• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What are the real financial terms and consequences of letting Bz go after this year

Stanford has 6800 undergrad students; Northwestern has 8400; Vanderbilt has 6800. Now Wake only has 5,000, but it is still very much in the same category size wise.

Hell, one would be hard pressed to call Wake mediocre from 2006-2008 yet we were significantly smaller then than we are now.

That said, I agree with your overarching point that success will be much easier for us to attain in basketball than in football, but I don't think success in football at Wake is impossible. I do think success in basketball will make it easier to reattain success in football.

Vanderbilt and Northwestern have both been worse than Wake has ever been. It ebbs and flows, but they are much like Wake in that they have some good periods, but never great. Stanford is close to being the exception, I will grant you.

Stanford has 6800 undergrad students; Northwestern has 8400; Vanderbilt has 6800. Now Wake only has 5,000, but it is still very much in the same category size wise.

Hell, one would be hard pressed to call Wake mediocre from 2006-2008 yet we were significantly smaller then than we are now.

That said, I agree with your overarching point that success will be much easier for us to attain in basketball than in football, but I don't think success in football at Wake is impossible. I do think success in basketball will make it easier to reattain success in football.

You can't compare Wake to Stanford, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Duke, Notre Dame, etc. Those are academically elite universities with national appeal. Just look at the schools in North Carolina. I'd rank Wake behind Duke, UNC, Davidson and NCSU but on par with Elon, UNCG, UNCC, Campbell, etc. Those are the real measuring sticks and we've been outperforming them.

You can't compare Wake to Stanford, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Duke, Notre Dame, etc. Those are academically elite universities with national appeal. Just look at the schools in North Carolina. I'd rank Wake behind Duke, UNC, Davidson and NCSU but on par with Elon, UNCG, UNCC, Campbell, etc. Those are the real measuring sticks and we've been outperforming them.

If you are a longtime poster who decided to get a new parody account then you are doing a shitty job of trolling. It is way too obvious in that I have noticed it already and you've only been posting for a few days.

I guess the better way of saying it is that a small school has never consistently risen above mediocrity in football.

Wake ranked behind Moo U and Cheater Hill academically?! Ha ha ha- good one.

I heard the Duke AD say this in the radio recently. Basically, basketball revenue means practically nothing to any school at this time. Revenue isn't going to get [Redacted] canned.

Which is why ticket prices aren't going to go down much.

This is exactly why we must keep Grobe. We may care more about basketball, but staying competitive in football keeps the lights on. Plus, it has been nice not to completely suck at football like we did pre-Grobe.

last year was getting closer to old times

Yep, in my perfect world, Grobe would be fired and we would put more money into the basketball program. I've come to accept mediocrity in football, and that's okay with me. Maybe a 9-3 season here and there, but for the most part, we're too small of a school to compete consistently in football. Now, in basketball, we have the potential to be an elite program, so I say heck with it, fire Grobe and pay Shaka or any young and upcoming coach more $.

love grobe, but am okay with just not being a cellar dweller in exchange for round ball supremacy. we always have been, and always will be a basketball schoole when it comes to the two

If you are a longtime poster who decided to get a new parody account then you are doing a shitty job of trolling. It is way too obvious in that I have noticed it already and you've only been posting for a few days.

Good others are noticing this POS!

I guess the better way of saying it is that a small school has never consistently risen above mediocrity in football.

Well that's fair, although I too would agree Stanford is getting there.

Back