• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What are the real financial terms and consequences of letting Bz go after this year

Are there a shortage of people who would direct an athletic department for $100,000 a year?

Are there a shortage of people who would direct an athletic department for $100,000 a year?

Do we have anyone directing our athletic program now.... Just collecting checks. Just like the head coaches of our major sports.

I think something people constantly ignore is the financial consequences of keeping him.

1.) He still gets paid.
2.) Attendance at games is at what HAS to be an all-time low, or at LEAST in recent memory. This will not change until we start winning. Yes, people were there at the State game, but I'm doubting prices reached what they would have prior to 2010.
3.) An extension would effectively end attendance from fans who hate him and simply show up to support the Deacs while they can still tolerate it.

I don't know how the numbers work, but I can't see how firing him would hurt the budget in the long term.

I think something people constantly ignore is the financial consequences of keeping him.

1.) He still gets paid.
2.) Attendance at games is at what HAS to be an all-time low, or at LEAST in recent memory. This will not change until we start winning. Yes, people were there at the State game, but I'm doubting prices reached what they would have prior to 2010.
3.) An extension would effectively end attendance from fans who hate him and simply show up to support the Deacs while they can still tolerate it.

I don't know how the numbers work, but I can't see how firing him would hurt the budget in the long term.

I wasnt there, so I dont know....But would imagine that a fair bit of the crowd was probably State fans. I agree that if Bzzz stays after this year tickets and/or ticket prices will plummet. He's gotta go, just gotta go.

I wasnt there, so I dont know....But would imagine that a fair bit of the crowd was probably State fans. I agree that if Bzzz stays after this year tickets and/or ticket prices will plummet. He's gotta go, just gotta go.

As if they haven't plummeted already...

I saw a lot of gold and black in the stands, and students came out for it (as they always do for tobacco road opponents), but students don't give the AD money, and other than that it wasn't great. Terrible compared to the good ol' days.

I saw a lot of gold and black in the stands, and students came out for it (as they always do for tobacco road opponents), but students don't give the AD money, and other than that it wasn't great. Terrible compared to the good ol' days.

its getting harder and harder to remember the good ole days now.

Sorry to move off Bz but Lon Kruger makes $2.2 MM per at Oklahoma? He sure has bounced around.

We're paying [Redacted] significantly more than coaches at our rivals. He's still a great deal for Wake. We can't afford to spend much more. The idea that we're going to win the ACC or get to the Final Four is a pipedream.

Sorry to move off Bz but Lon Kruger makes $2.2 MM per at Oklahoma? He sure has bounced around.

Yeah, it does seem like a lot, but he has them at 13 5 ( 4 2), and that wasn't a good situation at all.

Lower arena was full. The endzone at the Wake bench end was very red. Very few fans in the upper arena, but many were State fans. Still a pitiful crowd (numbers wise, we made some noise at least)

I was listening to XM just 15 minutes ago and they just said that football is 85% of the money and basketball is 15%. EVERYBODY is a football school now.

I heard Dino yesterday on the Freddy Coleman radio show on ESPN. I know he was not the answer for the future of Wake Forest basketball. We needed somebody new. But he had such enthusiasm in his voice, and he sounded quite competent in his analysis of various basketball teams & subjects, and ... I missed him.

I was listening to XM just 15 minutes ago and they just said that football is 85% of the money and basketball is 15%. EVERYBODY is a football school now.

I heard the Duke AD say this in the radio recently. Basically, basketball revenue means practically nothing to any school at this time. Revenue isn't going to get [Redacted] canned.

I heard Dino yesterday on the Freddy Coleman radio show on ESPN. I know he was not the answer for the future of Wake Forest basketball. We needed somebody new. But he had such enthusiasm in his voice, and he sounded quite competent in his analysis of various basketball teams & subjects, and ... I missed him.

Hindsight is 20/20...Dino wasn't the long term answer, but at the same time, Wellman hosed him.

This is exactly why we must keep Grobe. We may care more about basketball, but staying competitive in football keeps the lights on. Plus, it has been nice not to completely suck at football like we did pre-Grobe.

It doesn't matter if we're good, bad, or mediocre, Wake gets the same football TV money. In fact, Wake being good at football probably is a bad thing for the ACC.

I think it's a question of how to best drive incremental revenues from fans as well as create as much [positive] attention as possible for the greater university. I am of the opinion that can be better done through basketball than football, but I understand why people disagree. My opinion would likely be different if I had more faith in Grobe's ability to get us out of mediocrity.

The unfortunate fact is that no small university has ever risen above mediocrity in football. Having a competitive football team does, however, give credibility to our athletic department as a whole. I'm just afraid that football, as far as national relevance, is a lost cause. Basketball on the other hand, is a sport where we can compete for national titles if we get our act together.

Great information! Thanks. It looks like we can easily swing a mid-range income hire, but I think that for Shaka to even sniff our job, it would take 2Mil per, and that looks like it might be a bit of a stretch once all of our other expenses are accounted for.

Shaka ain't coming here. He turned down NC State last year where he has at least a decent chance to win. here he has no chance with our academics and AD ruling the roost. Going to take far more than money to get a good coach in bball at Wake.

The unfortunate fact is that no small university has ever risen above mediocrity in football. Having a competitive football team does, however, give credibility to our athletic department as a whole. I'm just afraid that football, as far as national relevance, is a lost cause. Basketball on the other hand, is a sport where we can compete for national titles if we get our act together.

I agree with the football portion of your post but I'm sorry sir, the basketball part is incorrect. Wake isn't a national power, we're a regional presence but athletically and academically.

Stanford has 6800 undergrad students; Northwestern has 8400; Vanderbilt has 6800. Now Wake only has 5,000, but it is still very much in the same category size wise.

Hell, one would be hard pressed to call Wake mediocre from 2006-2008 yet we were significantly smaller then than we are now.

That said, I agree with your overarching point that success will be much easier for us to attain in basketball than in football, but I don't think success in football at Wake is impossible. I do think success in basketball will make it easier to reattain success in football.

Back