• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '23-'24 Roster Construction Thread: +Miller, Sallis, Reid, & Canka

Did Forbes say projected starters? I don't remember that. I do think that's who it will be based on the rankings and other information he shared. I don't think he mentioned Monsanto at all.

He mentioned him later in the Q&A. Said he’s a bit behind in his recovery/had a little setback after going home but that he still has a chance to be ready by the start of the season if he works hard

Did Forbes say projected starters? I don't remember that. I do think that's who it will be based on the rankings and other information he shared. I don't think he mentioned Monsanto at all.
He said Monsanto regressed when he went home for a few weeks and is now behind schedule.

At this point would be surprised if Boopie started. Sounds like Sallis is the starting PG.

So the leading scorer in the summer by a good amount is the PG and the leading assist man is coming off the bench? If he’s off the bench, who is your fifth starter if Monsanto isn’t ready.

Sallis, Carr, Hildreth seem like the only givens to start. Reid if eligible and Marsh if not take the 4th spot.

Lots of competition for the 5th spot. Monsanto if he ever gets fully healthy, but that doesn’t sound good for game 1.

Team should be at least 8 if not 9-10 guys deep. I’d argue we were 4.5 guys deep (of the quality needed to make the tournament) most of last year but 7-8 had to play…

I’m also curious to know who 10-12 are? I’d guess Keller and at least 1 if not 2 of the freshmen?

All conjecture from 1,000 miles away.

Just for fun, way too early pre-practice minutes projection - all games against top 300 competition, 0 in average if someone misses a game (Monsanto);

Sallis - 32
Cam - 30
Carr - 30
Marsh - 25
Canka - 22
Boopie - 16
Monsanto - 15
Parker - 10
MMM - 8
Keller - 6
Ituka - 3
Clark - 3
Reid - SMH @ NCAA

PG - Sallis 22, Boopie 16, Ituka 2
SG - Cam 16, Sallis 10, Parker 10, Ituka 1, Clark 3
SF - Monsanto - 10, Cam 14, Canka 16
PF - Carr 21, Canka 6, Monsanto 5, MMM 8
C - Marsh 25, Carr 9, Keller 6

Bigger guards helping overall size, but otherwise “playing small” given the roster makeup - see Carr minutes at C and Monsanto/Canka as small ball 4s at times.

If Reid can play, 25 minutes, taken from Marsh (10), Carr (4), Keller (4), MMM (3), Canka (2), Cam (1), Clark (1) and our lineups work in a more traditional way as everyone else slides down.

• Sallis, surprise starting PG
  • Cam
  • Monsanto regressed when he "went home" so Canka.
  • Carr
  • Marsh

YIA is right about the contingencies re: Reid will start over Marsh if eligible. Monsanto over Canka etc.

Last edited:
I’d much rather have Cam at 2 than 3. He’s a huge physical advantage at the 2 and we have solid to elite shooters at the 3 and 4.

So the leading scorer in the summer by a good amount is the PG and the leading assist man is coming off the bench? If he’s off the bench, who is your fifth starter if Monsanto isn’t ready.
Assists
  1. Miller 34
  2. Sallis 27
  3. Hildreth 26
It was pretty close in assists and it sounds like Sallis brings a ton to the table

WHAT HAPPENS IF REID’S WAIVER ISN’T APPROVED
Forbes: “I don’t think they’re necessarily cracking down. It seems to be case-by-case. We don’t know the particulars of any case, aside from the one we’re doing. It doesn’t affect me when I read that stuff, because it’s not his case. I feel good about what we’re doing. If we don’t get it, I’m sure we’ll appeal it. Then if we don’t, then he’ll sit and have two more years. He knows that. It’s not what he wants to do, and it’s not what we want. He’s a heck of a player and a difference maker. He’s got a special personality. I really like him. I don’t get too caught up in what anyone else is doing, because it’s not what we’re doing.”

ON HUNTER SALLIS
Forbes: “Hunter is just a super guy. He has a great personality, is a hard worker and is humble. He’s extremely talented and has been well coached. He gets it. He’s got great feet defensively and can guard any position. Playing him at the point a lot, and playing him some off the ball. They’re all different — Ty, Alondes (Williams) and Hunter. Hunter is very unselfish and passes up a lot of shots sometimes. I have to get on him to shoot it. He’s a winner, and I like that about him. His teammates like him and I think that’s important too. I’m not going to try to compare him, but he’s got a chance to have a great year.”

It's great to hear about Sallis playing well. I'm still excited about and rooting for Boopie too. Competition for playing time is good and there is a lot of talent and potential on this team.

Last edited:
Any guesses on the SEC opponent for the exhibition? Kentucky? Auburn maybe with the Pearl link? Tennessee maybe?

Understaffed Ncaa starting faith football decisions before moving to other sports?

I would be surprised if Canka started. Forbes has barely mentioned him while praising numerous other players.

I’m guessing we will see both Sallis and Boopie at point. From the press conference it sounds like the roster situation is fluid and players could play themselves into more playing time or less depending on performance.

Yknow.... I learned from my wife years ago that if you do things authentically and in integrity then you don't have to worry about other people's perceptions, opinions, and/or finding out your secrets (since you won't have any)

And when I see Coach Forbes be open, honest, and funny, I see a man that is doing his best and doing things the right way and he's not worried about some dirt coming to light because he puts it all out there and is genuinely a good dude

So I salute Coach Forbes when he speaks, because he can be completely authentic and silly and maybe cross the line here and there, but because he's a solid ass human everywhere in his life he's got no worries about just being himself

Back