• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

Aside from the Sallis and Ituka silliness, apparently Clark a bigger loss than either Marsh or Keller? Have to assume Rothstein did this little research on all but his top 10.
Rothstein is simply looking for attention. Doing this exercise at a time when hundreds of meaningful players are in the portal is meaningless and shouldn't be taken even semi-seriously.

Dell’Orso would be a great wing to bring off the bench if we can talk him into that role with some NIL. Watched him a bit this year with last summer in mind. Very productive as the numbers show but a little limited athletically that concerns me a little with a step up in competition. Would like to see us give it a shot though since we have scholarships to work with.

If Sallis is gone, I'm expecting Spillers to start at the 3 and be in the All-ACC HM conversation. I did a detailed breakdown of all of Forbes's transfers here, but Spillers is the first Forbes transfer, possibly the first in school history, to be First-Team All-Conference at his old school, and he did it on the second-highest-ranked non-P6 team of any Forbes transfer. One of his teammates was also named first-team, but Spillers was 1A or 1B on a team that was, efficiency-wise, almost identical to Florida State or Syracuse. In addition to that, the staff clearly liked his skill set and made him an early priority. On paper, he's the best transfer Forbes has ever gotten, and I'd be surprised if he doesn't make a major impact.

I am by no means suggesting that we turn down good players based on position at this point. However, this is what we have on the roster:

Cam
Carr
Reid
Parker
Juke
MMM
Canka
Spillers

Unless we get an early decision from Sallis, that roster spot is probably dead. Two years ago, we never filled Jake's spot. Last year, we replaced Bobi with Canka, which... yeah. That leaves us with four spots. I think everyone agrees we need a big, and we absolutely need a point guard, preferably two. Again, it's early and you take the good players where you find them, but we do have bigger holes at the moment.
I think a big advantage of getting Spillers early is that now Forbes can just take whatever the best players are that he is able to recruit. If Forbes only finds guards and centers but doesn't find a true 3 to take Sallis' spot, Spillers can plug in at the 3 and Forbes can take the guards/centers. If Forbes finds several high level wings (or if Sallis comes back), he can shift Spillers into a 3 man big rotation with Carr/Efton and just play Spillers spot minutes at the 3.

I think you're right that Forbes has learned from the lesson of Jake's and Bobi's late exits leaving an unfillable hole and is trying to avoid the same problem with Sallis.

I think a big advantage of getting Spillers early is that now Forbes can just take whatever the best players are that he is able to recruit. If Forbes only finds guards and centers but doesn't find a true 3 to take Sallis' spot, Spillers can plug in at the 3 and Forbes can take the guards/centers. If Forbes finds several high level wings (or if Sallis comes back), he can shift Spillers into a 3 man big rotation with Carr/Efton and just play Spillers spot minutes at the 3.

I think you're right that Forbes has learned from the lesson of Jake's and Bobi's late exits leaving an unfillable hole and is trying to avoid the same problem with Sallis.
I don't know if I really see Spillers fitting as a 3 for us unless Forbes is making big changes. He basically doesn't shoot outside of 10ft. He shot one 3 all year. I see him rotating with Carr/Efton and maybe going some limited time with a "big" lineup

I don't know if I really see Spillers fitting as a 3 for us unless Forbes is making big changes. He basically doesn't shoot outside of 10ft. He shot one 3 all year. I see him rotating with Carr/Efton and maybe going some limited time with a "big" lineup
I agree that the shooting is an issue, but talent is talent. The best players will find their way onto the floor for significant minutes one way or another.

It helps that Carr is a high level shooter and that Efton also has the ability to shoot.

I agree that the shooting is an issue, but talent is talent. The best players will find their way onto the floor for significant minutes one way or another.

