• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: +Spillers/Biliew/Cosby/Johnson/Abass

I think Sallis will have a similar trajectory to Alondes. Alondes didn't get drafted, got a two-way deal with the Nets, didn't catch on, got picked up by the Heat, broke out in the G-League, and got called up but didn't get much run. That's a good scenario for Sallis and if he has a shot at that, I doubt he'll come back.

If this is the case he’ll almost certainly be a Deac next season. I think he’s a bit more highly regarded than that though. Big week for him, probably eases his stress a bit to have nearly a mil to come back to as a floor.

Ok, SkydivingDeac, do we have any magic left in the portal?
I honestly don’t know. The PG mystery isn’t one anymore and my source wasn’t lying when they responded ‘he’s tall’ when I inquired. I think we will get KJ based on some of what they’ve said so far and the staff is really high on him. He will also probably get more eyeballs and coverage of his talents here than he will overseas - especially if Wake can make a run. The last thing I was told re: Baba was that he wanted to commit to Wake, but was focusing on the NBA pre-draft process (which Forbes and Co. encouraged him to go through). I have no idea why/if he’s waiting to announce or if there’s trouble in paradise or what, and I haven’t asked. I feel like they would have texted me something if he was backing away from Wake, though. Hope we get Baba. He could be a difference maker for us next season.

ETA: If Hunt doesn’t go high enough to get a good guaranteed deal and/or falls into the second round, there’s a good chance he comes back. Seeing him at 27 is like the worst thing that could happen - it sucks for us and it’s not great for Hunt who deserves better. I agree that he doesn’t have anything left to prove to scouts/teams, though and him then going through the same process a year older does nothing but hurt his stock. However, it is very likely that Sallis would project significantly better to NBA teams if he could run some point (which honestly that’s where I think a lot of teams would want to see him - almost a backup PG if your primary gets hurt or gets into foul trouble or something like that). Sallis hasn’t proven that he can play in that role for extended minutes and there are elite scorers in the league that can do both. If he comes back and works on his passing/dribbling and also continues to score at a high level, he could shoot up 10-15 spots (except next year’s draft is really strong). He should go if he’s top 20. Anything significantly under that, and I think you roll the dice, come back, get paid close to a $1MM in NIL, work on your game, make a run at Wake and go back to the draft with a lot of buzz. Two years in a row dominating means a shit ton more to making a roster than battling it out with a lot of other similarly talented players in the G-League. If he looks at the way things went for Alondes…I don’t think the Sallis family would settle for that and they shouldn’t. They’ve got higher aspirations, and they know coming back to Wake is an attractive option. My source said some of that for what it’s worth. It’s not this total crapshoot that Hunter comes back to Wake - there’s a decent chance.

Last edited:
I honestly don’t know. The PG mystery isn’t one anymore and my source wasn’t lying when they responded ‘he’s tall’ when I inquired. I think we will get KJ based on some of what they’ve said so far and the staff is really high on him. He will also probably get more eyeballs and coverage of his talents here than he will overseas - especially if Wake can make a run. The last thing I was told re: Baba was that he wanted to commit to Wake, but was focusing on the NBA pre-draft process (which Forbes and Co. encouraged him to go through). I have no idea why/if he’s waiting to announce or if there’s trouble in paradise or what, and I haven’t asked. I feel like they would have texted me something if he was backing away from Wake, though. Hope we get Baba. He could be a difference maker for us next season.
Think his G League Elite camp ended today so probably would make a college decision pretty soon

Could be an issue if Baba wants to showcase his skills at the 5. Or maybe he wants to prove he can be a big wing.

Could be an issue if Baba wants to showcase his skills at the 5. Or maybe he wants to prove he can be a big wing.

By all accounts baba seems to think of himself as a 3 and doesn’t want to play the 5. Seems pretty crazy to me for a guy who’s 7’

Yeah, Baba would be a 4 here and basically get to showcase his talents as a big wing (which Omaha will be similar as a big wing…talk about matchup problems for other teams). He’d be Carr’s replacement and we would use him similarly. Not sure if he has some of the same skills as Carr yet, but his ceiling is higher, IMHO. He would be a load in a Forbes offense. He doesn’t want to bang at the 5…which again, is why Wake is in a good spot. We could theoretically put him at the 5 in spurts if needed, but with Churchill we would likely not need and or want to do that.

Staff is also high on Ty. I was told a week or so ago that we were close with a guard from the ACC and I asked if I would know them and they said ‘no’. Again, they weren’t lying, but Ty looks damn good. I actually remember his pass against us when Damari was out of position on defense. That was his first game back for the Deacs when he hit four in a row and he just couldn’t stay in front of his man and Ty threw a perfect pass for an easy two. That’s the only thing I remember about him, but couldn’t have told you his name. We could have a logjam at the 1 at times if Hunt comes back, we get KJ and we have Ty…but on the slight chance that all happens, I don’t think anyone would complain. We would be very deep at every position.

TIME TO UPDATE THE THREAD TITLE
Was gone all weekend. My bad.

Excited.

Still don't think Sallis is coming back, but hopeful on KJ.

No matter what, we have a fun team with some potential next season. Quite a few wild cards, but I like the high risk / high reward gambles.

I think Sallis will have a similar trajectory to Alondes. Alondes didn't get drafted, got a two-way deal with the Nets, didn't catch on, got picked up by the Heat, broke out in the G-League, and got called up but didn't get much run. That's a good scenario for Sallis and if he has a shot at that, I doubt he'll come back.
I don't know. We can probably pay him more than even the best two-way deal, and with a lot more certainty. It is kind of like Hartman or RJ Davis - he can make more money for that one year in college than he can going pro, and his draft stock probably is what it is either way, it isn't really going to move. Granted the mocks don't know shit at this point, but most I've seen show him somewhere in the 40s. He likely has a long road to make it to the NBA, it would make some sense to get some more guaranteed cash before starting it. We'll know a lot more after the combine.

Also, unrelated, but from his one clip that Abass guy has more pumpfakes than Josh Shoemaker.

I guess i don't see how following this trajectory would be more beneficial to Sallis than returning for his SR year and rejoining this plan a year later with a pocket full of money and a degree.

The guaranteed money through NIL now is a big game changer for fringe prospects. A lot more money in CBB than on a 2 way deal. At least it seems that way for a prospect like Sallis.

I guess i don't see how following this trajectory would be more beneficial to Sallis than returning for his SR year and rejoining this plan a year later with a pocket full of money, a degree, an ACC POY award and a Final Four run.
FIFY

Ituka visited Fairfield late last week...

Have heard nothing on Monsanto or Canka.

Damari quitting on team has soured potential suitors who likely prefer taking a transfer with more years of eligibility. Still expect Damari to catch on with someone, albeit at a significantly reduced price tag. Would not surprise me to see him catch on with another ACC team very late in the game. They know his potential for offensive outbursts.

Back