• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

Lol if every other school is coming up short on funds then who is inflating the market? If it's just unrealistic expectations from the players, the demands will come down once nobody gives them what they want.
One would think!

Unfortunately wake basketball does not have time to allow the market to correct itself. Other schools can do that … like NC State - since they just went on a run I have been dreaming about for Wake since the 1984 win over DePaul. Not suggesting we break the bank but time is of the essence if we ever want to be relevant again and over paying right now will yield dividends in the future. This feels like the Alamo for wake basketball.

College sports discovers labor economics.

how's it going on getting our own chicken money?
We should just go all in on BIG PHARMA or some equivalent.

It's a shame NIL and the height of RJR didn't line up. Would be dope as hell to have NIL deals with players just firing off Marlboro Reds on their way into the stadium. We would be KINGS.

It's a shame NIL and the height of RJR didn't line up. Would be dope as hell to have NIL deals with players just firing off Marlboro Reds on their way into the stadium. We would be KINGS.
Marlboro? GTFO. This is the Camel City, son.

Yeah, my read is that there is a player (or 2 or 3) that the staff feels is worth the asking price, but they have concerns about that that means for filling out the roster (especially with Sallis as a ???).

As JohnToms states above, it's fine to wait out the market until the players you really want end up elsewhere. If you wait too long, you miss out on targets and then get a pupu platter of "high value" players that aren't winning you anything.

It's like every auction style NFL fantasy draft I've even been in. Certain teams blow their wad on superstars early for like $40-50 each and are content to just fill in the blanks with $1 players. It's easy to say that's a terrible strategy, but then you end up with a bunch of $10 players for $5 each. Great value! But you aren't competing with the top teams when you have that roster. There's a happy medium in there... Definitely not easy to execute.

We could have had Doral "cigs" Moore for his senior season with NIL!!!

resize

I mean if everyone was smoking like a chimney it would at least give us an excuse for constantly fading in the second half

Let's see, it's going to cost more than we anticipated to keep/land top players and by the way we're banking on our superstar NBA draft prospect to do what basically no player since Timmy D has done and return for another year. Sounds about right for WF.

It might not exist, but I have a memory of a nice photoshop with Doral Moore smoking a cigarette and I wish I could find it right now.

"Experience the Wide Wake of Flavor with Wake Forest & Camel Wides: Unleash Your Boldness."

Back