• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What is the BEST Kanye West album?

?

• Total voters
I was tempted to throw in a vote for 808 & Heartbreak, but College Dropout still strikes me as the best album he's ever made. MBDTF has its moments, as does Yeezus, Late Registration, and Graduation, but College Dropout is still - start to finish - his best record and was damn innovative at the time and still holds up really well.

Glad to hear a variety of responses.

To me, Kanye has taken a fascinating career trajectory. In the beginning, when he first decided to step out beyond producing and get into rapping, he was starry eyed, eager to make a name for himself, and brimming with creativity and talent. He took on poverty, family, religion, consumerism, and clearly showed a humility for life and how lucky he was to walk away from his car accident. His first two albums, to me, are the most lyrically rich, as he masterfully wove a narrative about the world he grew up in and the world as it was unfolding. After the wild success of his first two albums, I think he felt confident enough to start really experimenting with samples on Graduation, the album where he really starts showing off his production chops. Though it's important to note, he keeps a steady stream of producers growing more and more with each album. Graduation was another big hit, so at this point, he starts really buying into the hype, and spreading his wings musically. 808s and Heartbreaks was a huge risk, and for some people it paid off big, and for others, it was the first real stumble of his career. After that, and the formation of his own record label, he really started to re-form his interest in a vast and wide array of music history. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, surrounded by his short film and a ton of media soakage, was then released to the biggest acclaim of his career. To many if not most serious music journalists, it remains the peak of his career. It's intensely personal, dense, dark, thematically and musically rich, challenging but endlessly listenable. It's one of my favorite rap albums of all time. It is also a victim of its own hype. Pitchfork gave it a perfect 10.0 and claimed that it changed hip hop and perhaps music forever, a careless and senseless piece of hyperbole, and many other publications followed suit. Yeezus was the next logical step for a man whose ego had completely overtaken whatever lyrical and musical id he had left. He's running on swagger at this point, and from a sheer power and bass and prowess standpoint, it's just obscenely great to witness. For me, though, as the production value and creativity go up, the lyrical content is generally going down. His political statements nowadays are incredibly myopic and self-serving. His bravado and self-righteousness are a razor thin veneer for a deep-running existential terror that palpably runs roughshod over everything he puts out. It's really compelling stuff, but not exactly the most enjoyable music when you really get into multiple plays.

I think it's really hard to put an objective "best" on his career since the trajectory has been so complicated, if not understandable. To me, I wish he'd get back to the simpler stuff of the first two albums, the simplicity of the ghost-written Rhymesayer days where things seemed effortless instead of meticulous and overbearing. I say seemed because he has always hovered over the tiny details of his work, which is why it almost always sounds amazing. I've been a very harsh critic of the last two albums in spite of my begrudging love of them, and that is almost entirely because of how high he continues to raise the bar.

I think there are far better "rappers" out there than him, I think there are a few better producers out there than him, but in terms of a complete package, he's absolutely at or near the top of the hip-hop game.

don't hate. I can't help that the bar is so low now that this no talent ass clown is considered good. Sorry I don't blow sunshine all day

You are objectively incorrect, sir. Subjectively, you can hate all you like. Haters gon hate. But objectively, there is plenty of good hip hop these days even if you don't like Kanye, whom plenty of people don't.

Top Tier: Odd Future, Black Hippie, GOOD, Maybach
Second Tier: Bruiser Brigade, GBE, Young Money, Pro.Era

And plenty of good solo acts. Saying you don't like something is very different than saying it's bad, and I'd gladly engage this argument with you if you'd like to.

i really think that bake would like odd future and would especially like hodgy beats

You are objectively incorrect, sir. Subjectively, you can hate all you like. Haters gon hate. But objectively, there is plenty of good hip hop these days even if you don't like Kanye, whom plenty of people don't.

Top Tier: Odd Future, Black Hippie, GOOD, Maybach
Second Tier: Bruiser Brigade, GBE, Young Money, Pro.Era

And plenty of good solo acts. Saying you don't like something is very different than saying it's bad, and I'd gladly engage this argument with you if you'd like to.

I don't argue about music really. You're right, it is subjective. I love and live and play and write and sleep and eat music, and hip hop just hasn't moved me in a long time. I was poking fun at your thread/poll and put a winky on it and then your posse swarmed like 5-0

edit: you certainly have your ear to the ground moreso than me so I'll defer to you on this and check those acts out. But Kanye is still very underwhelming

Last edited:
I'm defensive about music today, especially when people say things about how there is no good music today, or that the best days of music are behind us. I think that's partially where the bobknightfan comparison came in, though not from me.

Were the 60s and 70s objectively better music decades than the 90s/00s? Probably, yes. Doesn't mean there isn't a TON of really good music around today.

hey, it's what we old washed up never-was rock musicians do. Without us you guys wouldn't have quite as much motivation to prove us wrong. We're good for each other :thumbsup:

Glad to hear a variety of responses.

