• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: +Spillers/Biliew/Cosby/Johnson/Abass

I don’t know how people can keep saying that Forbes is “building” a program. He starts from scratch every year. That isn’t tenable.
In today's environment it seems almost every coach is having to in one way or another rebuild their program. Today it is not on how well one can recruit, it is how much $$$ do you have to buy the team of your dreams.

I don’t know how people can keep saying that Forbes is “building” a program. He starts from scratch every year. That isn’t tenable.
I mean, this is a fair point. But in today's environment of instant transfer for straight cash, I'd argue everyone is battling changeover and "building" a program includes the good will Forbes is clearly building with his ability to find and elevate portal talent.

Manman drove the Appleby signing, Appleby drove the Sallis signing, and there's already talk that Sallis is helping Wake should he bolt for the NBA. Returning a couple solid starters and a bench player while bringing in a few transfers every year that are consistently solid very could be the "building a program" of today's (trash) college basketball environment.

things could definitely get a lot worse for our basketball program then they have been for the last three years.
I agree that if the AD doesn’t have enough confidence in themselves and their program to find a capable replacement then they shouldn’t make a coaching change. I just don’t believe you are going to find an athletic director with that little confidence. There are probably 25 programs in the country with such established coaches that would stymie a coaching change, I don’t think we are one of them.

Last edited:
How are people wasting mental bandwidth and stress on Forbes being fired at this point? It's just dumb and not going to happen.

I honestly don't care either way at this point. If we make some noise and make the tourney next year (hopefully with 3+ ACC/NCAA tourney wins), I'll be firmly Forbes-in. If we slide backwards and miss badly, I'll be Forbes-out. If we're another bubble team throughout the year and miss or have early/ugly flame-outs from the postseason, I'll be Forbes-maybe, like I am now.

Is the search function too challenging for a scholar like strickland33?
He didn't say you never post. Just that there is no actual thought or substance behind the post.

At the grocery store today, newsmax had a magazine with NEW EVIDENCE that jesus did actually come back to life AND EVEDINCE of what he ACTUALLY looked like. Mind blowing stuff really. You should check out that mag for substance. Might learn something.

Dude, I've been on this board for 13 years, and have just over a thousand posts. I will give you credit, though, for crafting a perfectly annoying message board persona. You really have perfected the art of annoyance. It somehow irritates the crap out of me, and makes me laugh at the same time. It's uncanny.
He can’t resist mocking another poster as his primary means of engaging with the board. It’s a funny little insecure obsession.

With Forbes?

Done with college or simply Wake basketball, I get. Not sure what Forbes is supposed to do about Sallis leaving or Boopie wanting $500k short of personally funding a starting 5.
You joke and I’m sure it’s against the rules (though what are rules anymore) - but if I were a coach with millions, reinvesting some of it back into my team to get huge on court returns, thereby guaranteeing more millions, seems a pretty sensible professional and financial decision.

You joke and I’m sure it’s against the rules (though what are rules anymore) - but if I were a coach with millions, reinvesting some of it back into my team to get huge on court returns, thereby guaranteeing more millions, seems a pretty sensible professional and financial decision.
Not a joke. It's been disclosed on this Board by RTQ that WF made a significant offer to Boopie to stay. Boopie (or more precisely those advising him) thought he was entitled to more (apparently $500k). WF could not get there and have the funds to retain others; so, Boop went in the portal and is not coming back.

Not a joke. It's been disclosed on this Board by RTQ that WF made a significant offer to Boopie to stay. Boopie (or more precisely those advising him) thought he was entitled to more (apparently $500k). WF could not get there and have the funds to retain others; so, Boop went in the portal and is not coming back.
No I was referring the sarcastic statement made that the coach himself should fund the team. I was noting that that was surely said in jest, but that it’s too bad that can’t actually happen (I assume). I mean if we are paying players, then let’s give the coaches the chance to add their massive salaries to the NIL pot.

No I was referring the sarcastic statement made that the coach himself should fund the team. I was noting that that was surely said in jest, but that it’s too bad that can’t actually happen (I assume). I mean if we are paying players, then let’s give the coaches the chance to add their massive salaries to the NIL pot.
I'm sure it happens at some schools. Coach probably pays a sketchy non-profit, non-profit sends it to the NIL collective. Collective pays player. It's the wild west out there now.

It absolutely does. 150th and 27th are not the same in an honest evaluation of the program. I think the divide between the absolutists and the rest really creates a discussion from two polar opposites that has no chance of coming to a conclusion.
There’s a major difference between 150th and 27th. Finishing 150th gets you fired in 2 seasons, the consequence of 27th is yet to be determined, but the outlook isn’t bright.

Side note, the pain of nearly making the tourney but missing it is definitely not worse than having a completely irrelevant basement program.
Each is its own brand of pain. But for Wake fans it’s not happening in a vacuum. The context is that it was a decade of the second kind of pain, followed by now four years of the first kind of pain, with no reprieve. Other programs at least have a flash here and there of some truly positive post season success just to keep them going. But not us.

Of course people need to vent in the face of that.

Coaches great at home and bad on the road. Weird. Just like Keatts coached really badly for the season then figured out how to coach all of a sudden.

Or maybe the players had some combo of getting hot and/or not getting injured. I dunno.
Acting like questioning Forbes’ coaching ability is limited to the circumstances of this year is completely ignoring complaints from previous seasons. His teams consistently (1) play out of control; (2) struggle on the road; (3) regress at the end of the season; and (4) lose the games they either “need to win” or “absolutely cannot lose” when it comes to crunch time.

All of these points have been raised by people in tons of game threads and other threads the past three seasons, and two of those teams were absolutely talented enough to make the tournament.

Back