• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '23-'24 Roster Construction Thread: +Miller, Sallis, Reid, & Canka

Echoing what BBD said yesterday, this just puts Forbes in such a tough spot. If he waits until the combine (May 16-18) to make a decision then leaves it’s going to be extremely difficult to find a high caliber replacement.
You find the replacement either way. What it really does is hamstring our ability to get better an another position.

Fun video series with Daivien and Tyree we're going to be rolling out... check out their recruiting pitch above.

As it relates to Bobi, yes, international student-athletes can still earn $ through NIL - they just can't be doing work on US soil.

I guess we always have the option of rolling out a Miller/Cam/Damari/Carr/transfer big starting lineup if we can get someone good. Problem is that team doesn’t figure to be any better than this year’s and we will need an awful lot out of Miller to get to that level.

You find the replacement either way. What it really does is hamstring our ability to get better an another position.
Just feels like it will be really difficult to sell a really good player on coming here with the possibility of a first round pick coming back at the same position 🤷‍♂️

This is a massive blow to the team, and makes us a non-NCAAT factor again next season.

Once the twitter scouts started blowing him up, thought there was a (small) chance he would get a bag from another school. I didn't expect NBA, and I don't see him being a top pick. But who knows.

We manage to lose all our marginal pro talent consistently. Who was the last guy to put in an extra year, Aminu?

This has to be such a gut punch for Forbes and the staff. Find Jake, lose him to the NBA. Find Bobi, (probably) lose him to the NBA. Rinse and repeat.

Forbes celebrates his guys in the league so I doubt he views it that way. He's been pretty consistent that he wants guys to make the best decision for them and he's going to be honest with each through the process

Forbes celebrates his guys in the league so I doubt he views it that way. He's been pretty consistent that he wants guys to make the best decision for them and he's going to be honest with each through the process

That’s what he says publicly and it’s a nice thing to tell recruits. But he was planning on a greatly improved Bobi next year.

Forbes might celebrate the guys in the league but his goal and job is to get us back to the NCAA tournament and those chances for next year juts potentially took a huge hit. I'm tired of bringing in guys who develop their game for a year and then leave with Wake having nothing to show for it.

That’s what he says publicly and it’s a nice thing to tell recruits. But he was planning on a greatly improved Bobi next year.
Exactly… of course he is disappointed behind the scenes. He has publicly stated numerous times about planning on having Jake this season and the obstacle it provided.
If he was recruiting one & done talent, it can be expected. Thus far he has not recruited that level of talent but getting the same results.

The guy gets paid millions of dollars a year to win basketball games. Of course he’s disappointed/frustrated when a guy leaves early that he was counting on to be a big piece of his team. He wouldn’t be human otherwise. Doesn’t mean he’s not also happy for his guys to realize their dreams and get paid.

No question Bobi's announcement is a nut punch for Forbes, but getting his players drafted early and well above where they were rated before WF, will be useful tool in recruiting. It sucks, but it may help in the future.

Maybe the best shooter in the portal, and he can play point:

So now Forbes is trying to build a roster for next year with:

2.5-3 expected significant players coming off surgery/injury since they last played (Monsanto, Boopie, Jao);
another significant rotation piece recovering from injury (Carr); and
possibly the most important player with a foot out the door

And Mucius was never considered a real NBA prospect anyway so pretty irrelevant to this conversation.

This is a massive blow to the team, and makes us a non-NCAAT factor again next season.

Once the twitter scouts started blowing him up, thought there was a (small) chance he would get a bag from another school. I didn't expect NBA, and I don't see him being a top pick. But who knows.

We manage to lose all our marginal pro talent consistently. Who was the last guy to put in an extra year, Aminu?

eh, he obviously has a ton of potential but he was a pretty minor factor on last year's team. it's not like when we lost john collins.

Back