To me, Kanye has taken a fascinating career trajectory. In the beginning, when he first decided to step out beyond producing and get into rapping, he was starry eyed, eager to make a name for himself, and brimming with creativity and talent. He took on poverty, family, religion, consumerism, and clearly showed a humility for life and how lucky he was to walk away from his car accident. His first two albums, to me, are the most lyrically rich, as he masterfully wove a narrative about the world he grew up in and the world as it was unfolding. After the wild success of his first two albums, I think he felt confident enough to start really experimenting with samples on Graduation, the album where he really starts showing off his production chops. Though it's important to note, he keeps a steady stream of producers growing more and more with each album. Graduation was another big hit, so at this point, he starts really buying into the hype, and spreading his wings musically. 808s and Heartbreaks was a huge risk, and for some people it paid off big, and for others, it was the first real stumble of his career. After that, and the formation of his own record label, he really started to re-form his interest in a vast and wide array of music history. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, surrounded by his short film and a ton of media soakage, was then released to the biggest acclaim of his career. To many if not most serious music journalists, it remains the peak of his career. It's intensely personal, dense, dark, thematically and musically rich, challenging but endlessly listenable. It's one of my favorite rap albums of all time. It is also a victim of its own hype. Pitchfork gave it a perfect 10.0 and claimed that it changed hip hop and perhaps music forever, a careless and senseless piece of hyperbole, and many other publications followed suit. Yeezus was the next logical step for a man whose ego had completely overtaken whatever lyrical and musical id he had left. He's running on swagger at this point, and from a sheer power and bass and prowess standpoint, it's just obscenely great to witness. For me, though, as the production value and creativity go up, the lyrical content is generally going down. His political statements nowadays are incredibly myopic and self-serving. His bravado and self-righteousness are a razor thin veneer for a deep-running existential terror that palpably runs roughshod over everything he puts out. It's really compelling stuff, but not exactly the most enjoyable music when you really get into multiple plays.

I think it's really hard to put an objective "best" on his career since the trajectory has been so complicated, if not understandable. To me, I wish he'd get back to the simpler stuff of the first two albums, the simplicity of the ghost-written Rhymesayer days where things seemed effortless instead of meticulous and overbearing. I say seemed because he has always hovered over the tiny details of his work, which is why it almost always sounds amazing. I've been a very harsh critic of the last two albums in spite of my begrudging love of them, and that is almost entirely because of how high he continues to raise the bar.

I think there are far better "rappers" out there than him, I think there are a few better producers out there than him, but in terms of a complete package, he's absolutely at or near the top of the hip-hop game.

I don't disagree with this. The more I listen to Yeezus, the more it just completely wears out on me. Love the production, but all in all it's pretty tiring, and most of that feeling comes from the lack of any real content. This coming from someone who pretty much listens to MBDTF (or the half of it that populates my GET SWOLL playlist) daily. At this point, I think you either love him more for this ridiculous swagger and ability to just get fucking crazy, or like him a lot less. He's practically trolling us; but it's still high quality shit.

I'm also pretty drunk, so ignore everything I just posted above

To me it's like this:

MDTF. 10/10
College Dropout 10/10
Late Registration 8.5/10
Yeezus 8.5/10
Graduation 8/10

College Dropout was fantastic- some starry eyed punk kid with a loud mouth who is great with production stole the show with one masterful fluid album.

MDTF is the pinnacle as anyone would say- kanye with all his mastery carved a perfect record, one for the ages.

Yeezus is great- many of the songs will have staying power on my iPod for years to come, but some really just stick out as a shockwave and not as full art.
I know kanye is meticulous and makes sure any of his studio albums are his best work; but some tracks just fall flat for me. His lyrics are at an all time low for a studio album, but like has been said before he is more self serving at this point anyway.

I think it's College Dropout by a pretty good margin. I didn't really care for MDTF, though.

I was between College Dropout and Late Registration but I voted Late Registration mainly due to timing. It came out right when I started at Wake. I remember hearing it blasting in dorm rooms and it seemed like everyone had the bear in the doors as their Facebook picture as they started classes.

Random thoughts...

-Whenever I see the Graduation artwork I always think of Jay Patel and Jacob Martin's Wake Radio show.

-Best (worst?) lyric is "Standing at my podium I'm trying to watch my sodium" by Jeezy on 'Amazing'.

Last edited:
I FEEL LIKE I MISSED AN OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE ALL OF MY POSTS ON THIS THREAD IN ALL CAPS

Do people really think Kanye is meticulous? A dude who shows up at Rick Rubin's doorstep a few weeks before Yeezus is released doesn't strike me as 'meticulous'.

Back