• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU makes international news - for pricing out the middle class

In California, it's surprisingly pretty common to start at a community college then finish up at a public school (UCLA, Cal, UCSD, etc). Seems like on the east coast you're assumed to be a donk that couldn't get in anywhere out of hs if you do that.

I think in NC if you go to CC and have a certain GPA you are guaranteed acceptance to the UNC system. Don't know specifics but that's a nice idea for a lot of folks.

I think in NC if you go to CC and have a certain GPA you are guaranteed acceptance to the UNC system. Don't know specifics but that's a nice idea for a lot of folks.

Yeah but there's still a stigma about going that route that doesn't exist o the the west coast. Except for judgmental east coasters like me.

I think the plan I mentioned above is fairly new. I wonder if it will change perceptions? If one had aspirations of a career that wasn't very financially rewarding it makes a ton of sense.

In California, it's surprisingly pretty common to start at a community college then finish up at a public school (UCLA, Cal, UCSD, etc). Seems like on the east coast you're assumed to be a donk that couldn't get in anywhere out of hs if you do that.

In California a lot of students in the public schools can't even graduate on time, because the UC system is so overcrowded and they can't take the classes they need.

In FL, if you have an associates, you're guaranteed admission. Far more students went to a CC first rather than straight through.

Texas has this as well. I had a lot of friends who went to community college out of high school to "get their basics" and then go to UT or TAMU. Out of these dozens I know of one that has actually been successful (still running a year behind so not much money actually saved).

huh? that didnt sound like bragging at all. he even admitted he teaches at a lower tier school.

I believe my good friend Ph knows I'm teasing him for congratulating himself on his own academic pedigree.

Just because someone has different priorities or a different upbringing doesn't mean that their an asshole. We had our share of assholes at Wake and they spanned the socioeconomic spectrum.

Sure, but the d-bag per 1,000 rate is much higher, agree?

In my profession (medical device/ lab equipment sales), it isn't an advantage to come from an elite school. Many of the people that excel in this field come from State schools and most had to work their butt off to get any measure of success. Many assume that if you were handed everything on a silver platter (like the families that can afford Wake's tuition), that you don't know how to work and will not be able to succeed. Now, there a lot of stereotypes that may or may not be accurate, but that's how it often is perceived. I'm just as likely to get an interview (no, I'm not looking for and don't hope to any time soon) coming from ECU as I would from Wake.

Maybe ECU and WCU and App aren't the same caliber of school as Wake. If you've been working for a while in your career, it really doesn't matter. What you on the job is what matters. I know that when my daughter is ready for college in five years, I'm not likely to offer to pay for Wake's tuition. She's going to have to get a scholarship to go. And no, my parents didn't pay for my Wake tuition either, even though it was a much lower rate. I worked a full time job all the way through, worked crazy hours in the summers and took out student loans. I'll offer to pay some, but I don't believe that handing a student everything for free does them any favors with preparing them for adulthood.

I believe my good friend Ph knows I'm teasing him for congratulating himself on his own academic pedigree.

I was stating that I've experienced both sides, small privates and large publics.

I was stating that I've experienced both sides, small privates and large publics.

Yes, I read that. We all did. I am not sure you understand how it sounds to brag about going to Wake on a Wake board. Most of the people here had the experience of going to Wake Forest, too.

I'm paying for my kid to go to Wake no matter what because the campus is beautiful and the thought of my kid wanting to go to Wake and me saying "nah, its too much money" would make me feel like a terrible parent.

Yes, I read that. We all did. I am not sure you understand how it sounds to brag about going to Wake on a Wake board. Most of the people here had the experience of going to Wake Forest, too.

On a board where most everybody can brag, that was barely a brag.

In my profession (medical device/ lab equipment sales), it isn't an advantage to come from an elite school. Many of the people that excel in this field come from State schools and most had to work their butt off to get any measure of success. Many assume that if you were handed everything on a silver platter (like the families that can afford Wake's tuition), that you don't know how to work and will not be able to succeed. Now, there a lot of stereotypes that may or may not be accurate, but that's how it often is perceived. I'm just as likely to get an interview (no, I'm not looking for and don't hope to any time soon) coming from ECU as I would from Wake.

