truly considered a top 10 pick in next year's draft based on what we know now (i've only seen that from one source, so not sure i totally buy it), then of course he's gonna be highly coveted this year as well -- since you'd basically be getting a lottery pick in next year's draft way later. (e.g. i think any team drafting in the 20s or later would theoretically trade their pick for a top 10 pick the following year).
Unfortunately, this is the correct take. If you are drafting late first round you can usually afford to have patience with those picks. Getting a lottery talent there? That would be well worth the risk.

the analogous case for me is peyton watson, not jake laravia fwiw

First huge test for RTQ in my opinion. One of the benefits of a collective should be keeping marginal NBA prospects. You can argue the heavy hitters weren’t organized to keep Jake. Can’t claim that this time.

I thought Jake was leaving for the NBA and the first round when he hit the game winner against Northwestern early in the season. I don’t think RTQ could have done much to stop him.

Back