• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What do you consider expensive for car insurance?

ImTheCaptain

I disagree with you
Reaction score
Just wondering what the public perception is.

Ok, expensive assuming a clean record.

Include state/metro where you live.

Last edited:
I just signed up for a new policy on my fleet of 3 vehicles and was pretty pleased with my quote of 1300/yr for the highest coverage limits and collision on two of the cars. I'm only 23 but have a perfect driving record and excellent credit. This is for the triad area. I'm always shocked at the people paying like 1200/yr for one vehicle with crappy coverage limits.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

i paid something like $900/year for one car (civic) in charlotte, until i bought a house. i can't remember now what the auto part of my insurance is, but it obviously went down because i had multiple products from the same provider.

this is with one ticket on my record, but no accidents.

I paid over a bit $1550 in LA and I though it was rideaculous. And that's with a perfect record (24) and long-time policy holder discount. Got over the minimum coverage limits, but not too much over.

It also depends on what type of car you have and how new/old it is.

I pay around $900 a year in GA with only 2 speeding tickets on my record and driving a 4 year old Camry

Disclaimer: I work in personal lines insurance (home, auto, life, etc) so I know what impacts rates. I'm just wondering what people think is expensive/normal/cheap b/c it seems like people have wild expectations.

Disclaimer: I work in personal lines insurance (home, auto, life, etc) so I know what impacts rates. I'm just wondering what people think is expensive/normal/cheap b/c it seems like people have wild expectations.

Ok, then. Why the hell do you clowns charge me so much?

I pay $413 per 6 months for what I consider high coverage.

Based on my experiences, I'd start calling it "expensive" around $600 per 6 months.

I pay about $1150 a year for 1 car in ATL. Im 33. It's an X5 but I feel like that is expensive. (That's also discounted since I bundle my home policy with the same insurer)

I pay $1,100 annually for 2 cars (2007 Sequoia and '98 Camry). Pretty clean records and $1,000 deductible. Live in ATL, 36 years old.

Definitely depends on what state you live in. North Carolina is in the bottom 5 of average car insurance cost, but if you have points and accidents it can sky rocket.

Plus, besides driving record, rates are credit scored with pricing models.

If you have a renters policy, it will save you 10% on your car & a regular home will save you 15% in multi-line discounts.

Tell us some interesting shit about car insurance. Like what car types and states have cheap/expensive rates. What level of coverage do you recommend to the average Joe? Are Geico rates twice as high as everyone else's so they can pay their marketing bills?

Back