• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Soccer:

That was a booking.

#4 had 3 bookable offenses
#3 has 2 bookable offenses
Their forward, not #10, but the other one had 2 bookable offenses.

Argudo should have been sent off for his repeated fouls and I know that's why coach yanked him earlier than normal.

The ref was an utter embarrassment. Lost all control of the match.

#8 for Stanford is a class CB tho

Thanks DV, agree about the refs. Was very frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice. I'm biased, but I thought they had started cheering for Wake Forest around the middle of the second half. It was clear that they showed up because there was soccer in their stadium and they wanted to sing some songs, but they were eventually trying to amp up the crowd anytime Wake had the ball.

Most people didn't really understand why they were there, and the songs are mostly in Spanish, so they were definitely getting some confused looks.

Was thinking it would have been pretty cool to connect with those bros ahead of time and hook them up with some Wake gear.

"Fast breaks" exist in soccer; go watch the video of the game winner from the match against Denver.

Yep, one play in time from about one soccer match. Point is you can't pass ahead to a teammate who happens to ahead of a defender before a pass is made. It is designed to keep somebody from "hanging back" So what, you have a goalie back there for gosh sakes, that is what he is designed to do--stop then damn ball. You have 11 on the field. When teams play 90 minutes of regulation without somebody scoring, that is bad enough, then you go on another 20 minutes, that makes it worse, but at least you are in sudden death. The only way then is to go to PK's. We had the lead in that 4-3 so we had a kick to win it. Kind of like having free throws to win a basketball game.

Part of the "skill" of soccer is that you have to be in exceptional physical condition, and able to play for close to 90 minutes at a time at peak level. Not as noticeable as having a good first touch or being able to free someone with a diagonal pass that not everyone can see but it's an important part of the game and part of why it goes to PK's after 90 min and two overtime periods.

BTW, shitty way for you guys to lose, but great season. I watched the Denver game and really enjoyed it. Can't believe that only 3 yellows were given for 40 fouls in the championship. That's absurd and you guys deserved better.

Thanks for the explanation.

My problem is why does the need for endurance justify PKs vs the need for every other skill justify adjusting the sub rules to keep playing?

I'm sure someone here knows, what's the percentages going to the different corners in PK's. I'm assuming going up top is less of a sure thing to get it on net, but the keeper has about zero chance for those in the upper corners.

DV7 that young guy Giggs looks pretty good. I think he'll be a good player. Wake should try to sign him.

Last edited:
Yep, one play in time from about one soccer match. Point is you can't pass ahead to a teammate who happens to ahead of a defender before a pass is made. It is designed to keep somebody from "hanging back" So what, you have a goalie back there for gosh sakes, that is what he is designed to do--stop then damn ball. You have 11 on the field. When teams play 90 minutes of regulation without somebody scoring, that is bad enough, then you go on another 20 minutes, that makes it worse, but at least you are in sudden death. The only way then is to go to PK's. We had the lead in that 4-3 so we had a kick to win it. Kind of like having free throws to win a basketball game.

YASSSS

The free throws analogy! I knew we'd get there.

Who had TheReff in the pool? You win the $487.92.

That was a booking.

#4 had 3 bookable offenses
#3 has 2 bookable offenses
Their forward, not #10, but the other one had 2 bookable offenses.

Argudo should have been sent off for his repeated fouls and I know that's why coach yanked him earlier than normal.

The ref was an utter embarrassment. Lost all control of the match.

#8 for Stanford is a class CB tho

#2? That guy was a douchebag.

I'm sure someone here knows, what's the percentages going to the different corners in PK's. I'm assuming going up top is less of a sure thing to get it on net, but the keeper has about zero chance for those in the upper corners.

It is easy to sky the ball when going for the upper corner. When you strike for a lower corner all your body is staying low on the ball so keeping it down. When you go upper corner you lift up everything so the ball can rise... that can look really sexy or the ball can sky on you if you go up too much.

Plus, harder for GKs to get down to corners than up to corners on penalty kicks. You can propel yourself up by gravity is what makes you go down while also springing outward. If that makes sense.

#2? That guy was a douchebag.

Wasn't thinking of him but yeah, that guy was a cunt too. He had a couple bad fouls.

The foul that got me the post pissed off was #4 just lowering his shoulder and using the truck stick towards the end of the 2nd half. How that wasn't a booking, I'll never know. The play-by-play guy asked if it was a red -- which it wasn't -- but it was so clear that the guy had no interest in playing the ball and was targeting the opponent. Complete shambles from the referee.

Except not, because with free throws no one is trying to prevent you from getting the ball in the hoop

Free throws and PK's do have about the same average conversion percentage, to be fair.

Plus a free throw counts for 1 point out of typically 70+ points. In soccer a PK counts for potentially 100% of the scoring in a 1-0 match.

In ancient soccer times did penalty kicks used to be converted at far lower percentages? It feels like the NBA just keeping the original college 3 point line or golf courses still playing 5,800 yards. Do any leagues move a PK so it's more of a 50/50 chance? Glancing at stats there are good strikers making 90%+ of their PK's. Just seems insanely out of balance.

When I dump cheese whiz on my head, there's no hair to catch it!

Wasn't thinking of him but yeah, that guy was a cunt too. He had a couple bad fouls.

The foul that got me the post pissed off was #4 just lowering his shoulder and using the truck stick towards the end of the 2nd half. How that wasn't a booking, I'll never know. The play-by-play guy asked if it was a red -- which it wasn't -- but it was so clear that the guy had no interest in playing the ball and was targeting the opponent. Complete shambles from the referee.

If that was the one where 4 ran into dunwell, I totally think that should have been a red card.

Free throws and PK's do have about the same average conversion percentage, to be fair.

Plus a free throw counts for 1 point out of typically 70+ points. In soccer a PK counts for potentially 100% of the scoring in a 1-0 match.

In ancient soccer times did penalty kicks used to be converted at far lower percentages? It feels like the NBA just keeping the original college 3 point line or golf courses still playing 5,800 yards. Do any leagues move a PK so it's more of a 50/50 chance? Glancing at stats there are good strikers making 90%+ of their PK's. Just seems insanely out of balance.

PKs didn't exist to end the game in "ancient soccer times". According to Wiki they started in 70s.

Back