• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"What Happened to Darius Miles" - very cool Players Tribune essay

myDeaconmyhand

First man to get a team of horses up Bear Mountain
Reaction score
Obviously not Wake related, but a very cool "inside baseball" story about early 2000's NBA culture
https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/what-the-hell-happened-to-darius-miles

'Dudes like me ain’t supposed to talk about this type of stuff. I’m about to tell you some real shit. Things I haven’t told anybody. But first, we gotta go back in time. We gotta go back to when the NBA was still the NBA. Way back when I had the pager with the two-way alert.
I’m about to tell you the most Y2K story ever.
I’m about to tell you how I almost died at Alonzo Mourning’s crib in the year 2000 on some dumb shit..."

"What happened to Darius Songaila?" is what the people should be asking

look forward to reading

still a HOF celebration

giphy-1.gif

His acting career never really took off after The Perfect Score.

yeah, that was great, got me emotional at the end

really dig what the Player's Tribune has going, need to check it out more frequently

"Now, you might not know this about me, but I can really swim. I’m like the black Michael Phelps. That’s no problem. But the thing about me is, I don’t do ocean water. Too murky, man. If I can’t see underneath me, I’m out. "

That was a great article. I wish more athletes or people in prominent social positions talked about their various struggles with mental health. It is thankfully becoming a little more normative now

Last edited:
I am not going to read it. I just have twp questions. Did he bank his money? Or spend it all?

And what did the two taps to the head mean?

Last edited:
yeah, that was great, got me emotional at the end

really dig what the Player's Tribune has going, need to check it out more frequently

Same. Every one I read is really good. The Julius Thomas one from a few months ago was excellent.

The part I really found interesting in this one is where Miles said:

“That was the old NBA. That was before they wised up.

That don’t exist anymore.”

Was he talking about instituting one and done, changes to rookie orientation, both or something else?

I lived in LA when QRich and Miles were drafted. I was hoping he'd develop into a Shawn Kemp like player. Didn't happen. QRich was always sort of a junk player. Think Dennis Scott without the sweet stroke.

I loved watching those Clippers because they were fun to watch, but also Bill Walton called all Clippers games and you think he was nuts on national games, he was on shrooms doing Clippers games.

you should read it, jaybone, covers a lot of what you're talking about, even talks about him meeting Kemp

“That was the old NBA. That was before they wised up.

That don’t exist anymore.”

Was he talking about instituting one and done, changes to rookie orientation, both or something else?

I think he's talking about how the NBA got more professional, instituted the dress code, tried to appeal more to a white fan base

Could be. Doesn't really fit in context though.

Now, imagine this …. two dudes from East Saint and the Wild Hunneds on a WaveRunner in the summer of 2000, going back to Zo’s crib to tell him we crashed his damn Jet Ski into his neighbor’s damn speed boat.
That was the old NBA. That was before they wised up.
That don’t exist anymore.

I think he's talking about how the NBA got more professional, instituted the dress code, tried to appeal more to a white fan base

Every single retired nba player aged 30 to 100 says the exact same thing about the nba and their era. It’s like an old folks home “back in my day” on steroids

Back