• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Soccer:

On this note, does Jack Harrison stay?

I assume he will be gone to the pros. Somewhat of a surprise that he spent a year in american college soccer in the first place. We have good recruits coming in and return most of the team but will miss Gamble and Harrison.

The past few games I thought we were very fortunate to win (obvi save for ND). Last night, however, I thought we played well enough to win....especially in the 2nd half. As with several of the last few games, once again we seemed smaller and less physical than our opponent.

We are so fortunate to have such a great program that is so entwined with the local community. We put a great product out there year after year, we have an amazing facility and I'm sure it's the envy of many top universities. It's a shame some here will always be smug whiners when the season comes to an end.

This season was awesome and important for the future. I think most knew coach Muuss could recruit, but the past few months he was able to show that he can also really coach, taking an unranked team in the preseason to #1 in the country. The crowds were also fantastic this year, and there was a great connection between the team and fans. I see that connection continuing, and given everything Wake now has in place (coach, facilities, crowd support) we may have the best program in the country.

This is a great post. Jay was solid at community relations for sure. Bobby (I've heard anyway - not 100% certain but it would be a random rumor to start) forked his own money out to rent the turf field for Twin City Soccer to use for practices prior to the ND game. Twins held one of its many tailgates after practice, kids went to the game ... good will abounds.

Just good people to root for, good folks in the stands, good product on the field - it's really fun to see.

The past few games I thought we were very fortunate to win (obvi save for ND). Last night, however, I thought we played well enough to win....especially in the 2nd half. As with several of the last few games, once again we seemed smaller and less physical than our opponent.

We are so fortunate to have such a great program that is so entwined with the local community. We put a great product out there year after year, we have an amazing facility and I'm sure it's the envy of many top universities. It's a shame some here will always be smug whiners when the season comes to an end.

Last edited:
As an ardent Deacon Fan (and two-time graduate) and a parent of a Sophomore at Stanford, I was very disappointed in the loss - but I have been disappointed by Deacon teams of all varieties since I became a fan at age 16. What I was also disappointed in was the W FU cheer heard prior to and throughout the game. One of the Stanford parents whom I met before the game was very surprised by the cheer. I had heard it before, but was uncomfortable hearing - probably more so because my daughter attends Stanford. Those same Stanford fans were very complimentary of our stadium and the obvious support of WF Soccer, so it was unfortunate that a less than sportsmanlike cheer was prevalent.

In any event, I look forward to more great WF Soccer to come.

As an ardent Deacon Fan (and two-time graduate) and a parent of a Sophomore at Stanford, I was very disappointed in the loss - but I have been disappointed by Deacon teams of all varieties since I became a fan at age 16. What I was also disappointed in was the W FU cheer heard prior to and throughout the game. One of the Stanford parents whom I met before the game was very surprised by the cheer. I had heard it before, but was uncomfortable hearing - probably more so because my daughter attends Stanford. Those same Stanford fans were very complimentary of our stadium and the obvious support of WF Soccer, so it was unfortunate that a less than sportsmanlike cheer was prevalent.

Stanford parents don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to decorum at sporting events, having sent their kids to a school that won't allow its own band to travel to away football games. And kids and other fans have been chanting "BULL-SHIT" at refs for decades, along with even more pointed cheers. Is it tasteless ? Sure it is, but come on.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...probe-found-sexual-hazing-illegal-substances/

What did the Stanford fans think about Jordan Morris and half the team running over to the Wake fans on the hill after scoring the first goal of the game and taunting the crowd? I watched every game this year in Spry and that was the first team to do anything like that. I thought it was kind of fun because it fired up the crowd even more, but from how you describe them, the Stanford fans must have been appalled. You can see a little of it in this video, though it went on for much longer than the video shows http://pac-12.com/videos/highlights-stanford-mens-soccer-advances-college-cup

Helen-Lovejoy.gif

Stanford parents don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to decorum at sporting events, having sent their kids to a school that won't allow its own band to travel to away football games. And kids and other fans have been chanting "BULL-SHIT" at refs for decades, along with even more pointed cheers. Is it tasteless ? Sure it is, but come on.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...probe-found-sexual-hazing-illegal-substances/

Went to the Fiesta Bowl game a few years back where Stanford played Ok St. When Stanford lost in OT, their band would not stop playing through the winning celebration. Started playing even louder during OSU's celebratory alma mater. It was hilarious watching the fat yokel Ok St. fans getting all pissed off over it.

http://www.orangepower.com/threads/i-want-to-fight-the-entire-stanford-band.137120/

You should write a letter to WSJ.

If you can't go to college, go to Stanford.

Back