It helps that Carr is a high level shooter and that Efton also has the ability to shoot.
yeah, if Spillers is a the 3, I can see having Carr and Reid more on the perimeter, pulling the other bigs out a bit, leaving a mismatch on the inside with Spillers. At the very least, there will be someone to rebound whenever Reid fires up a three rather than having the lane completely open.

William Kyle + Dell'orso + Veteran PG + everyone coming back and we're cooking
I mean if by everyone you also mean Sallis then yeah duh.

A team of Cam, PFred, Sallis, Juke, Dell'orso, Spillers, Reid, Carr, Kyle is probably pre-season ranked even if we don't get the PG that you mention.

went to Idaho State - Campbell game this year and Idaho State waxed them. Dell'Orso had pretty bad body language and generally played a bad game. Small sample size though.

Is he able to get NIL? I don't think he's an American citizen. But I'm not clear on the specifics of all that

Is he able to get NIL? I don't think he's an American citizen. But I'm not clear on the specifics of all that
Non-US Citizens can receive NIL, but not in the U.S. It's a stupid work-around, but WF has to pay Cam when he is in the UK, and Dell'Orso when he is Australia.

Aden Holloway just entered the portal. 6'0 freshman PG at Auburn. From Matthews, NC. I'm not sure how aggressively, but it looks like we were one of the teams in on him before he committed to Auburn. Want.

Holloway was a HS 5 star. He received a big bag to go to Auburn. Guessing he will be looking for a big one for next season.

FWIW, heard that Miami paid VT transfer Lynn Kidd $600K to commit. Just to give an idea what it takes to land a solid power V starter.

I would assume Dell'Orso views himself as a starter, even at the ACC level. I don't see how Forbes could guarantee him a starting spot given we have no certainty what will happen with Sallis (he gone). If I am Forbes, I leave the Sallis door open as long as I can.

My guess would be that Dell'Orso only got lukewarm interest last season from high major programs, so he returned to Campbell to improve his stock for this portal go around.

I'd be thrilled to have him on the roster, competing for whatever minutes he earns... But I have to think there are other programs that would be more apt to guarantee him a starting role (I could be wrong). We may have missed our shot with him last year (given the apparent logjam at the 3 with Sallis & Monsanto).

Rothstein is simply looking for attention. Doing this exercise at a time when hundreds of meaningful players are in the portal is meaningless and shouldn't be taken even semi-seriously.
It is impossible to predict with the amount of uncertainty with every school. What is alarming is how many players can still technically play if they want to like RJ Davis and Hunter Dickinson.

I would assume Dell'Orso views himself as a starter, even at the ACC level. I don't see how Forbes could guarantee him a starting spot given we have no certainty what will happen with Sallis (he gone). If I am Forbes, I leave the Sallis door open as long as I can.

My guess would be that Dell'Orso only got lukewarm interest last season from high major programs, so he returned to Campbell to improve his stock for this portal go around.

I'd be thrilled to have him on the roster, competing for whatever minutes he earns... But I have to think there are other programs that would be more apt to guarantee him a starting role (I could be wrong). We may have missed our shot with him last year (given the apparent logjam at the 3 with Sallis & Monsanto).
This is probably right and where the Sallis situations fucks WF. Seems like there is a growing belief here (or convincing ourselves) that Sallis is coming back. Anything is possible, but think that he will be promised to be a 2nd round pick, with some teams telling him, he could go late first depending on how things shake out. If that is the case, almost all players in that situation leave. WF will offer him a great NIL deal, but this is the NBA.

Would love to see Sallis return, but just feel like this is another situation where we are Charlie Brown and Lucy is the holder...

charlie-brown-football.gif

Seems like there is a growing belief here (or convincing ourselves) that Sallis is coming back.
Wait are there people actually doing this? Don't do this, this is dumb.

Forbes should attack this offseason as though he's not coming back and then figure out how to make it work if he does for whatever reason return. I'd rather have Sallis coming back and have Dell'orso pissed off about his minutes than have neither and I sure hope Forbes feels the same way.

Back