• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What Could Have Been ...

MrBojangles

Reaction score
If he had made the better decision and come to Wake and pulled a Tim Duncan and stayed 4 years (all real pipe dreams) ... Harry Giles could have had his senior day today with Brandon.

Had Harry stayed, he may have been able to talk Jaylen Hoard to stay an additional year, as well.

Starting lineup of:

Brandon Childress
Chaundee Brown
Jaylen Hoard
Harry Giles
Olivier Sarr

That team would have been ranked in the top 10 most of the season, and likely would have been in the top 3 in the country and tops in the ACC, even with our coaching situation. The way Chaundee and Sarr are playing now, and with the expected amount of improvement from the other two as compared to their freshman years ...

I still believe that Manning was hired in part because he gave us the best chance to convince Giles to come to Wake instead of Duke. That one decision could have turned the program around ...

But since it never happened that way, I think it's time to cut our losses and try to find a better fit for our head coach.

While you are at it, why not put Azubuike and Dotson on the team as they both had Wake on their lists late.

Two weeks ago half of the boards thought Chaundee and Childress sucked

Since we’re on the subject....

What could have been in 2006-2010 had we convinced Oden, Conley and Cook to come here and stay four years

If only we had built a smaller on campus arena . . .

Pretty sure Manning would have our worst FT shooter in at the end of the Duke game when we're trying to run out the clock and Duke is in an obvious foul situation. And the team passes to said player.

Well that would actually help. Having a home court advantage does in fact matter.
When we've had good teams, the Joel's home court advantage has been among the best in the ACC. There's a certain lawyer in Greensboro who ignores all of the objective evidence that demonstrates this and starts talking about how much money he has made whenever it's brought up.

The two ultimate "what could have been" in Wake basketball history happened in the 60s. The first was when Bones McKinney recruited a skinny kid from NYC named Lew, who chose to go west in stead of south. The other was the Wake version of the Rochester Royals trading the rights to draft Bill Russell for two weeks of the Ice Capades. All our AD had to do was abstain saying,"this vote directly impacts our school". But NOOOOOO, he voted against loosening rules JUCO players entering the ACC. Had he abstained or voted to allow JUCOs more latitude. we would have gotten Artis Gilmore. It was a done deal.

A team with Artis, Charlie Davis and Gil McGregor would have been able to challenge for a national championship and set Wake basketball up for years to come. Wake fucked Wake.

When we've had good teams, the Joel's home court advantage has been among the best in the ACC. There's a certain lawyer in Greensboro who ignores all of the objective evidence that demonstrates this and starts talking about how much money he has made whenever it's brought up.

I’ve been to the Joel when we were No. 1 in the country and got beat easily by VaTech in front of a quiet crowd. If a sellout was reported, it wasn’t based on people in seats. When Duke or UNC is in town, and Wake is good, yes the Joel is rocking. That’s at most two games a year. And when you add that we have to be good, it’s more like 2 games a decade.

Maybe we should have 1500 seat arena and take tickets away if they don't scream enough.

I’ve been to the Joel when we were No. 1 in the country and got beat easily by VaTech in front of a quiet crowd. If a sellout was reported, it wasn’t based on people in seats. When Duke or UNC is in town, and Wake is good, yes the Joel is rocking. That’s at most two games a year. And when you add that we have to be good, it’s more like 2 games a decade.
The announced attendance at that game was 14100 so if the crowd was quiet it wasn't because there was nobody there. Wake fans in general sometimes have a wine-and-cheese complacency problem I don't know the size of the Arena would change that. I am fine with decreasing the capacity of the Joel and I think it would probably be a good decision but I don't really think it would have much of a material impact on our win loss record.

Nate L. for ND and Devoe for Ga Tech are the not true “what could’ve been” players. Those guys were seemingly down us us and the school they chose. Nate and Devoe would have made tremendous differences for us. More so than a gimpy Harry Giles.

Anyways, I wonder who has the best “what could’ve been” team.

Harry Giles is a pretty good starter in the NBA, right now. He’s almost certainly going to get overpaid this summer. I would say that he made the right call.

The two ultimate "what could have been" in Wake basketball history happened in the 60s. The first was when Bones McKinney recruited a skinny kid from NYC named Lew, who chose to go west in stead of south. The other was the Wake version of the Rochester Royals trading the rights to draft Bill Russell for two weeks of the Ice Capades. All our AD had to do was abstain saying,"this vote directly impacts our school". But NOOOOOO, he voted against loosening rules JUCO players entering the ACC. Had he abstained or voted to allow JUCOs more latitude. we would have gotten Artis Gilmore. It was a done deal.

A team with Artis, Charlie Davis and Gil McGregor would have been able to challenge for a national championship and set Wake basketball up for years to come. Wake fucked Wake.

This. I remember my father drove me out to Smith Reynolds airport to "welcome" 'Lew'. High school teammate with then Deac Norwood Todmann from Power Memorial HS in NYC. I was excited because my Dad was excited. The plane came, no Lew. The several dozen folks there to welcome him left. A day or two later he announced for UCLA. Even the special bed they had made for him in Kitchen dorm was ready. Sadly, it went on to used by such as Danny Moses. Ah, what could have been. Did any one mention Geoff Petrie? He was pretty much a done deal to Wake but decided to stay home and play for Princeton once his mother became ill. He went on to have a good career as a player and GM for the Trailblazers. What might have been.

....if only ron wellman wasn't such a dumbass and hired real coaches. Some of those players mentioned may have actually chose WF. if only.....

Wake: Always the bridesmaid.
But gets fu*ked just the same. :/

Back