Maybe ECU and WCU and App aren't the same caliber of school as Wake. If you've been working for a while in your career, it really doesn't matter. What you on the job is what matters. I know that when my daughter is ready for college in five years, I'm not likely to offer to pay for Wake's tuition. She's going to have to get a scholarship to go. And no, my parents didn't pay for my Wake tuition either, even though it was a much lower rate. I worked a full time job all the way through, worked crazy hours in the summers and took out student loans. I'll offer to pay some, but I don't believe that handing a student everything for free does them any favors with preparing them for adulthood.

Going to an elite school matters to the profession you make a living off of selling equipment to though so it really just depends on what a person wants to do. Going to Wake was absolutely worth it for me because it prepared me for graduate school better than most of my peers in my class. The professors at Wake taught in a manner that fostered independent thought and linking ideas together. So when I began my Ph.D. I was prepared to think like a scientist instead of learning at that level like some very bright friends of mine that went to larger schools. Smart people can get a good education, at least as far as knowledge acquisition is concerned. at most schools and for a lot cheaper than Wake but for some profession education is more than just learning a bunch of facts that you can regurgitate later.

I think overall, students who go to state schools work harder than kids at privates. It's just that they're working harder at more things. It blew my mind as I learned how many of my students work full-time or at least 30 hrs/week and go to school full time or carry close to a full load. Many of my students take classes all day two days at week and work 3-5 days the rest of the week.

Here's a good example of how hard they work. I had a student who based on what I know from his life history and balding head is probably in his early 30s, maybe close to my age. He took my two Monday classes this past semester. 2:00-4:45 and 5:15-8:00. Now I thought I had a busy day teaching two classes back to back after typically having meetings from 10-2. He told me that on Monday mornings he got up at 2:30 am to get ready and drive to work to work from 4-10 am. From 10-2, he prepped for my classes, then was in class from 2-8. That's not unusual among state school students. And that doesn't even count all the ones who have their own families.

Yeah but there's still a stigma about going that route that doesn't exist o the the west coast. Except for judgmental east coasters like me.

In CA, you aren't guaranteed acceptance in the UC system after going to CC. I'm pretty sure you are guaranteed acceptance into the State University system. I think to get into the UC system you need a certain GPA.

For those outside of CA, that means you can get into Long Beach State, Cal State Fullerton, etc., but you need better grades to get into Berkley, UCLA, UCI or others.

In your line of work it is more important to be a hot chick than having a college degree from an elite college. Amirite?

On a board where most everybody can brag, that was barely a brag.

Sure, but don't expect me to stand idlely by while you imply that Dook has any redeeming qualities whatsoever, let alone those which would rise to the level of "elite."

I think overall, students who go to state schools work harder than kids at privates. It's just that they're working harder at more things. It blew my mind as I learned how many of my students work full-time or at least 30 hrs/week and go to school full time or carry close to a full load. Many of my students take classes all day two days at week and work 3-5 days the rest of the week.

Here's a good example of how hard they work. I had a student who based on what I know from his life history and balding head is probably in his early 30s, maybe close to my age. He took my two Monday classes this past semester. 2:00-4:45 and 5:15-8:00. Now I thought I had a busy day teaching two classes back to back after typically having meetings from 10-2. He told me that on Monday mornings he got up at 2:30 am to get ready and drive to work to work from 4-10 am. From 10-2, he prepped for my classes, then was in class from 2-8. That's not unusual among state school students. And that doesn't even count all the ones who have their own families.

My experience taking classes at ECU was similar. I felt lazy because all I did was take classes. A lot of the other kids I got to know (and maybe I gravitated to the older crowd because I was a bit older) were parents, in the service, or worked a lot to support themselves. Impressive if you ask me.

Back