• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

The only issue is does it even matter in basketball anymore. It doesn't drive the big bucks and college basketball is no longer the place where all the best players go to play a year or more before going to the NBA.

Where are they going? It appears the top 50 recruits are all going to college next year. G-League Ignite got shut down. Curious as to your perspective here.

Yea, like come on guys. One sport has like 85 scholarships, the other what, 13? One awesome player—like, say, a home grown point guard from a few miles away—can make a basketball program an instant title contender. It’s the same 4-6 SEC and Big 10 teams vying for the football championship every year, and they have waves upon waves of 5 star linemen that would eat us over the course of an entire game.

Now, the fact that we’ve actually been more competitive over the past 10-15 years in football is more of an indictment of our basketball program than an honest reflection of the relative parity of the two sports. A basketball program with our facilities, NBA pedigree, and (at least until recently, conference affiliation) should never have been allowed to fall as far as it did.

But if every basketball program is an awesome player away from being a title contender, how can we say Wake is specifically closer?

maybe after the Covid year shakes out, college hoops programs will be one awesome player away from being a title contender. I don't think that is the case this year.

Consider UConn. They signed an elite McDAA player, Stacey Castle's kid, and he is an important player. However, the backbone of that team is the two grown-ass men 5th-year players (transfers, btw), Spencer and Newton.

Meanwhile USC signed an elite McDAA player (Collier) regarded to be better than Castle, and they went 15-18.

In ACC play don't you feel Boopie was very inconsistent? Not everyone scores 20+ a game. He had some of those. But inopportune FTs missed, TOs, consistently driving and trying to shoot over 6'6"+ inside guys without kicking it out, said a lot about his weaknesses. He's played awhile. Should have learned better the art of penetration and kicking out to an open 3, especially at his height. On floor level he looked 5'10". The little 5'8" UGa. guard outplayed him and the last half of the season, he got shot over a bunch for 3s. He didn't lead well on FBs.We need something better, really.

I'll miss Marsh the most. IMHO, he wasn't that bad to have not played more minutes than he did. He actually rebounded pretty well and I think opponents got less O rebounds when he was playing. You could tell there was no big man work from our staff. At least Danny had that going for him...Sarr, Collins, etc. I think Forbes should have sent him to Big Man Camp every summer, assuming he didn't. With the right coaching, he possibly could make the NBA one day.

We all need to remember Forbes dealt with a wife who had strokes and that at an early age. Let's give him a little grace if he was not as focused and likely very exhausted.
Marsh seeing no playing time for multiple games with Keller taking his minutes was odd.

Where are they going? It appears the top 50 recruits are all going to college next year. G-League Ignite got shut down. Curious as to your perspective here.
Oh, that's breaking news to me. Didn't know G-League Ignite was shutting down. But I think it was Pilchard (very well could be wrong) who had a great post about how many of the first rounders weren't even from college.

Also I realize that I’m basically Al Bundy recounting the days when I was young enough to be a good person to introduce to recruits 😂
So you were a Deacon Darling (I think that is what they were called when I was there)

So you were a Deacon Darling (I think that is what they were called when I was there)
Oh fuck no. No offense to Deacon Darlings. It was just exams week and he was supposed to visit with Jamal and Taron and they didn’t know what to do with him when they were at tutoring all day. We always had an eclectic crew over at our apartment and we were checked out seniors, so he ended up with us all day. My kids think it’s a cool story 🤷🏼‍♀️

Oh fuck no. No offense to Deacon Darlings. It was just exams week and he was supposed to visit with Jamal and Taron and they didn’t know what to do with him when they were at tutoring all day. We always had an eclectic crew over at our apartment and we were checked out seniors, so he ended up with us all day. My kids think it’s a cool story 🤷🏼‍♀️
Why oh why did a recruiting visit get scheduled for exam week?

