• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What is the Dem plan to make our entitlement programs sustainable?

Oh it would absolutely help solve the problem. The poorest consume an outsized portion of the resources of the government. If we can eliminate them before we're born, think how much more money rich people will be able to keep

$25,000 a year to house an inmate? Forget about it. Your momma didn't want to have you anyway, which was obvious from the day you were born.

Tens of thousands of dollars of social welfare and underperforming schools per kid. Poof! More high speed rail for everyone (less crowded too).

The cost of healthcare is the bigger issue but republicans don't want to address it because it will end poorly for rich people ie either doctors or insurance companies.

Most people are hunting for some magic bullet. Unfortunately there is only one, and it means drastic cuts in spending along with a moderate tax hike across the board.

The other answers include very long term fixes aimed at somehow bolstering the economy along with erasing the debt/deficit. So.. like 300 simultaneous, very long term bullets.

In my opinion a tax hike along with reduced spending (even in defense) is the way to go. Maybe Americans will even get onboard and help themselves out? While we won't be over spending personally or nationally we may learn some work ethic and accountability in the process. Would that really make us a worse off nation? I say no.

There is no way out of this mess without an across the board tax hike and a corresponding across the board cut in spending. No option should be considered unpalatable.

Can we at least get our guys' asses out of the fire before we start cutting defense?

Yup, hiking them taxes worked wonders for FDR...

Returning taxes to reasonable levels after they were foolishly dropped below economic sustainability is not a "tax hike." It's the restoration of fiscal sanity after a decade-long departure. I mean, we're not talking Reagan taxes here. No one is suggesting we go that high.

There is no way out of this mess without an across the board tax hike and a corresponding across the board cut in spending. No option should be considered unpalatable.

100% agreed. This is the obvious answer than anybody without a partisan agenda would agree with.

Across the board is a waste of time and effort. Some programs are underdundedas it is. Most across the board cuts wouldn't amount anything serious.

The first thing it to end the W tax cuts and create new $500K and $1M tax brackets.

Next we have to look at defense spending. We need to bring our troops home from Iraq, Aghanistan and most of them from Europe.

We need to streamline procurement ni all departments and have simple procurement for mass produced products like paper, furniture, computers, etc.

We need to end farm subsidies for all non-family farms.

We need to end all subsidies to the oil and coal industries.

We need a "lock box" for Social Security contributions. That's the only place those dollars can be spent.

That's a start.

Across the board is a waste of time and effort. Some programs are underdundedas it is. Most across the board cuts wouldn't amount anything serious.

The first thing it to end the W tax cuts and create new $500K and $1M tax brackets.

Next we have to look at defense spending. We need to bring our troops home from Iraq, Aghanistan and most of them from Europe.

We need to streamline procurement ni all departments and have simple procurement for mass produced products like paper, furniture, computers, etc.

We need to end farm subsidies for all non-family farms.

We need to end all subsidies to the oil and coal industries.

We need a "lock box" for Social Security contributions. That's the only place those dollars can be spent.

That's a start.

I know you are infamous for your typos buddy, but what????????

100% agreed. This is the obvious answer than anybody without a partisan agenda would agree with.

I have a partisan agenda, and I agree with it.

People who can do math, UNITE! Big tent fiscal sanity!

Most people are hunting for some magic bullet. Unfortunately there is only one, and it means drastic cuts in spending along with a moderate tax hike across the board.

The other answers include very long term fixes aimed at somehow bolstering the economy along with erasing the debt/deficit. So.. like 300 simultaneous, very long term bullets.

In my opinion a tax hike along with reduced spending (even in defense) is the way to go. Maybe Americans will even get onboard and help themselves out? While we won't be over spending personally or nationally we may learn some work ethic and accountability in the process. Would that really make us a worse off nation? I say no.

This is the only sustainable way to do this. Increase taxes on the megarich through decreased deductions and slash defense, ag payments to agribusiness, and combine programs and hold them accountable. Also, once the budget is balanced, pass a balanced budget amendment that will lock in the surpluses with "emergency" spending only to be allowed for natural disasters and DECLARED wars. That spending should also have to be "paid back" over the five years after it was spent.

Back