• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '23-'24 Roster Construction Thread: +Miller, Sallis, Reid, & Canka

That's fine to disagree on and it doesn't mean either of us are wrong. I believe if anyone else is sent portaling, it's Jao. You can theorize differently. My guess would be if the staff could straight up trade Jao for a grad year big as an insurance policy for Reid, they'd do it right now.
“the staff would trade Jao for something that doesn’t exist that they’re already spending 4 scholarships on anyways”

That is the statement you’re making and it could not make any less sense. If you wanted a grad transfer but you would’ve just gone out and gotten one and not have “wasted” a scholarship. It’s like you’re trying to ignore logic

Last edited:
I haven’t said at all what I’ve heard about Jao because that’s not relevant to the point you were making. Your point was they would cut Jao for a big. They wouldn’t cut him and they certainly wouldn’t cut him for something they’re already using 4 scholarships on
Also it's 100% relevant lol. If you have a scholarship being spent on a guy who can't play ACC basketball, why does it matter that he's a guard? That's the guy you'd take the scholly from to add the grad transfer big you need if Reid can't play.

Sure let’s have 5 potential 5 men and one PG. Makes sense!

The idea that Jao would have been voted, as a 1st year transfer from Marist, as a team captain just because he’s a swell guy with no chance at being a significant contributor seems pretty dumb/unlikely.

I. If his choice was that college wasn't for him and he wanted to play pro whether it's NBA or not, staying in Winston would have been against his interests.
again, you are just making an unfounded assumption.

Sure let’s have 5 potential 5 men and one PG. Makes sense!

The idea that Jao would have been voted, as a 1st year transfer from Marist, as a team captain just because he’s a swell guy with no chance at being a significant contributor seems pretty dumb/unlikely.
It also is exactly what I have heard, and also that if the vote happened again it definitely would be different. But hey, I'll agree to eat crow if Jao averages over 10 minutes per game this year if you all agree to eat crow if he doesn't. And the number of 5s isn't what matters, it's the number that have proven they can play it at an ACC level, which would be 0 on the roster if Reid doesn't get a waiver.

Agreed. But again, my point was that the poster was wrong to say Reid only chose Wake because it gave him his best chance at a geography waiver. Maybe he was led to believe it is the same geographically (not what the rulebook says, but of course it's the NCAA), but it sure as hell isn't better than VCU for the playing at home argument.
Nobody said Reid only chose Wake because it gave him the best chance at a waiver

Agreed. But again, my point was that the poster was wrong to say Reid only chose Wake because it gave him his best chance at a geography waiver. Maybe he was led to believe it is the same geographically (not what the rulebook says, but of course it's the NCAA), but it sure as hell isn't better than VCU for the playing at home argument.
That is not your point or what you were arguing against.
The original post that you pushed back on: “His destination has everything to do with the waiver. He needs to show he’s going somewhere close to home to care for family so the NCAA grants that waiver.”

His destination at the core did have to involve his waiver. The five schools I heard that were also trying to get him on an official visit all were much further away from home than either Wake or VCU, which is why it came down to those two. Him going to say Michigan and claiming it’s closer to home is a hell of a difference than Wake or VCU.

He was in the portal for a month. If VCU was the better option for a waiver, he would’ve gone there. No one is sitting here saying “yeah I’ll take a worse chance at being eligible” just to go to a different school.

Also it's 100% relevant lol. If you have a scholarship being spent on a guy who can't play ACC basketball, why does it matter that he's a guard? That's the guy you'd take the scholly from to add the grad transfer big you need if Reid can't play.
Because spending a 5th scholarship on a big, that also doesn’t exist, while you have exactly one person that can be a point guard for more than just a pinch is an absolutely moronic statement. If you’re saying this guy isn’t good enough, you’re not doing it to take a position you’ve allocated pretty much a third of your roster to.

Again! If grad transfer bigs were a thing, they literally wouldn’t have taken Reid!

Cam and NJD, please shut the fuck up.

Back to projections…agree with you, Creamy. Going ‘small’ we are still pretty big. I could actually see that lineup but maybe sub out one of Cam/Sallis and put AC in there.

We are going to be good again. Forbes is the man.

So is Sallis going to be a similar player to CMM? IDK what to think, but I'm excited about him.

Can Marsh and Can make jumps like they did Fr to So?

So many possibilities but agreed with the above that the talent level seems so much higher than anything we've had in 15 years.

Back