Now that they're gone there's really no need to revise what Keller and Marsh were as Deacs. They both got opportunities to start games and play solid minutes, both are just not good. It's just not a "hope for the light to turn on" world anymore with all the transfers. Keller had 8 2-point buckets this entire year. That's one less than he had last year. He made basically no progress. Marsh got a dozen games with double digit minutes, in more than half of them he had 3 or fewer rebounds. He showed glimpses of being a usable 5-8mpg backup/3rd stringer - there are probably 40 guys in the portal with that as their floor instead of their ceiling. Forbes gave them both plenty of opportunities to carve out some kind of niche to be effective, both showed promise at times. Once they drop a few levels of competition maybe it works out for both of them, but when the natural reaction to any useful play from a guy is shock and surprise, it probably means fans are reaching for positives.

Man, people here are experts about how to spend other people's money.

The claim that WF should devote its NIL dollars to one sport over another misses the mark as to how NIL generally works, especially for the big money contributors.

Sorry, but Bob McCreary isn't giving seven figues to WF NIL to spend it on anything other than football. Same with David Couch in baseball, Ben Sutton football/basketball and Mit Shah in basketball; women's golf has some big backers too. These are just the donors we know about. The reason why there has been little NIL spent on women's basketball is that none of the whale donors have earmarked their money for that sport.

The easiest way to lose NIL donors is to tell them: "Thanks a lot for your NIL contribution for football, but we think that sport is a lost cause for WF; so, your money is better spent on bringing in a men's basketball stretch 4 from North Dakota State; or women's basketball 5 from Davidson." There is some limited NIL money that can be generally spent, which is sprinkled among all WF sports, but the money that makes a difference for a particular player comes from big donors who are involved in the decision-making process (also, even for those that give $50 a month to NIL can earmark that contribution for a particular sport if they choose to do so... and many do).

So, there will never be a decision to short the football program and to divert contributions to men's basketball or women's basketball (which is hilarious to me - the women's basketball program has had virtually no major benefactor, they need money; if you truly care about that program, make an NIL donation earmarked from women's hoop; otherwise, STFU because no else has done that, including those here claiming money should be spent to women's hoop; if you really believe that WF women's basketball merit's NIL support, there is a platform for you to start that campaign, but right now, the money says there is little interest).

Last edited:
Man, people here are experts about how to spend other people's money.

The claim that WF should devote its NIL dollars to one sport over another misses the mark as to how NIL generally works, especially for the big money contributors.

Sorry, but Bob McCreary isn't giving seven figues to WF NIL to spend it on anything other than football. Same with David Couch in baseball, Ben Sutton football/basketball and Mit Shah in basketball; women's golf has some big backers too. These are just the donors we know about. The reason why there has been little NIL spent on women's basketball is that none of the whale donors have earmarked their money for that sport.

The easiest way to lose NIL donors is to tell them: "Thanks a lot for your NIL contribution for football, but we think that sport is a lost cause for WF; so, your money is better spent on bringing in a men's basketball stretch 4 from North Dakota State; or women's basketball 5 from Davidson." There is some limited NIL money that can be generally spent, which is sprinkled among all WF sports, but the money that makes a difference for a particular player comes from big donors who are involved in the decision-making process (also, even for those that give $50 a month to NIL can earmark that contribution for a particular sport if they choose to do so... and many do).

So, the idea that a decision going to be made to short the football program and to divert contributions to men's basketball or women's basketball (which is hilarious to me - the women's basketball program has had virtually no major benefactor, they need money; if you truly care about that program, make an NIL donation earmarked from women's hoop; otherwise, STFU because no else has done that, including those here claiming money should be spent to women's hoop; if you really believe that WF women's basketball merit's NIL support, there is a platform for you to start that campaign, but right now, the money says there is little interest).
Correct! Most donors that give have earmarked funds for specific sports (or said I want a % to go here, and a % to go here). No surprise that football, mbb, and baseball have the lions share of contributions.

We do have $ coming in for men's golf (+ more RTQ news coming soon for that program around a big NIL event in Winston this fall - make sure you stick around on Saturday after the Friday night Cal football game). RTQ will also have 6-figures available for WBB in 2024.

Probably just the commie-lib in me, but I think a reasonable percentage of all NIL donations should automatically go to women’s sports.
They're not really considered donations - one doesn't get a tax write-off for it (unless it's being used as a marketing expense for your business)

RTQ is a brand and it is paying student-athletes to be sponsors / advertisers for it. Not supposed to be any different than DraftKings paying LeBron or FanDuel paying Charles Barkley.

Last edited:
Back