• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

Almost every development around WFU basketball does not fall our way, and it's been that way for a while. Which means we have to hang our hats on an ever-increasing number of future counteracting good developments just to maintain status quo. That is not a good bet statistically. In our case (where we know nothing ever goes our way AND the universe hates us), it's the longest of long shots.

My thinking is that while I hope WFU basketball wins every game, I just cannot muster up the passion I used to have. I miss that.

Let's face it. Wake can't and never will retain players in this environment. Entirely new team every year means no tournament again. We will never know if forbes can coach a team to post season because there will always be a built in excuse, new players every year. I really don't get it. Either none of these players like going to wake forest, or they don't really like playing for forbes. Yet our "rivals" retain players every year. There is no excuse for letting a player like Carr go if this is true. He was the least I was worried about leaving. You can't pay him enough to stay?? I get Sallis going to NBA because that happens every year but we can't even keep our 2nd and 3rd best players. The rep for forbes in the portal was built out of necessity because he has to build a roster from scratch, he can't keep that up forever we will have a dud year coming soon if something doesn't change.
Sorry rant over

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

No way to sugar coat it. That’s a tough loss. But if we can bring in Kyle to play in a rotation with Spillers and Reid, the front court would still be pretty solid.

We’re gonna look and play a lot different next year on both ends.

Yeah almost all of the other portal adds are going to have to be able to shoot or at least a threat to shoot.

And we have to hope like hell that Cam decides to stick around.

Carr leaving hurts, but it would have been an extra COVID year anyway.

The handwriting was on the wall with Kyle still being in play.

To be clear, nobody has publicly said what Carr is doing. No idea if he is just going pro overseas or transferring (Villanova?). Commentary suggests this is NOT NIL related.

As always, it'll be interesting to see where our departing players end up (and how they ultimately do).

I'd suspect Boopie gets his bag somewhere, but no idea what his role will be at that destination. Also have to think someone will take a flier on Monsanto, given he has an elite skill (shooting). After that, I have no idea and not much would surprise me.

The handwriting was on the wall with Kyle still being in play.
Yeah. In retrospect, I'm not sure how my brain didn't get to that conclusion while I was trying to figure out frontcourt minutes for Carr, Reid, Spillers, AND Kyle.

Spillers may see some time at the 3, but Forbes isn't gonna roll out a lineup where both the 3 and 4 don't even attempt 3s. It's more likely that we see some Spillers/Kyle at the 4/5 when Reid sits.

Assuming, of course, that Kyle is a Deac.

Returning three starters (that actually should be ACC starters) would for the first time in forever have felt like we had a recognizable team. Like everyone keeps saying, when you have everyone leave, rinse and repeat, its just not enjoyable. I'm sure Forbes will put together a competitive squad and I'm sure I'll be hooked in February and tune back in, but I'm just not into it and when we again fail to perform in March, I'll be pissed off.

It would’ve been impressive if we brought in an All Sun Belt first team and Summit League first team / defensive player of the year to come off the bench. In retrospect, yeah that’s not all that realistic.

Sounds like we’ll be upgrading our athleticism quite a bit but shooting and spacing is becoming a concern,

Yeah, Carr should not be on the subject line until we get solid confirmation (x, or whatever). That would be a big loss and I hope this is more of a "wait and see" situation...as to who is returning before making any official statements. Carr can make money overseas, most likely more than he would make here for another year.

just when we thought the dust was settling a little Sallis and Carr make everything clear as mud again.

Unless and until the NIL thing is reined in, this is going to be the new normal. It's a shame that this didn't become the norm when we were a perennial top 20 team. But we aren't, and until we go on a little consecutive NCAATs run, the kids are going to have less attraction to us-- and that includes kids that are already here and would like to see the NCAAT during their tenure (whether that's the case with whoever has decided to leave this time, I don't know). In the meantime, expect a new team every year and zero consistency. Temper your expectations every year because we won't know where we may be headed until we actually play some games. Best we can hope for is to just make the tourney with a good season or catch lightning in a bottle like NCSU did this year. The latter is highly unlikely for any team, but especially Wake since we are cursed by Satanic voodoo forces beyond our control.

I’m going to struggle to be optimistic if we are actually losing Carr (in addition to Boopie being gone).

I’m sure Forbes will bring in enough good players to maintain a similar level as the past few years. But I’m beginning to doubt that we are going to take that all-important next step forward.

Agreed. Isn’t that the whole point? If you aren’t reporting then why are you getting paid to be a reporter?
right. either the player is going to announce themselves and Cam will come back with "yeah, that's what I was talking about" or some other reporter like Rothstein or whatever will have no qualms about putting it out there.

Yeah, Carr should not be on the subject line until we get solid confirmation (x, or whatever). That would be a big loss and I hope this is more of a "wait and see" situation...as to who is returning before making any official statements. Carr can make money overseas, most likely more than he would make here for another year.

just when we thought the dust was settling a little Sallis and Carr make everything clear as mud again.

I get this, but OGBoards isn't some official Wake Forest platform. All indications now are that Carr will not be playing for Wake Forest next season. I don't feel the need to be conservative about it.

When we're bringing somebody in, however, I'm fine to wait until we get an announcement because I'm always #nervous.

Back