• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What do your kids call your parents or what do you call your grandparents

names of grandparents

• Grandma/Grandpa

Votes: 41 51.9%
  • Grandmama/Granddaddy

Votes: 12 15.2%
  • Nana/Papa

Votes: 16 20.3%
  • Some combination of the above (also select those options)

Votes: 22 27.8%
  • Other

Votes: 35 44.3%
  • Doofus and Numbers

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Grandmother/Grandfather

Votes: 4 5.1%

• Total voters

ChicdeaC

Reaction score
an email to my mom this morning has me curious as to how many people stick to the norm and how many are outside it.

let me know in comments if there's a story behind the nickname

One set of E's grandparents are Nana and Grandpa, one set Grandmama and Granddaddy and one is Grand (my mom). Of course once he starts talking that may change

I always called my dad's parents Grandmama and Granddaddy (hence my Dad and his wife getting these monikers) and Matt's family used Nana and Grandpa (hence the IL's) and I call my mom's parents Grand Mother and Grandpa (so they became Great-)

My family also doesn't use Mommy (hate this for some reason, makes me cringe when someone refers to me as his mommy) or Grandmommy

Out of the 8 great-grand & grandparents that I was alive to meet only two of them were called anything with grandma/pa in it. My great grandparents were Nana & Poppy and my grandparents are Memom & Bebop.

Both my Grandmothers were just "Grandma" to me and my dad's dad was "Granddad" (mom's dad was never alive while I was). I think I called him "Granddaddy" when I was younger some, but never called anyone "Grandmommy."

My cousins called (and still sometimes call) my dad's parents "Mimi" and "Ddaddy," but my brothers and I never really took to that.

Neither my parents or my in-laws have any grandkids yet, so we're not sure what they will be called. My mom likes "Gram Gram" because of when Steve Martin talks about his Gram Gram in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. Otherwise, we've got nuthin.

My best friend's grandma growing up was "Grammy" (we called her that too). One of my friends' moms is "Mocha" to her grandkids, and her mother-in-law is "Mudders" (she's British).

My mom is Nan-nan and my dad Paw-paw
In-laws are Meema (?) and Grandpa

my dad's parents died when i was really young (2), so i think their names were SUPPOSED to be just grandmom and granddad, but honestly, since i never knew them, when talking about them now, i just feel weird using terms that are kind of terms of endearment. so i generally just reference them by saying "dad's mom" or "dad's dad."

my mom's parents were mawmaw and pawpaw.

Grandma/Grandpa on one side, Grandmother/Granddaddy on the other.

My mom would either be Grandmother or Grandma, dad would be Grandpa (my parents don't have grandkids). My would-be in laws are Grandma Betty/Granddaddy Greg (they already have grandkids).

Both of my grandmothers were maw-maw __ and then we differentiated by one being called by her last name and one by an abbreviated first name. My grandfathers were paw-paw "last name" and then my great grandfather was paw-paw "last name" too. My cousins and I call my grandparents the same thing, so it is generic all the way around.

The fiance calls his Granny "First Letter of the First Name".

Nana/PopPop = my parents
Grandmommy/Grandaddy = HeavyPetter Parents
GG/GreatGrandaddy = Great Grand Parents on HeavyP's side.

Grandma/Poppop and Nanny/Pappy

And I have no idea why we started using these names. I'm going to ask my parents because now I'm curious. Was it natural? Were we introduced to them as those names? Did they introduce themselves to us by those names?

Out of the 8 great-grand & grandparents that I was alive to meet only two of them were called anything with grandma/pa in it. My great grandparents were Nana & Poppy and my grandparents are Memom & Bebop.

you should call her rocksteady.

Moms parents: grandma/daddy
Dads dad: grandpa
Dads mom/husband: grandma and jack (yeah, his name was jack)

my great grandmother was 'gang-gang' and her husband 'pop pop' because my uncle couldn't say grandma and grandpa.

And I have no idea why we started using these names. I'm going to ask my parents because now I'm curious. Was it natural? Were we introduced to them as those names? Did they introduce themselves to us by those names?

I don't know how my grandparents came by their monikers (Mom's parents were Nana & Poppy, Dad's parents were Grandma & Grandpa), but when my siblings began having kids, my parents chose what they wanted to be called. They chose Nana & Grandpa.

Funny story, my mom got remarried after a divorce about 7 years ago. The person she has remarried to is very particular about, well, everything and he is kind of an intellectual snob...

Long story short, he wants my son (16 month old) to call him "Grandfather Bellis (His last name)" and my son has chosen instead "Pee-Paw" which aggravates him and, as I'm guessing you figured out, gives me great pleasure. Often when he is not around if my son sees a photo of him and says "Pee-Paw" I provide strong positive reinforcement.

My son actually named his grandparents.

My parents wanted Nanny & Poppy - my son calls my dad Poppy, but he calls my mom Ning.

On my wifes side, they were Grandma and Grandpa, but somehow in that little 2 year old brain that turned into Mimi and Bubba - not sure how.

My niece calls the grandmother she spends most of her time with (my mother) Baba. My niece came up with this name on her own, but it is Slavic for grandmother and my mother is 1st generation American with Slovakian roots.

I call my grandmother granny and my grandfather papa.

My kids call my parents papa and mimi as my mother refuses to acknowledge she is grandma my wife's rents pawpaw and grandma.

my grandmother is also granny to the kids.

Back