• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What are your thoughts about this quote about American foreign policy?

Greed, for lack of a better term, is good.

:trance1:

ETA: You can't come up with a better descriptive word than good? Seriously? Bester duh.

Last edited:
How do you predate yourself? Unless you're saying the post WWII US is the demarcation line for the republic.

I don't understand your post.

If you don't understand mine, read Skins' and my previous posts. I was clearly responding to what he had said.

And someone had to go be a spoiler.

What are your thoughts about the quote?

If you take him literally and assume he actually means he thinks that American's foreign policy leaders (as a whole) think that the US is some pre-ordained country chosen by God and we're missionaries trying to "spread God's word of what a country should be like", then I think it's exceptionally ridiculous.
If you take the comment as him being satirical and a little tongue and cheek, then I actually think it's a pretty funny comment, but obviously is only a twisted version of reality.

America's original sense of mission was established by the Puritan settlers; namely that they would establish the Godly community, which would set a good example for all of Christendom, but especially England, and inspire others to follow the good example set by the Puritans. This essentially religious myth has gradually become secularized over the centuries - not that the religious roots have been entirely forgotten - and the modern secular myth of the American mission has become spreading freedom, individual rights, democracy and free markets, and not necessarily just by example.

America has a sense of mission, that is one of our myths, as our Russian friend noticed and tried somewhat ham-fistedly to translate into a polemic that blends well with Russian preconceptions about themselves, or Russia myths, if you will. Please note: the USSR had their own messianic myths, just as traditional Russian culture, as well as modern Russia have their own - perhaps even messianic - myths.

Our foreign policy, however, is, like I said, dominated by the four p's: power, peace, prosperity and principles.

Last edited:
America's original sense of mission was established by the Puritan settlers; namely that they would establish the Godly community, which would set a good example for all of Christendom, but especially England, and inspire others to follow the good example set by the Puritans. This essentially religious myth has gradually become secularized over the centuries - not that the religious roots have been entirely forgotten - and the modern secular myth of the American mission has become spreading freedom, individual rights, democracy and free markets, and not necessarily just by example.

America has a sense of mission, that is one of our myths, as our Russian friend noticed and tried somewhat ham-fistedly to translate into a polemic that blends well with Russian preconceptions about themselves, or Russia myths, if you will. Please note: the USSR had their own messianic myths, just as traditional Russian culture, as well as modern Russia have their own - perhaps even messianic - myths.

Our foreign policy, however, is, like I said, dominated by the four p's: power, peace, prosperity and principles.

You've lost me now. The Puritans at Plymouth Rock were setting an example for Christianity? It took them two and a half months just to get here. They couldn't tweet back to England, all good lol come on over, had to kill some peeps but the coast is clear. At least the initial settlement in Jamestown made an attempt at peace and principles before they started to impose power and prosperity.

You've lost me now. The Puritans at Plymouth Rock were setting an example for Christianity? It took them two and a half months just to get here. They couldn't tweet back to England, all good lol come on over, had to kill some peeps but the coast is clear. At least the initial settlement in Jamestown made an attempt at peace and principles before they started to impose power and prosperity.

You are just plain lost. For starters you are confusing the Pilgrims with the Puritans. They are not the same. And you go downhill from there.

I think you have a lot of reading to do.

You are just plain lost. For starters you are confusing the Pilgrims with the Puritans. They are not the same. And you go downhill from there.

I think you have a lot of reading to do.

"In other words, the Pilgrims who settled Plymouth were puritans seeking to reform their church, and
the Puritans who settled Massachusetts Bay were pilgrims (with that lower-case "p") who moved to a
whole new land."

http://www.pilgrimhallmuseum.org/pdf/Pilgrim_Puritan_A_Delicate_Distinction.pdf

lower case p...I'm an idiot.

"In other words, the Pilgrims who settled Plymouth were puritans seeking to reform their church, and
the Puritans who settled Massachusetts Bay were pilgrims (with that lower-case "p") who moved to a
whole new land."

http://www.pilgrimhallmuseum.org/pdf/Pilgrim_Puritan_A_Delicate_Distinction.pdf

lower case p...I'm an idiot.

You need to stop. Each of your posts is even more confused than the previous one. That entire quote is pure confusion and nonsense. You may not be an idiot but on this subject you are near exhausting the meaning of the word ignorance.

Those called the Pilgrims settled at Plymouth and those referred to as the Puritans settled at what is now Boston. The former constituted a sect, which separated itself entirely from the English church. The later refused formally to break with the Anglican church because they wanted to reform it - from the bottom up. And they reasoned that they could not reform it, if they formally left it. Consequently, the desire of the Puritans to build the Godly community, which would serve as an example to England and Christendom as a whole. This is the source of one of our most abiding myths, which I alluded to before, and which has exerted an influence on - among other things - American foreign policy, albeit in a secularized and modern form.

Our foreign policy in the Middle East has been dominated by the two o's: Oil profits & Obedience to Israel.

rabbi-hand-2.jpg

You need to stop. Each of your posts is even more confused than the previous one. That entire quote is pure confusion and nonsense. You may not be an idiot but on this subject you are near exhausting the meaning of the word ignorance.

Those called the Pilgrims settled at Plymouth and those referred to as the Puritans settled at what is now Boston. The former constituted a sect, which separated itself entirely from the English church. The later refused formally to break with the Anglican church because they wanted to reform it - from the bottom up. And they reasoned that they could not reform it, if they formally left it. Consequently, the desire of the Puritans to build the Godly community, which would serve as an example to England and Christendom as a whole. This is the source of one of our most abiding myths, which I alluded to before, and which has exerted an influence on - among other things - American foreign policy, albeit in a secularized and modern form.

I was just quoting a link man, you win.

stepping up and taking the L. honorable work. we should all learn from this

Back